I can't take it

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't take it

My parents aren't physically abusive. It's happened a couple times in the past but not since July 4th of 2014. But the emotional and mental abuse is almost as bad. I cant take it. My mom and dad have both looked me in the eyes and called me fat lazy and worthless. And ice been seeing this great guy who takes the pain away and makes me feel good about myself. Ik I'm only 17 but we're engaged and he wants me to live with him. And I want to as well. I know I'm very mature for my age. I have 2 possible jobs lined up. And I have my work permit and photo ID. I plan on being emancipated. But I was wondering if theirs any other options. I live in Pennsylvania. Like I said I'm 17 and I'll be 18 in May. And I can't take it anymore. Can you please please help me.

re: I can't take it

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out today and sharing a bit about what you’re dealing with. It’s clear that you’re dealing with so much at home. You never deserve to be treated that way by your parents. They are wrong to call you names like that. You deserve to live in a safe and supportive place where you are valued. Let’s see how we can help you out today.

It’s really smart of you to ask what options you have available to you. It’s difficult to say for sure because we aren’t entirely aware of everything that you’re dealing with. In some places across the US, if you are 17, the police won’t make you go back home if you have already left at 17. We want to speak more with you though so that we can explore options with you and make sure that you are safe no matter what you decide to do.

If you’d like to talk more, please call or chat with us so that we can explore more. You can call us 24 hours a day at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chat with us through our website (www.1800runaway.org) from 4.30pm-11.30pm central time.

We look forward to your call or chat.

Best of luck to you,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

It's hard

It's me again I just got called in for another interview. And I can't find any other options. So I think I'm going to be emancipated. I'm scared IDK how they will react to getting the notice. But I'm prepared for it. My bf is talking to a lawyer about it. I looked into a few other options and none of them look like they will work. But if you think of anything I'll consider anything.

Comment

Also

Do you know what places that is that they can't make me come back

Comment

Re: It's hard

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us again. It sounds like you have been exploring more possibilities for yourself which is really good to hear. You shared that you got another interview which is great news, it sounds like you are really trying to think through your future.

We’re not legal experts, but the little information that we do know about emancipation is that it can be a long and expensive process. It looks like your boyfriend has already been talking to a lawyer about this option which is really good to hear. Hopefully the lawyer can provide some more information about what this process would look like in the state of Pennsylvania. Here are some additional resources that you can contact for more information on emancipation as well:

Youth Advocate (814) 849 1237
          Legal Services, Inc (717) 243 9400
          Middle Pennsylvania Legal Services, Inc (717) 264 5354

Please do not hesitate to call or chat with us if you would like to talk further. We’re here to listen and help as much as we can.

Good luck and stay safe,
          NRS
          Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

Re: Also

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to us again. So it sounds like you’re wondering what places would make you go back home, and what places would let you stay where you decide as a 17 year old. Unfortunately because we are not legal experts we do not have this information. You have the option of calling your local law enforcement and asking hypothetical questions about 17 year old runaways and how they handle them, without giving your identifying information. If this is something you would like assistance with, you can always call us and we can do a conference call with your local non-emergency police or make a call out to them on your behalf.

Please do call or chat with us if you would like to talk more.

Good luck and stay safe,
            NRS

Comment

Me again

I found out by the time I get emancipated I'll already be of legal age. So I'm running away. I can't take this house anymore. I keep looking up whatll happen and all ice seen is that in the state of Pennsylvania is that as long as you or someone else can take care of you and you can prove your not harm to your self or others your fine they can't take you back home. And I have people who are willing and I had that other interviews today it went extremely well. Wish me luck!!

Comment

My last straw

This was my last straw. It started because my dad was mad because I left and my dog got out and I wasn't home. Mind you I never go anywhere. I'm always in my room or the living room. On top of that his dog always gets out and runs the park and he won't get up and go get him no I have to. Then he got mad and told me I wasn't eating tonight I laughed and said Idc. Well skip forward maybe an hour or so and my mom and step dad came home and brought the food. And my mom told me to get my stuff and I was in the process of taking my books to my room when she was talking I couldn't stop cause there was like 5 of them and they were heavy so when I came back out my mom starts yelling at me and when smacks me because she said I stormed passed her and ignored her. I mean it I'm done this time as soon as my bf can come get me I'm gone I can't take it she hasn't touched me sense the fourth of July and the reason she did that is because I said I didn't wanna live here so she beat the crap out of me so bad I was on the floor and sense she couldn't punch me anymore she started kicking me. And not to long before that day me and my step dad got into a fight and he smacked me so hard I ended up hitting my head on the stove. Ik some kids get abused everyday but I can't take this. I'm gone.

