No announcement yet.

16 Years Old, living In Wyoming, emancipation or moving out with/without parental?

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 16 Years Old, living In Wyoming, emancipation or moving out with/without parental?

    Before we start, I'd like to thank anyone who helps me answer this question of mine. I appreciate your time.

    Alright, on to the real stuff. Here is the situation, at 16, I am trying to move out of my household in Wyoming. This is due for multiple reasons, one of the main reasons being that the city I am moving to, also in Wyoming, is the home to the university I will be attending when I graduate at 17 years old. I am planning on rooming with one of my friends, who is currently eighteen years old and we both have a stable source of income/a place to live. My question is, is it possible for me to move out without my parent's consent. If not possible without the parent's consent, is it possible for me to be emancipated in Wyoming at the age of 16? If both require parental consent at this age, what sort of process would I have to go through? Thank you.

  • #2
    Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you have some questions about moving out at 16. It seems like you are very responsible and hardworking. The easiest way for you to move out would be to get your parent’s consent. If you decided to leave home without your parent’s consent, they have the right to file a runaway report. With a runaway report, if the police find you they would return you home. You mentioned that you would like to room with your friend that is 18, if you stay with your friend without your parent’s permission, they could get in trouble for harboring a runaway.

    It sounds like you are interested in emancipation. In the state of Wyoming, you would have to be 17 and have your parent’s permission in order to petition for emancipation. If you are interested in learning more about emancipation options, please contact us direct via our crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat, we could provide you with resources for Wyoming.
    Last edited by ccsmod2; 11-13-2017, 12:33 AM.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    • #3
      ok so i'm almost 16 and i live in Wyoming well my home life is not terrible but my mom is making me pay rent and she is constantly hitting me and or threatening to do so the cops where called already and they told us that it is legal to hit your kids for a punishment but it is more that a punishment but without proof they cant do anything so i wanted to know if i can legally move out at 16 without their permission if i have a place to go and money to support myself. I wanted to know if i have to go through some kind of court or what because all i can find is that i can move out and if they try to stop me i can go to court and that most of the time they will not make me go back against my will.


      • ccsmod5
        ccsmod5 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for writing on our forum. It takes a lot of courage to share what's been going on and we're so sorry to hear about the way your mom has been treating you. You never deserve to be hit or threatened--no one does. It's also frustrating that the police were unable to help in your situation. You asked great questions that we'll do our best to answer. That being said, we want to let you know we aren't legal experts so it can be a good idea to get in touch with a lawyer for information more specific to your state. And of course, if you're having trouble locating a legal resource please feel free to give us a call and we can try to connect you with one.

        Since you are still a minor in the state of Wyoming, you would need parental consent to move out. The easiest way to move out is with permission; if you would like help talking with your mom about living somewhere else (maybe a friend or another family member), we do offer conference calling and conflict mediation here at NRS. If you're interested in pursuing that, you're welcome to call us at 1-800-786-2929. If you choose to leave without parental consent, your mom would have the right to file a runaway report and if the police are able to find you, they will likely bring you home. Another option to consider is emancipation, which is a legal process whereby you'd become your own legal guardian. For that, you'd need a lawyer. Generally, you would need to prove that you can support yourself financially and have the maturity to live without a guardian.

        Thank you again for reaching out. We hope this was helpful and we encourage you to reach out by phone if you need additional resources or need help figuring out your options. Our number is 1-800-786-2929 and our lines are always open. If you have a moment, we'd appreciate your feedback of our crisis services at the following link:

    • #4
      I have a question. My nephew is 15 years old will be turning 16 this summer. He lives in Wyoming. Both of his parents are deceased and he lives with his other aunt and uncle. He is safe there's nothing bad going on but he wants to come live with me and my mom, his grandma, what can he do?


      • ccsmod2
        ccsmod2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello There,
        Thank you for contacting The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. We are not legal experts but we do have general knowledge of the laws. Because your nephew is a minor if he left home without his legal guardian’s permission he could be considered as a runaway. If he is filed as a runaway and the police found him he would most likely be brought back home. One option is your nephew can try asking for permission to live with you. We offer conference calling at NRS so if he calls us we can call out to his legal guardian. Conference calling helps mediate a conversation and allows the youth to be heard. During conference calling we are there to provide support the best we can.
        Unfortunately for the state of Wyoming one cannot file for emancipation until they are 17 years of age. Laws do change all the time so you may want to call your local court house to ask about emancipation. You can also call us and we can give you legal aid numbers.
        We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call, we are here 24/7. We wish you the best of luck.

