Parent problems and I'm 17

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parent problems and I'm 17

Hi and I thank anyone who can give me any advise in advance. So I'm 17 and my parents have in the past kicked me out of their home. The time before last they had me in a 24- hour facility for 35 days because they kicked me out and then called 911 saying I was a runaway. This last time I was kicked out I moved in with a family member and was put under the McKinney Vento Act. I've constantly been going to school and I've been looking for a job. My parents have told me I need a job before I get my license but I can't find a job during the week because I don't have the time or transportation and I don't have the money to get my license and insurance because I don't have a job. I want to know if they can legally take me out of my home in which I'm residing and put me in lock down? Meaning I cannot do anything to find work and I'm locked in my house at all times except for school. I want to know my legal rights for being a teen and living in Florida. My parents have threatened to put me in a detention center or another but longer 24-hour lock up facility. I want to know since they kicked me out, am I legally responsible for myself and can I move out of my family Members house without their consent?

Hello there, thanks for reaching out today.

Sounds like you have been through so much with your parents. It seems very manipulative for them to kick you out and then report you as a runaway. You deserve so much better than that.

If they kick you out again, just so you know you do have the right to report your parents kicking you out to child protective services (CPS) since it is considered neglect to kick out a minor before they turn 18. To learn more about your reporting options, you might reach out to the expert child advocates at Child Help 1-800-422-4453.

That seems so excessive that you had to go to a youth facility for 35 days, since typically you are just returned home if you are listed as a runaway. We are not legal experts, but we can answer your question generally. Typically, running away is a status offense due to your age rather than being illegal. Again, generally when you are listed as a runaway, if you are found you would be returned to your parents. Sometimes states have youth juvenile justice programs for youth who have committed status offenses, and it sounds like your parents might have elected to put you in that facility rather than that being the standard procedure for youth who are listed as runaway. That seems incredibly hurtful that they would do that. If you have any prior offenses or were found doing something illegal, that might have also influenced you entering that facility. From our knowledge, you have to do something wrong to be entered into a detention center. It is not something that your parents can just decide to put you in without you getting in trouble with the law. It sounds like you are asking: since they kicked you out in the past and then filed you as a runaway are you now considered a legal adult and can move out without consent? Unfortunately, you are still considered a minor and are not a legal adult at the age of 17. The majority age or the age you can leave home without permission and are considered an adult is 18. Again, you to do have the right to report the neglect if they do kick you out again.

That seems unfair that they are making you get a license before you can get a job, but will not assist you with transportation to the DMV to get your license. We have a conference call service if you ever would want to have a mediate conversation with your parents. It can be a safe space to talk about how you are feeling living at home, and/or how you need assistance to get your license, and work towards compromises. We set rules for the call that include no interrupting and no being disrespectful so they are forced to hear you out.

We hope this information helps inform you. We truly want to be a support for you during this difficult time. Please do not hesitate to call or chat us so we can best help.

-NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X