No announcement yet.

Can I move in with my brother?

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Can I move in with my brother?

    Hi, I'm 15 almost 16 and I live in Oklahoma. my dad left me when I was young and I have been living with my sister brother and mom since then and my mom shoves religion and political beliefs down my throat but I am completely against her and because of that I am pretty much an outcast. I don't really want to run away but she treats me badly (mentally not physically) and my brother realizes this (he's 22) and wants me to move in with him at his new house but I know my mom wouldn't let me. so is that illegal for me to live with him since he is family and a legal adult?

  • #2
    RE: Can I move in with my brother?

    Thanks for reaching out to us, it is very great of you to seek for help. Hopefully the information we provide you will guide you in the right direction. We understand how frustrating your situation might be, specially your mom trying to push her beliefs on you.
    We are sorry to hear how things are at home, no one should be treated this way. Have you ever tried talking to anyone about what goes on at home, aside from your brother?
    We are not legal experts, but we can speak generally and running away is not illegal, however since your mom is your legal guardian she has the right to file a runaway report and if the police find you they will return you home. Although moving in with your brother could be a good idea, it all goes back to your mom being your legal guardian and you would need her permission to be living with your brother.
    Hopefully this answer is helpful for you and if you have more questions or want to talk to someone directly you can give us a call anytime at 1-800- RUNAWAY (786-2929). We’re 24/7 and open all 365 days a year. Good luck!

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    • #3
      I need to move out and my brother said in could live with him. I live in Washington and I'm 15. My brother is 18. He can finacially support himself and me. I can't emancipate myself cause I can't get a job because my parents wont let me out of the house. I get mentally abused and my step dad has been dangerous. I've felt unsafe in some ways. My brother ran away and can agree this house is not suitable for me. Can I run away to his house?


      • ccsmod6
        ccsmod6 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey thanks for reaching out! We want to do what we can to help. It sounds like you are having a tough time at home and want to do what is best for you. It is great that you have brother for support who really understands the situation you are in. While we are not legal experts, it is not illegal to runaway and you will not get in trouble with the law if you runaway however, if your parents were to file a runaway report, your brother can get charged with harboring a runaway. If you want to know more about your legal rights or help with the emancipation process, you can call Northwest Youth Services at 360-734-9862.If you would like to report the mental abuse that you have experienced you can reach out to Child Help at 1-800-422-4453 or at . If you have any other questions or if we can help out in any other way feel free to reach out by calling us at 800-786-2929, emailing us at [email protected] or chatting us at . Best of luck!
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove