Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Runaway from new jersey to florida

Hello i have a god daughter who is a ward of the state in new jersey and is a runaway from a state program. I have her older sister living with me so she might be trying to find a way to me. I would love to take her but not illegally what can i do.? Shes only 15 and i have children myself so i cannot put myself in danger of legal mess.

Hi,

Thanks so much for taking the time to reach out to our hotline tonight. It sounds like you care a lot about your god daughter but feel hesitant about taking her in if it has any legal consequences. That makes a lot of sense, and hopefully we can give you some information to help you out!

First and foremost we are not legal experts, but we do know for the most part running away is not illegal, it is only considered a status offense. What that means is that the police are likely looking for your god daughter but it is unlikely she would get arrested, they may just bring her back to wherever she way staying. When it comes to you taking her in, it is possible you could get into trouble for what is called harboring a runaway. Again we are not legal experts so we cannot give you definite answers, but if you call into the police depart ad let them know that she is with you you would not get into trouble. You could possibly try taking custody of her if you would like. In order to do that you would likely have to get into contact with a lawyer around your area.

If there is anything else we can do to help you please know you can always call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY! We are 24/7 so someone will always be here to answer and help as best as we can.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X