Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15 with parental disagreements

I am a fifteen year old in the state of Iowa, my parents try to keep me from my one friend who has legitimately never done anything wrong in her life. However due to some comments directed at herself my parents believe she is mentally unstable, which she in no way is. With her being my only friend and me essentially being her only friend I dont want my parents to stop us from spending time outside of school. Could there be any legal reprocussions if I go against my parents wishes and leave my home to spend time with her? thank you.

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline and posting to our forum. It sounds like you really care about your friend and cherish her friendship. It must be difficult how your parent’s are trying to keep you from her. Are there any extra-curricular activities at you school that you and your friend could join together to spend more time together? It also sounds like you have tried talking and standing up for your friend already, but is there a person that you trust that could help mediate a conversation between you and your parents to help you express your concerns/needs for this friendship?

Because we are not legal experts, we can’t tell you what would happen if you left home to go see your friend. At age 15, your parents still are your legal guardian, which gives them the responsibility to take care of you in the way they think is best. One potential situation you may want to consider is if you left with out permission or your parent’s knowledge, your parents may think that you ran away and may potentially file a police report. In general, once a police report is filed, the investigation would begin and the first places they would look are your friend and families place. You can’t get arrested for running away but you could get a status offense (status = minor/ & offense = running away). If found by the police, the police would return you to your home.

Just so you know if you would like to discuss your situation more in depth you can contact us immediately at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We are a completely confidential hotline that is available 24 hours a day. There is always someone available to provide support, discuss options, and find resources in your area if you have more questions. We also have an online crisis chat set up that is currently available from 4:30p to 11:30p CST.

Please feel free to reach out to us anytime and it great your asking questions to see how you can continue to spend time with your friend.

Best of Luck,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X