Comment

Re: Me again

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us again here at the National Runaway Safeline. So it sounds like you have been doing some research on your own about your situation which is a wonderful step to take.

It sounds like you have decided that you’re going to run away, and you have gotten information that if you are safe, they will not bring you back home. The laws vary state by state, even by county so if that is something you found about your area, which is great. We’re not experts here so it is good to get information local to you.

At this time we have provided several resources, so for further support, we strongly encourage you to contact us directly at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929), and look forward to your call. Lastly, please note that we offer a live chat via our website at www.1800runaway.org every day from 4:30p to 11:30p CST.

Good luck and stay safe,
                  NRS

Comment

Re: my last straw

Hi there,

Thank you so much for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you have been going through so much at home and we are really glad that you have contacted us about everything going on. We’re here to help you out as much as we can.

It sounds like you have experienced a lot of abuse in the past, and though it hasn’t happened lately it sounds like you are still feeling unsafe in some moments, which is understandable. You deserve to feel safe in your own home. You do not deserve to have experienced the abuse that you have, and you have the right to report it. If you would like to make a report, you can call us for assistance at 1800runaway (786 2929), or you can call Child Protective Services for your state, or a third option would be contacting Child Help USA at (800) 422 4453.

It sounds like you are set on leaving because of everything that has happened recently. It sounds very stressful fighting with your mom and stepdad, and it is not right for them to deny you food because of a fight. We’re not legal experts, but generally speaking if you leave without their consent before the age of 18, they’d have the right to make a runaway report. If a report is made and the police find you, they would just bring you back home. However, anyone that you stay with could potentially be charged for harboring. Do you have ideas of a safe place that you would go to if you leave home?

We’re not here to tell you what to do, we’re just here to help keep you safe. If you would like to talk further about your situation, please do not hesitate to call or chat with us. We’re here to support you.

Good luck and stay safe,
                    NRS
                    Last edited by ccsmod6; 06-27-2015, 06:57 AM.

Comment

To last straw or any kiddo out there in pain

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                      This was my last straw. It started because my dad was mad because I left and my dog got out and I wasn't home. Mind you I never go anywhere. I'm always in my room or the living room. On top of that his dog always gets out and runs the park and he won't get up and go get him no I have to. Then he got mad and told me I wasn't eating tonight I laughed and said Idc. Well skip forward maybe an hour or so and my mom and step dad came home and brought the food. And my mom told me to get my stuff and I was in the process of taking my books to my room when she was talking I couldn't stop cause there was like 5 of them and they were heavy so when I came back out my mom starts yelling at me and when smacks me because she said I stormed passed her and ignored her. I mean it I'm done this time as soon as my bf can come get me I'm gone I can't take it she hasn't touched me sense the fourth of July and the reason she did that is because I said I didn't wanna live here so she beat the crap out of me so bad I was on the floor and sense she couldn't punch me anymore she started kicking me. And not to long before that day me and my step dad got into a fight and he smacked me so hard I ended up hitting my head on the stove. Ik some kids get abused everyday but I can't take this. I'm gone.
                      I wish I could get in touch with you. There are former foster parents around the country who get sick and tired of seeing kids fall through the cracks, so we quit. We have no kids of our own and would do anything to help someone like yourself out. We wish there was a way to reach out to kids who are in your situation whom we could open our door to, just because we have no kids of our own. We understand that parenting doesn't end at 18 that an 18 yr old needs care and support. I think the "system" forgets that just because someone turns 18 doesn't mean they are emotionally or mentally prepared to take on the world. We live very far from you. We are on the west coast so to speak. But we wish the best of luck to you. We wish there was a way to help anyone out there who needed a safe haven.

Comment

Re: To last straw or any kiddo out there in pain

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out and utilizing our bulletin boards. It sounds like you’ve got a big heart and recognize that even at 18, things are not always easy. While we are not in a position to help connect young people to individuals offering up space in their homes, we do have a large database with different types of resources such as housing or drop in centers. If you are interested in volunteering your time to help young people, many local resources such as runaway/homeless youth shelter or transitional living programs offer volunteer opportunities. We do not know where you are located, but if you are in the U.S., here are a few places you can check out.

National Safe Place http://www.nationalsafeplace.org/

Family and Youth Services Bureau http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/fysb.../fysb-grantees

One other place to check out is Covenant House which provides housing programs primarily in the U.S., but has a few other locations internationally as well. Also, if we know your exact city/state, we can do a more concentrated search to see what types of youth resources are available in your area. https://www.covenanthouse.org/

Thanks again for your concern for young people aging out of foster care and best of luck in your humanitarian efforts!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        x
                        Working...
                        X