No announcement yet.

I need help asap

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I need help asap

    My friend is 17 and lives in texas. She has been abused and hurt from her step dad and wants to move out. She has tried moving out with other family members but her mom keeps forcing her to stay with her. She is planning of running away, she could support herself but she is hoping to stay with a friend until she is 18.
    Either tranfer guardian or emacipate as being able to support herself but what could happen if the mom doesnt agree to this. Her friend mom already agreed for her to stay but can she get in any trouble?

  • #2
    Re: I need help asap

    Hi there,

    Thank you for contacting us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like your friend has been going through a lot at home with her step-dad abusing and hurting her. No one deserves to be abused by anyone, no matter what. It has got to be really tough for your friend and we are really glad that you have reached out on her behalf, she is lucky to have a friend like you. Your friend has the right to make an abuse report. If this is something she would like to do, or just wants to talk more about, she can call us here any time or can call Child Help USA at (800) 422 4453. We’re here to help as much as we can.

    So generally speaking, running away is not illegal, it’s a status offense. We’re not legal experts here but if she were to leave without legal guardian’s permission, and the police find her they would just bring her back home. However, anyone that she stays with could potentially be charged for harboring a runaway. It sounds like your friend has thought about transferring guardianship and emancipation which is great, she is really doing her research and trying to find the best option for herself. Again we’re not experts, but what we do know about both of these things is that they can be a process (average of about 6 months), and emancipation can be expensive because you would need to work with a lawyer. Does your friend’s mom have the desire to transfer guardianship to the friend’s mom?

    The way that the police handle 17 year old runaways is different depending on the state that you are in, even the county in some cases. Sometimes, police will not take/file a runaway report for a 17 year old, or they may take one but not actively look for the runaway. In other areas, they will take the report and actively look up until the youth turns 18. The circumstances change depending on the area in which you live, so one option you have is to contact your local police department and ask hypothetically how they would proceed with a 17 year old runaway. If this is something you are not entirely comfortable doing alone, understandably, you can give us a call here at 1800runaway (786-2929) and we can make a call out either with you or on your behalf to get these questions answered.

    Please do not hesitate to call or chat with us to talk more, we’re here to listen and here to help.

    Good luck and stay safe,
    Last edited by ccsmod14; 06-14-2015, 05:05 PM.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp