No announcement yet.

16 Years Old, living In Wyoming, emancipation or moving out with/without parental?

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 16 Years Old, living In Wyoming, emancipation or moving out with/without parental?

    Before we start, I'd like to thank anyone who helps me answer this question of mine. I appreciate your time.

    Alright, on to the real stuff. Here is the situation, at 16, I am trying to move out of my household in Wyoming. This is due for multiple reasons, one of the main reasons being that the city I am moving to, also in Wyoming, is the home to the university I will be attending when I graduate at 17 years old. I am planning on rooming with one of my friends, who is currently eighteen years old and we both have a stable source of income/a place to live. My question is, is it possible for me to move out without my parent's consent. If not possible without the parent's consent, is it possible for me to be emancipated in Wyoming at the age of 16? If both require parental consent at this age, what sort of process would I have to go through? Thank you.

  • #2
    Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you have some questions about moving out at 16. It seems like you are very responsible and hardworking. The easiest way for you to move out would be to get your parent’s consent. If you decided to leave home without your parent’s consent, they have the right to file a runaway report. With a runaway report, if the police find you they would return you home. You mentioned that you would like to room with your friend that is 18, if you stay with your friend without your parent’s permission, they could get in trouble for harboring a runaway.

    It sounds like you are interested in emancipation. In the state of Wyoming, you would have to be 17 and have your parent’s permission in order to petition for emancipation. If you are interested in learning more about emancipation options, please contact us direct via our crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat, we could provide you with resources for Wyoming.
    Last edited by ccsmod2; 11-13-2017, 12:33 AM.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    • #3
      ok so i'm almost 16 and i live in Wyoming well my home life is not terrible but my mom is making me pay rent and she is constantly hitting me and or threatening to do so the cops where called already and they told us that it is legal to hit your kids for a punishment but it is more that a punishment but without proof they cant do anything so i wanted to know if i can legally move out at 16 without their permission if i have a place to go and money to support myself. I wanted to know if i have to go through some kind of court or what because all i can find is that i can move out and if they try to stop me i can go to court and that most of the time they will not make me go back against my will.


      • ccsmod5
        ccsmod5 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for writing on our forum. It takes a lot of courage to share what's been going on and we're so sorry to hear about the way your mom has been treating you. You never deserve to be hit or threatened--no one does. It's also frustrating that the police were unable to help in your situation. You asked great questions that we'll do our best to answer. That being said, we want to let you know we aren't legal experts so it can be a good idea to get in touch with a lawyer for information more specific to your state. And of course, if you're having trouble locating a legal resource please feel free to give us a call and we can try to connect you with one.

        Since you are still a minor in the state of Wyoming, you would need parental consent to move out. The easiest way to move out is with permission; if you would like help talking with your mom about living somewhere else (maybe a friend or another family member), we do offer conference calling and conflict mediation here at NRS. If you're interested in pursuing that, you're welcome to call us at 1-800-786-2929. If you choose to leave without parental consent, your mom would have the right to file a runaway report and if the police are able to find you, they will likely bring you home. Another option to consider is emancipation, which is a legal process whereby you'd become your own legal guardian. For that, you'd need a lawyer. Generally, you would need to prove that you can support yourself financially and have the maturity to live without a guardian.

        Thank you again for reaching out. We hope this was helpful and we encourage you to reach out by phone if you need additional resources or need help figuring out your options. Our number is 1-800-786-2929 and our lines are always open. If you have a moment, we'd appreciate your feedback of our crisis services at the following link:

    • #4
      I have a question. My nephew is 15 years old will be turning 16 this summer. He lives in Wyoming. Both of his parents are deceased and he lives with his other aunt and uncle. He is safe there's nothing bad going on but he wants to come live with me and my mom, his grandma, what can he do?


      • ccsmod2
        ccsmod2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello There,
        Thank you for contacting The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. We are not legal experts but we do have general knowledge of the laws. Because your nephew is a minor if he left home without his legal guardian’s permission he could be considered as a runaway. If he is filed as a runaway and the police found him he would most likely be brought back home. One option is your nephew can try asking for permission to live with you. We offer conference calling at NRS so if he calls us we can call out to his legal guardian. Conference calling helps mediate a conversation and allows the youth to be heard. During conference calling we are there to provide support the best we can.
        Unfortunately for the state of Wyoming one cannot file for emancipation until they are 17 years of age. Laws do change all the time so you may want to call your local court house to ask about emancipation. You can also call us and we can give you legal aid numbers.
        We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call, we are here 24/7. We wish you the best of luck.

    • #5

      So I’m 16 years old and I will admit that my home life really is not the worst. In fact, compared to most, I have a pretty damn good life. But I’m not happy in my home. I feel tied down by my parents, and feel as though I carry my parents, siblings and my own burdens on my shoulders. My home life makes me depressed and the only place I feel even a shred of happiness is at school, where I am always quiet. I have lived in Wyoming my whole life, but never attended a public school until a few months ago. My parents want us to move to Colorado though. But I wish to live my grandparents during my last few years as a minor. Do I need my parents permission to live with my grandparents, or do I just need my grandparents permission? And what kind of process would I have to undergo, if any? Would it be a long or minimal process?


