Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving out at 16

Hi, I live in California and recently my mom sprung news on me that she found a place in Minnesota and had a plan to move there next week. At first I had a choice that I could stay and live with my grandma, or with my sister and her dad. When i told her i didnt want to go to Minnesota I was told I no longer had an option and had to go. I just started a new job, school is finally going great, and I have a lot starting to work out for me in CA. Can I move out at the age of 16? OE can i choose to stay with a different family member? I was thinking about emancipation but it would be a long process and would probably cause even more home problems between my mom and i.

Hi there, thanks for reaching out.

It's understandable that this news about moving to Minnesota is frustrating--it sounds like things are going pretty well for you in California, with your new job and your school stuff going well. In terms of moving out at age 16, we are not legal experts here, but you would need your mom's permission to live with your grandma or your sister and her dad. If you go to live with them without your mom's permission, she could file a runaway report with the police and your grandma or your sister's dad could be charged with harboring a runaway.

We would be glad to help you think through your situation and to offer you resources. In terms of emancipation, we can help you talk through that option as well. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929).
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X