Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im 18 and my pregnant girlfriend is 17

My pregnant girlfriend is 17 years old and turns 18 in just under 6 months. Her parents have been treating her very poorly and it's getting to her .
    they prevent her from talking to me writing letters to me and seeing me. I show up at the baby appointments ( her school friend relays messages to me) and her parents force her to sit on the other side of the room with them. What is bad is before the pregnancy everything was normal they allowed us to have a relationship ( I was 17 she was just turning 17) everything was fine. Now they are treating her like a slave of she dosent obey them and do everything they say at that very moment she is forced to stay in her room. We want to so badly pack her things up and move her in over night while her parents work. She has just under 2 credits left we would find a way to get her into a school near us which you earn a credit a month. We are devadevastated sted and have no options left . She is going to call the local police soon but I was looking for advice here as well. Thank you

Hi there,

It sounds like a really difficult situation that you’re going through with your pregnant girlfriend. The times surrounding pregnancy and childbirth are extremely stressful for many people, and it sounds like situations between you and her parents are making things even more difficult. Hopefully we can help you out.

It must be very difficult to have such limited contact with your girlfriend during her pregnancy. It seems like you are curious if some of the limitations that her parents are placing upon you are illegal, and it also seems like you are curious about runaway laws as they may affect both you and her. We aren’t legal experts, but we can give you some general information about runaway laws in the United States. Running away is generally not a criminal offense, but rather a status offense, like breaking curfew. Therefore, in most of the U.S., it is difficult for a runaway youth to be arrested or detained for running away. Adults who house the runaway may be criminally responsible for harboring a runaway. This is something you may want to be aware of if you choose to house your girlfriend. We are unsure of how your girlfriend’s pregnancy may change the legality of her running away, but that is something you may want to ask the non-emergency local police when you contact them.

Runaways do have the right to attend school even if they have run away. The McKinney-Vento Act guarantees youth the right to enroll in school without proof of guardianship. If you would like more information about this legal act, please call us at 1-800-786-2929. You also can feel free to call us about anything else you may need. In the meantime, best of luck.

-NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X