• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod5
    replied
    re: Running away and police

Hey there,

Thank you for being able to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline, we want you to know that we are here to listen and to help you in the best way we can, we are a non-judgmental hotline.

You ask a great question! So, we want to start off by letting you know that we are not legal experts here, meaning that we can only speak in general terms about a situation like that. In most states, you are still considered a minor, meaning that if you were to run away, your mother would be able to file a police report. Because you are 17, that is a gray area, some counties handle 17 year old runaways differently, some will force you to return home, and others would let you stay where you are as long as you are safe. There is also a law named “harboring a runaway” which means that the person you are staying with could potentially get into some legal trouble for letting you stay in their home, in this case, your boyfriend, so just like the runaway laws, this too would also depend on how your county would handle the situation. The charges for running away vary from fines to jail time. The best way you would be able to find out the answers to these questions is by reaching out to your local police department and asking these general questions or by reaching out to a legal aid. If you are nervous about contacting a police department, you can always give us a call and we would be able to make that call for you. If you are interested in reaching out to a legal aid, you can also give us a call and we would be able to provide you with that number for a legal aid in your area.

We hope that we were able to give you some general information, if would like to further explore some options or want to just talk to someone about what is going on, please feel free to reach out to us. We are here 24/7 and we also have a live chat service which is available every day from 4:30 to 11:30 CST. We wish you the best of luck in whatever it is you decide to do and hope to hear from you soon.

Stay strong,

NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Running away and police

Running away and police

Im 17 and if i moved in with my boyfriend could my mom have him arrested? Im not going to move in with him, that question just popped in my head right now.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
x
x
Working...
X