      • ccsmod15
        ccsmod15 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you’ve been going through such a tough time. That sounds so stressful to be carrying all of those things on your shoulders. That sounds tough to have your family be moving to a different place. We are here to support you and help you in any way we can.

        We’re not legal experts here at NRS. Generally, you need your parents’ or guardians’ permission to live in a place other than home. If a youth leaves home without permission, your parents could file a runaway report, the police could get involved, and they could bring you home. The people you’re staying with could potentially get in trouble for having you stay there if they don’t cooperate with your parents or the police. Generally, you would need your parents’ permission to change any guardianship. You could consider reaching out to your local police department or legal aid in your state to learn about the laws or other possibilities. If you call in or chat into us, we can help you find those resources.

        There are also many resources that could help you with anything else you may need. If you want to talk more about what’s been going on, or if you would like more information about resources, you can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929) or chat with us online.

        Again, thank you for contacting us. It sounds like you’ve been going through a really hard time, but you’ve shown a lot of strength by working through these challenges and reaching out for help. If you ever need anything in the future, please feel free to call us or chat with us online. We’re always here to listen and here to help.

    • #6
      im 15 years old and i have a baby. since the baby was born me and my mom have just constatly argued and faught. i want to be able to move out of the house without getting in trouble and having the baby given to my mom or somthing. i dont make enough money to buy my own place because no one ill hire a fifteen year old that doesnt pay minimum wage. so if i were able to move out it would be to my boyfriend or aunts house i just dont know how to get there legaly.


      • ccsmod15
        ccsmod15 commented
        Editing a comment

        Thanks for reaching out to us. We’re so sorry to hear that there’s been so much conflict at home since your baby was born. It sounds like all of the friction between you & your mom has made you feel like it would be best to live elsewhere, but you’re concerned about how to move out without getting into legal trouble. We’re not legal experts, but we can share as much information as we can to help you figure out your next steps.

        As far as we understand, if you’re considered a minor in the state of Wyoming, your legal guardian decides where you live and you would need permission from your parent or legal guardian in order to live somewhere outside of their home. If you and your mom are clashing so much, and you think that your aunt or you boyfriend would be willing to house you & your baby, it may help to have either of them sit down with your mom to discuss the possibility of you living with one of them. It might help to plan out this conversation ahead of time, considering any concerns or objections your mom might have, and trying to be prepared with ways of addressing her concerns. Another option might include emancipation, but according to what we currently know about emancipation in Wyoming, you would need to wait until you’re 17 and living independently with your mom’s permission to emancipate.

        If you leave without her consent, she could file a runaway report with her local police department, and if local police find you, they would return you to your legal guardian. We can’t say with certainty how this would affect your ability to keep your baby if your mom reports you as a runaway, but we would encourage you to reach out to either your local police department at their non-emergency number, or your local legal aid agency. They would be much more familiar with the laws in your state and can give you better guidance on what you can do.

        Whatever you decide, know that we are here for you. We won’t tell you what to do, but we will do our best to help you stay safe with whatever you decide to do. You can reach out to us 24/7 by phone at 800.RUNAWAY (786.2929). We are also available every day via chat. We’re here to listen, here to help. Stay safe!


    • #7
      i am 16 with a baby i live in iowa but i am visiting wyoming right now and my house in iowa isnt safe for me nor my baby what can i do to get out here with her dad?


      • ccsmod7
        ccsmod7 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi, that sounds like a really hard situation and it took a lot of bravery for you to reach out to us today. We’re not legal experts, but we can speak to what we typically see. In Iowa, you are considered a minor until you turn 18, but you do have a right to feel safe in your home. If you are feeling unsafe because of any sort of emotional or physical abuse taking place or if you or your child are in danger, you can consider reporting to Child Help, the national child abuse hotline, at 1-800-422-4453. This would start an investigation, and hopefully would lead to you ending up somewhere safe.

        If you did leave home, since you are under 18, your dad could file a runaway report. What this means is that your name would be placed on a database and if you were to have any contact with the police, or if they knew where you were, the police would likely bring you back home. Your subject line mentions emancipation, so we can give you some info on that as well. Emancipation can be a lengthy and difficult legal process. In Iowa, in order to be emancipated, you would need to demonstrate that you have financial stability, that you’re continuing school or job training. In Iowa they need to see reasons for why your home is unsafe or unfit and consent of your parents or guardians in order to grant emancipation.

        This can all be pretty overwhelming and scary and it’s great that you’re trying to do what’s best for yourself and your baby. It’s possible that there are more resources in your area, including for teen parents. If you ever need support or want help finding more resources, we are available 24/7 at 1-800-Runaway and we’re here to listen.
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove