I'm 17 need information

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm 17 need information

Hi I want to leave home but don't want the cops to find me. If I leave a note to my family saying 'I'll be safe and protected and don't look for me' can the police still look for me even if I don't want that. I mean I left before but got drag back home by family members but this time I have it plan.... has been for a year and I'll keep contact with a friend so she can let my family know I'm a least alive. I just need information if I need to know anything before I leave.

re: I'm 17 need information

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out today. It sounds like you’re trying to think through a plan and a way to move out without getting the police involved. That’s smart. We’re glad that you reached out and asked these questions. Let’s see how we can help you out.

So we aren’t legal experts here, but we are able to speak generally about this. If you decide to leave home without your guardian’s permission, then your guardians have the right to file a runaway report with the police. Unfortunately, even if you leave a note saying that you are safe, the police could still look for you. A note doesn’t change the way that police have to legally respond to a runaway report. Now, even though a note doesn’t change much, because you are 17, the police are less likely to look for you. In some places in Texas, since you are 17, the police will not actively look for you. And if they find you, then they would not bring you back (as long as you are in a safe place). If you want to know if you live in a place like that in Texas, you can always call your local police department and ask them questions like “If a 17 year old left home without their guardian’s permission, would you take a runaway report? If you found a 17 year old, would you bring them back home?” Sometimes that can be a good way to get a more specific answer.

We hope that this is a helpful start for you. It’s good that you have a safe place to stay and are thinking through who you can depend on if you leave. Know that we are here to support you in whatever you decide to do. If you want help calling the police, you can give us a call too and ask us to do that for you. You can call us 24 hours a day at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chat with us through our website (www.1800runaway.org) from 4.30pm-11.30pm central time.

We look forward to your call or chat.

Best of luck to you,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I need help

Ok if I leave with my boyfriend that they don't know about and I'm pregnant can I stay with him.... if my parents call the cops saying I ran away and if they find me, they can't bring me back right?

Comment

RE: i need help

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us here at The National Runaway Safeline sounds like you’re dealing with a lot, which is making you want to leave home. We’re not legal experts but some general information we can give you is : Running away, usually, isn’t a criminal offense. That just means that you usually wouldn’t face any criminal charges. Running away is a status offense, so what usually happens is your parents would have the option of filling a runaway report with the local police department and a runaway report is just notification to the authorities that you left without the permission of your parents. If a runaway report is filled and you we’re found by the police they would just return you home, under normal circumstances. If you we’re to live with an adult without your parents’ permission, all adults that you are staying with can be charged with harboring a runaway (sometimes called contributing to the delinquency of a minor), these are criminal offenses and are punishable under the law. The way those charges would be handled varies from state to state. You can always reach out to your local police department and ask some general anonymous questions about this.

Some questions you should ask yourself before leaving is
        • Is where I’m going safe?
        • How would I provide money, food, transportation?
        • What is my plan if this one doesn’t work?

You also mentioned that you are pregnant, a resource you could reach out to is Planned Parenthood, 1-800-230-7526. They might be able to provide you with the legal answers you’re your looking for or some place that can.
        We’re really glad you reached out to us. It’s really good to see you go over your options and thinking them all the way through. If you would like to talk further about your situation, please feel free to call or chat with us. We can be reached 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x
        Working...
        X