Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will my friend get in trouble? He’s 18 and I’m 15...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will my friend get in trouble? He’s 18 and I’m 15...

I’ve been miserable at home and school, and my friend said that he would take me in. I asked if it could be this summer (when I turn 16), but he said no because it’s illegal. I wanted to know if it was actually illegal or if he was mistaken. I don’t want him to get in trouble because then he wouldn’t be able to help me at all. I’m in New Jersey and he is in Pennsylvania.

Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline. We are very sorry to hear that you are miserable at home and school. Talking to someone that you trust like a school counselor could help. Unless you have permission from your guardians to move out, your friend is correct. It would be illegal for you to move in with your friend at the age of 16 because you are considered a minor. If you were to leave out without your guardian's consent they could file a runaway report. With a runaway report, if the police find you they would return you home. If they were to find you at your friend's house, he could get charged with harboring a runaway. You could try asking your guardian's if they would allow you to stay with another family member or close friend. You may also want to consider looking into emancipation options once you turn 16. If you have any other questions or just need to talk, please feel free to contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-768-2929), email, or live chat.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X