• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod6
    replied
    RE: Want to move into dad's house.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I'm 14 and living with my mom and her husband. My mom and dad divorced when I was really young (I forget when) but I'm unhappy living with my mom, no there's no abuse involved, I have my reasons. Only problem is, my mom doesn't want me to move in with my dad, no I haven't suggested it or asked about it, I just know she would say no, and I would probably get in a lot of trouble for wanting to move in with him. Basically my mom hates my dad because she thinks he wronged him during the marriage. Also both my older brothers had left her and lived with dad at one point or another and she would be very angry if I even suggested moving in with my dad. Is there any legal way that I can move in with my dad on my own accord, before I turn 18, I cannot wait that long. I don't want to get myself or my dad in trouble legally by just running away, but I want to be able to just get out of there without her knowing I am even going to leave, trust me when I say if she knew I was going to move, she would make my life an absolute living hell. Thank you all very much for helping me with this.
    Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. You mentioned that you are feeling unhappy and wanting to live with your father. We are sorry to hear you feel living at home with your mom is making you feel unhappy. For many, home life is meant to be supportive, loving, and comforting. It seems that although you have not mentioned anything to your mother about living with your father, you believe she would not approve of it at all. It sounds quite overwhelming for you to be going through this. Having a space to talk about what is going on may be helpful. We are here to listen and to help as best as we can and want you to know that you do not have to deal with this alone.

In regards to legal ways that you can move in with your dad, we cannot speak definitively, but the court would most likely be involved since you are a minor. If your dad has legal guardianship over you, you may be able to go stay with him, however, there is a chance that your mother may decide to take your father to court to determine your living situation in the presence of a judge since she is also your legal guardian. We are wondering what your father thinks about this and if he has tried to have you legally stay with him more frequently to help you spend some time away from your mom since it seems stressful living with her full-time. Another option may be to emancipate yourself, but that tends to be a long process which entails standing before a judge proving you are independent and self-sufficient as well as having your legal guardians go to court. It is often best to reach out to a family lawyer to learn more about emancipation or legal ways that you can stay with your father. We could explore some options and resources with you if you reached out by phone or through live chat.

If you would like to talk more about what you are going through or in need of some resources, please consider calling our direct crisis line at 1-800-786-2929 or utilizing our live chat service which operates during the hours of 4:30pm-11:30pm Central Standard Time (CST). Live chat can be accessed from our website at www.1800runaway.org

Thank you again for reaching out! We look forward to hearing from you soon and wish you well.

Take care,

NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Want to move into dad's house.

Want to move into dad's house.

I'm 14 and living with my mom and her husband. My mom and dad divorced when I was really young (I forget when) but I'm unhappy living with my mom, no there's no abuse involved, I have my reasons. Only problem is, my mom doesn't want me to move in with my dad, no I haven't suggested it or asked about it, I just know she would say no, and I would probably get in a lot of trouble for wanting to move in with him. Basically my mom hates my dad because she thinks he wronged him during the marriage. Also both my older brothers had left her and lived with dad at one point or another and she would be very angry if I even suggested moving in with my dad. Is there any legal way that I can move in with my dad on my own accord, before I turn 18, I cannot wait that long. I don't want to get myself or my dad in trouble legally by just running away, but I want to be able to just get out of there without her knowing I am even going to leave, trust me when I say if she knew I was going to move, she would make my life an absolute living hell. Thank you all very much for helping me with this.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
x
x
Working...
X