Runnning away at 12?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Runnning away at 12?

Things in my home are getting tough and I'm not sure I can take it much more. I'm thinking about running away. What would happen if I was found. Where are the places I could go?

re: Runnning away at 12?

Hey there,

Thank you for being able to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline, it seems like you are going through a pretty tough time at this point in your life and we want you to know that we are here to listen and help.

From what you shared it seems like you are pretty set on leaving, that is a pretty big decision to make. There are some things you might want to consider before you decide to leave. We have posted a list of questions below that you might want to consider before you decide to leave:

What else can I do to improve my home situation before I leave?
    What would make me stay at home?
    How will I survive?
    Is running away safe?
    Who can I count on to help me?
    Have I given this enough thought?
    What are my other options?
    If I end up in trouble, who will I call?
    When I return home, what will happen?

Unfortunately, we are not legal experts here which means we would not be able to accurately tell you what would happen if you were to run away or if you can, but we can speak generally about it. In most states, you are still considered a minor, which means that your parents are able to file a runaway report and if you are found, you would typically be forced to go home. Running away is not necessarily illegal, but it is a status offense, which means that you are not allowed to do it because you are a minor.

Another legal aspect you might want to keep in mind is that if a runaway report is filed and you are found staying with another family, the family you are staying with can get into some legal trouble. Most states have a law called “harboring a runaway” and the charges for that can vary from fines to jail time. As I mentioned, we are not legal experts, but this is what we generally know about most states. The best way you can find out is by either reaching out to your local police department or reaching out to a legal aid which you can give us a call and we would be able to look up a number for you.

As far as a place to stay, because you are a minor, it seems like it would be difficult to find a shelter that would let you stay there without parent/guardian consent or be referred by a social service agency. We have plenty of shelter resources that we can provide for you or call out with you. If you ever find yourself in this situation, please feel free to give us a call and we would be more than happy to try and find you shelter. We wish you the best of luck in whatever it is you decide to do and hope to hear from you soon.

Stay strong,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Things in my home are getting tough and I'm not sure I can take it much more. I'm thinking about running away. What would happen if I was found. Where are the places I could go?
      For your sake I think you are too young at least wait some time. if you did run away you would run out of money and have to go back home. Unless you have other family you can stay with don't. If you where found you would go back to your parents. Go to other family members if you can

Comment

RE:

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out the National Runaway Safeline and also the person that responded to the post. It is really great that you are concerned about this individual and have taken the time out of your day to respond. However we are not legal experts and are not here to tell individuals what to do or what is best for them. We are here to listen and support in whatever ways that we can.

To the original poster of this message, you mentioned that things at home have become very tough and that you are thinking of leaving. It sounds like you have reached your limit and are trying to think of what is best for you. As previously mentioned, we are not legal experts, but we can speak in general terms. Generally you are not an adult until you turn 18, if you were to leave before then, then your parents would have the option of filing a runaway report with the local police. Running away is not a criminal offense, it is a status offense. This means that you cannot do it because of your age, not because it is against the law. However, anyone that you decide to stay with could be charged with harboring a runaway, which is a criminal offense and the severity varies state to state.
        You asked some really great questions in terms of what could happen and where you would go. It sounds like you are really thinking about what is best for you. We are glad that you decided to reach out to NRS. Some places to think about that you could go would be to a person’s house that would be willing to take the risk of harboring a runaway. This could be a family or friends place to stay with, or anyone that you feel comfortable with.

We understand that living at home has become unmanageable and that you are thinking that leaving is the best option for you. One option you have is to talk to a trusted adult, such as a school counselor or family member, and talk to them about what has been going on at home with you. If you do not have anyone that you trust to talk with, you can always call our hotline and talk with us. We also have a database that might be able to find someone in your area that you can talk to as well. These are just some suggestions for you to think about.

Some other things to think about might be:
        -Is where you are going safer then home?
        -What would you do if that place ever became unsafe?
        -Who would you turn to if you were ever in trouble?
        -How would you support yourself? Food? Money? Shelter?
        -if you were forced to go back home, what do you think that would look like?

We hoped this helped and if you would like to call us on our hotline to talk about what has been going on we are here to listen and support you in what ways we can. We are available on our hotline as well as chatting with us through our website. We look forward to hearing from you and we wish you the best of luck.

NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x
        Working...
        X