No announcement yet.

Might Get Kicked Out At 16

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Might Get Kicked Out At 16

    Ummmm, hi. My name is Barry and I live in Florida. My parents and I have never gotten along very well, and recently things have gotten worse. They keep telling me to have a escape plan, and that they don't want me in my house anymore. I've tried to talk to them about this, but they either don't understand, but more likely they just don't care. They think that just because everyone in the house acts a certain way, than I have to act that way too. They don't let me be myself, and it hurts. Sometimes I think about what's going to happen when I turn 16.
    But say that they kick me out on my sixteenth birthday. I would most likely leave town, and probably the state. I have no other living family, and I can't stay with my friends. If my parents kick me out, am I technically still a runaway? I had no choice but to leave. If my parents kick me out, then report me missing, are they in the wrong, or am I? Is it still possible to live a better life without them? What about emancipation? What if I do try and get emancipated, but it doesn't work and I get kicked out anyways?

  • #2
    Hello there, thanks for reaching out today. It sounds like your parents have been saying some incredibly hurtful things to you lately. You do not deserve to be spoken to like that. You should be risen up at home, not put down like constantly like that.

    It is illegal for your parents to kick you out at 16, and that could be seen as neglect by Child Protective Services (CPS). You do have the right to either call 911 or CPS if you are kicked out of your house. If you call the National Child Abuse Hotline also known as Child Help at 1-800-422-4453 they would redirect you to your local abuse hotline. You can also call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY if you would like assistance reporting. If your parents kick you out, know that is not the same as running away, and you do have some rights.

    If your parents want you out so bad, you might try to see if they would give you permission to live elsewhere. It is legal for you to live anywhere with your guardian's permission. You mentioned that you do not have family or friends that you can go to, you might let your pare We can look for youth shelters in your area if you would like. Please call or chat us if you would like those resources. Emancipation is the court process where you would need to prove that you are financially self-sufficient and that you have a plan to live on your own. Emancipation laws vary state to state so please call or chat if us if you would like to talk about the specifics of Florida's emancipation.

    Please do not hesitate to call or chat us if you need resources or need to talk. We really want to help.



    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp