No announcement yet.

18 year old GF in alabama wants to move in with my and my family in Florida

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 18 year old GF in alabama wants to move in with my and my family in Florida

    I couldn't find anythinf, about this online so I thought id post it here, My GF is being emotionally abused for being with me, her family is Uber Christian and I'm not and they plan on shunning her for it, so my family and I were thinking of letting her live here. Problem is is she's 18, turning 19 in March, and also lives in Alabama. But I live in Florida, I'm guessing she would still be a minor under Alabama's terms but is there anything can do if her mother lists her as a runaway, or should she tough it out and wait till she's 19. I can't call the police on her respect bevause of her little sister who is not being abused. She doesn't want anything bad to happen. Oh and I'm 20

  • #2
    Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like things are really difficult for your GF right now. Home should be a place where they feel safe and loved. We are here to help you and your GF explore your options.

    You shared that your GF is being emotionally abused by their family because of their religious beliefs and how they view your relationship. That must be very upsetting and frustrating for the both of you. One option, would be for your GF to report the emotional abuse to the police. However, you mentioned your GF doesn’t want to do that because of worry about what would happen to the younger sister. That’s understandable. Another option, would be to see if your GF’s parents would give permission for them to go stay with a family member or close family friend, to get away from the emotional abuse. Your GF is lucky to have you helping them find some options to this situation.

    You also mentioned the option of your GF coming to live with you and your family. From what you’ve shared, you most likely already know this, but the age of majority in Alabama is 19. While we are not legal experts, what this generally means is that since your GF is 18, they are not considered a legal adult until they turn 19 in March. If your GF decided to leave home while they are 18, that means their parents could file a runaway report with the police. This means is the police found your GF, they would be required to return her home. Another possibility is that whoever your GF is staying with, they could also get in trouble for harboring a runaway. One thing to keep in mind though, is some police departments will not actively try to locate a runaway if they are close to being a legal adult. To find this out, you or your GF could call the local police department non-emergency number, anonymously, and ask if they would generally follow up on a runaway report in this situation. You can also call us and we can help you call the non-emergency local police number to ask these questions. You have many options.

    Lastly, we can also help your GF look up youth shelters in their area, if they ever feel they need to leave home and have a safe place to stay. Some shelters are temporary, for only a couple days of shelter and others are longer term. You are very responsible for thinking of what might happen if your GF were to leave home and to ask for help in this situation.

    If you would like further help exploring any of these options or others in more detail, please feel free to reach out to us directly by calling us at 1-800- RUNAWAY or chatting with us live on our website at We look forward to hearing from you.

    Take care,

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif