No announcement yet.

Living alone at 17

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Living alone at 17

    My daughter is seventeen, and her father wants her to move out and live with me. However, I live in another state and she is about to enter her senior year. Is there a way I could rent an apartment in my name and let her live alone so she can finish school?

  • #2
    RE: Living alone at 17


    Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline and sharing with us some of what has been going on. It sounds like there is a lot going on with your daughter and her dad and he feels that it is best for her to live with you. However, you mentioned that you are in another state and it sounds like you want her to finish out her high school. That is understandable that you would want to finish where she had started. It sounds like you are doing what you can to support her, even if she is in another state. We are not legal experts, but we can speak in general terms. Generally if you are giving her permission to live elsewhere, then there should not be an issue in terms of the law. You can always call the local police department and ask them. If you do not feel comfortable talking to the police we have a database full of legal aid numbers that we can provide to you if you call our hotline. We look forward to hearing from you and we wish you the best of luck.

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove