18 runaway in Alabama

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18 runaway in Alabama

so ive read that you can't legally move out until you're 19, but you can be tried as an adult at 18? I just wondered if there was a way around that? I have my own job and I pay my own bills and I could afford moving out. my parents are being completely ridiculous about a situation and are trying to step in and be parents when it's way too late. ive always been responsible for myself and I want to continue to be.

Re: 18 runaway in Alabama

Hello there,

Thanks for reaching out and sharing your situation on our bulletin boards. We aren’t legal experts, but recognize that some states extend certain legal milestones, although in most cases the federal legal age of adulthood is 18. It may be that the state of Alabama recognize you as an adult in many cases at 18, but still require your parents/guardians provide for you up to age 19. To be sure, you have the option of checking with your local law enforcement or legal aid. We can help you through these options and can even offer resources if we know your city/general area.

It sounds like you’re trying to prepare as much as you can before leaving which is great. At the same time, it sounds like your parents are not as understanding and are unfortunately not as supportive with you moving out. Hopefully this gives you a start and please know we are around to chat or talk. Good luck!
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X