Running away at 16

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running away at 16

I live in dallas texas. my mom is an alcoholic and my father is just as bad as her. They claim that im a waste of space but when I try to leave they get mad. I want to runaway I know they will file a police report and look for me but if I turn 18 and the police still dont find me will i get any charges or go to jail or will that police report drop when im 18. I stay inTEXAS by dallas.

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We are here to help. It sounds like what you are going through is very difficult and you aren’t feeling very safe at home with your parents. It seems like you parents are being verbally abusive; you don’t deserve to be treated this way. We want you to know that we prioritize your safety and you do have the right to call 911 if your safety feels threatened. If you are in need of a safe place, we urge you to call us at 1-800-Runaway.

We are not legal experts but, if you do chose to runaway, it is important for you to know that if your parents do file a runaway report and you are not yet 18, the police will have to bring you home, unless they have reason to believe your home is not a safe place. If you feel that your parents are being abusive, you do have the right to make a report with Child Protective Services. Child Help USA is an information and referral line that can connect you with your local CPS abuse hotline. You can reach them at 1-800-422-4453. We are here to help if you need it if you chose to make a report. To answer your question, police will generally not do anything if you are listed as a runaway after you turn 18.

Thank you for reaching out to us. It takes a lot to ask for help. You are trying to figure out your options, which is really great to see. If you would like to discuss further, please do not hesitate to chat or call with us. We are here to help 24/7.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X