No announcement yet.

Im 18 and I want to move in with my grandma

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Im 18 and I want to move in with my grandma

    Im 18 and I've been having some problems at home. I was wondering if there is anyway im able to moving in with my grandma without my moms permission.

  • #2
    Hi there,

    Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are going through a tough situation with the problems you are having at home, but we are here to support you and help you in any way we can. In most states the legal adult age is 18. This means that you have the right to make your own choices and don’t need to ask permission from your mom to leave to your grandma’s. A place you can look to see is this gives the specific legal age for each state. Also, it could be good to discuss with you grandma what it might look like to live with her and what her expectations would be.

    Just so you know if you would like to discuss your situation more in depth you can contact us immediately at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We are a completely confidential hotline that is available 24 hours a day. There is always someone available to provide support, discuss options, and find resources in your area if needed. We also have an online crisis chat set up that is currently available from 4:30p to 11:30p CST. Please feel free to reach out to us anytime. Take care.

    National Runaway Safeline

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp