Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent

My name is Kaye. I am 17 years old and I love in Texas. My uncle was given custody rights on me at the age of 3 and my aunt was never put on that. My uncle died along with my brother and grandma last year and my aunts and my relationship has gone to hell. As my aunt has no custody rights over me she is my payer on my bank account for social security survivors benefits. Can I move out since I have no one to emancipate me??

Hi Kaye,

Thank you for reaching out to us today. We're so sorry to hear about your losses and how your home life has been since all of those changes. We're here 24/7 to listen and to support.

It sounds like you have a lot of questions about custody and whether you can leave or not. We are not legal experts, and it seems that you would most be helped by someone that could speak to your specific situation. If you give us a call we can connect you to legal aid in your area that could help you with the questions that you have. One group you could reach out to would be the Legal services of North Texas at 214-744-5277. Their office hours are 9:00 am-12:00 pm Monday through Friday. If you have problems contacting them or want resources in your immediate area, again, give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) and we can look those up for you.

Generally speaking, running away s not a crime but being a minor could lead the police to return you to your home if they find you. Since it seems that there is question who has custody over you this could not be the case, but the best way to find that out for sure would be to contact legal aid.

Good Luck,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X