Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaving home at 17 (Colorado)

I want to run away a few months before I turn 18. If my dad calls the cops before I'm 18 what can happen? Is there a possibility of me not getting caught before I'm 18?

Thank for reaching out to us with your question. It takes a lot of courage to ask for help. So we are glad you came to us so we can give you information to help you make an informed choice.

We are not legal experts, so the only information we can give out to answer your questions is general legal information. But we can inform you that the legal age to be classified as an adult in Colorado is in fact 18. So you are right that there could be consequences when running away before 18. Parents can make a runaway report with the police department, and police then can follow up with the report by going out to look for the runaway youth. Typically the police report's goal is to reunite the runaway youth with their parents. So it could be a possibility if they find the youth the police will return the youth back home.

Regarding your second question, is there a possibility of not being caught, is difficult to answer what could happen in the future. But we are wondering is there any possibility of coming to a compromise with your Dad to work things out till you are 18 yrs old. I do not know the particular situation of your relationship with your Dad. So I don't want to assume a compromise is the best solution just a suggestion if you want to live at home and don't want to runaway due to the risks.

But if you would like to discuss this situation in more depth, we would love to hear from you and you can call us anytime at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We're really glad you reached out to us, and we are impressed you are taking the time to figure out your options. Please give us a call anytime, because we're here to listen and here to help.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X