Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lots of questions.

I have previously considered running away, but then sought out legal emancipation. I was all ready to go, lawyer and all...and my mom packs up and moves me to a state where there is NO legal emancipation. I don't want to run away simply because I feel the need to graduate high school.

I am currently 16, a senior in highschool.
    My parents are trying so hard to ship me off to schools I don't want to, and into professions I don't want. They are trying..I know they are but its not right for me. They are controlling and honestly, there is previous abuse (while its no longer that way) I can't get over it. I can't forgive my mother yet for past problems that seep into today. Its not a healthy environment for either of us, or her new husband.

After graduation I will be 17. (I turn 18 in October 09)
    I am going to go move in with my best friends family, they have offered to let me move in before.
    I will either be attending summer college, or working. maybe both.
    But would that be considered running away? I mean I doubt they will say yes to just letting me go move out. I am then going to attend the local tech school there or get a job (depending on my fiances) I'm still going to college, I'm just not doing it there way.

My question is, if I leave home AFTER I graduate, a few months prior to my 18th birthday can it still be running away? and Could my friends family have to deal with harboring a runaway? I really don't want to put them in that place. I don't know how my family will react. which is frustrating.

Re: lots of questions.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us and sharing your frustrating situation with us and the bulletin boards. You seems to be going through many things that are currently hanging over your shoulders.
    In refernece to your emancipation, were your parents aware of your attempts to be emancipated? How did that go?

Do your parents know that you don't want to go to particular schools/follow certain professions? They do seem to be controling, as you stated before. Even though you are underage and they are still your legal guardians, they can't force you to go to a school or do something you don't want to do. How is the pressure coming through from them?

As far as we know (and you can call your local police department to make sure) the legal age of adulthood is 18 in most states. So if that's correct for your state, if you were to leave home without your parents knowing/allowing, you can be considered a runaway if they reported that to the police. Even if you were to leave just a couple of months before your turing 18, that family might still be charged with harboring a runaway.

If you have more questions or want to follow up with us, please give us a call if you are able and willing at 1800.RUNAWAY 24hrs a day. We are available for you when you cann and our hotline is anonymous and confidential.

Best of luck,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Thank you!

No, my parents did not know I was looking into emancipation, simply because I know that would lead to bad circumstances. I was not ready to file, therefore they did not need to know about it yet. They do not want me to leave home, they are controlling.

They are saying I have two choices, and that if I don't go to the school they tell me too then I will have to join the military. They want me to go to a military college currently, and I want nothing to do with the military. I have moral and political opposition at the moment.

I am in SC.
      I have heard something that you can leave home at the age of 17. But I need ways to confirm, and my school guidance counselors do not seem to be the best.

It is a very difficult situation.
      I can't explain it all, but I am emotionally worn to extreme points.
      I want to leave as soon as possible, however I don't want to screw up my education. I have dreams and plans and running away at 16 or 17 makes that difficult.
      GR.

Comment

Thanks for sharing a little more information about what’s going on. It does sound like a difficult situation. It sure sounds like you’re pretty desperate to get out of your house, but you still want to continue your education. From what you wrote, you will graduate high school at the age of 17 and not turn 18 until October, but you want to move out after high school graduation. It’s possible that in some areas at the age of 17, you wouldn’t be considered a runaway. The problem with “confirming” this is that a lot of times it’s up to individual police department’s discretion. In many areas, we’ve discovered, that at 17 a youth isn’t legally considered an adult, but the police won’t take a runaway report or enforce that the youth return home if they do leave. In some of these areas, if you were to call the local police department and ask them what their normal procedures are, they’ll tell you that at 17 they don’t do much. But other areas are still going to say what the law says. Are you comfortable calling your local police to ask them what they generally do for 17 year olds that leave the house? Or maybe there’s an adult in your life that would be willing to find out that information from the police. If you find out that you can’t legally leave your home until you turn 18, what will be your plan of action?

If you’re willing and able, you can always call our hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY, to talk more in depth about any of this. We may also be able to call your local police department for you and ask them for this information, if you’re not comfortable doing it yourself. Remember, someone is available 24/7, so you can call anytime.
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

Sorry to hear that things are still continually getting worse at home. It sounds like you are well aware of some of the struggles you’re having as a result of all this, and it’s too bad your mom won’t let you see your therapist. Is there a way you could call your therapist instead? Or talking to a counselor at school? It’s great to hear that you want to continue your education no matter what happens. Hopefully when you call the police, the answer will be the one you want to hear! Keep us in mind if you need help with anything else. We’re always here and we’re completely confidential.

Comment

Your parents cannot force you to join the military. It is an individual decision and usually you can't join until you're 18 unless you have parental consent, but that doesn't mean your parents can force you to join. I just thought you should know that.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
            x
            x
            Working...
            X