    • #5

      So I’m 16 years old and I will admit that my home life really is not the worst. In fact, compared to most, I have a pretty damn good life. But I’m not happy in my home. I feel tied down by my parents, and feel as though I carry my parents, siblings and my own burdens on my shoulders. My home life makes me depressed and the only place I feel even a shred of happiness is at school, where I am always quiet. I have lived in Wyoming my whole life, but never attended a public school until a few months ago. My parents want us to move to Colorado though. But I wish to live my grandparents during my last few years as a minor. Do I need my parents permission to live with my grandparents, or do I just need my grandparents permission? And what kind of process would I have to undergo, if any? Would it be a long or minimal process?


      • ccsmod15
        ccsmod15 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you’ve been going through such a tough time. That sounds so stressful to be carrying all of those things on your shoulders. That sounds tough to have your family be moving to a different place. We are here to support you and help you in any way we can.

        We’re not legal experts here at NRS. Generally, you need your parents’ or guardians’ permission to live in a place other than home. If a youth leaves home without permission, your parents could file a runaway report, the police could get involved, and they could bring you home. The people you’re staying with could potentially get in trouble for having you stay there if they don’t cooperate with your parents or the police. Generally, you would need your parents’ permission to change any guardianship. You could consider reaching out to your local police department or legal aid in your state to learn about the laws or other possibilities. If you call in or chat into us, we can help you find those resources.

        There are also many resources that could help you with anything else you may need. If you want to talk more about what’s been going on, or if you would like more information about resources, you can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929) or chat with us online.

        Again, thank you for contacting us. It sounds like you’ve been going through a really hard time, but you’ve shown a lot of strength by working through these challenges and reaching out for help. If you ever need anything in the future, please feel free to call us or chat with us online. We’re always here to listen and here to help.

    • #6
      im 15 years old and i have a baby. since the baby was born me and my mom have just constatly argued and faught. i want to be able to move out of the house without getting in trouble and having the baby given to my mom or somthing. i dont make enough money to buy my own place because no one ill hire a fifteen year old that doesnt pay minimum wage. so if i were able to move out it would be to my boyfriend or aunts house i just dont know how to get there legaly.


      • ccsmod15
        ccsmod15 commented
        Editing a comment

        Thanks for reaching out to us. We’re so sorry to hear that there’s been so much conflict at home since your baby was born. It sounds like all of the friction between you & your mom has made you feel like it would be best to live elsewhere, but you’re concerned about how to move out without getting into legal trouble. We’re not legal experts, but we can share as much information as we can to help you figure out your next steps.

        As far as we understand, if you’re considered a minor in the state of Wyoming, your legal guardian decides where you live and you would need permission from your parent or legal guardian in order to live somewhere outside of their home. If you and your mom are clashing so much, and you think that your aunt or you boyfriend would be willing to house you & your baby, it may help to have either of them sit down with your mom to discuss the possibility of you living with one of them. It might help to plan out this conversation ahead of time, considering any concerns or objections your mom might have, and trying to be prepared with ways of addressing her concerns. Another option might include emancipation, but according to what we currently know about emancipation in Wyoming, you would need to wait until you’re 17 and living independently with your mom’s permission to emancipate.

        If you leave without her consent, she could file a runaway report with her local police department, and if local police find you, they would return you to your legal guardian. We can’t say with certainty how this would affect your ability to keep your baby if your mom reports you as a runaway, but we would encourage you to reach out to either your local police department at their non-emergency number, or your local legal aid agency. They would be much more familiar with the laws in your state and can give you better guidance on what you can do.

        Whatever you decide, know that we are here for you. We won’t tell you what to do, but we will do our best to help you stay safe with whatever you decide to do. You can reach out to us 24/7 by phone at 800.RUNAWAY (786.2929). We are also available every day via chat. We’re here to listen, here to help. Stay safe!


    • #7
      i am 16 with a baby i live in iowa but i am visiting wyoming right now and my house in iowa isnt safe for me nor my baby what can i do to get out here with her dad?


      • ccsmod7
        ccsmod7 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi, that sounds like a really hard situation and it took a lot of bravery for you to reach out to us today. We’re not legal experts, but we can speak to what we typically see. In Iowa, you are considered a minor until you turn 18, but you do have a right to feel safe in your home. If you are feeling unsafe because of any sort of emotional or physical abuse taking place or if you or your child are in danger, you can consider reporting to Child Help, the national child abuse hotline, at 1-800-422-4453. This would start an investigation, and hopefully would lead to you ending up somewhere safe.

        If you did leave home, since you are under 18, your dad could file a runaway report. What this means is that your name would be placed on a database and if you were to have any contact with the police, or if they knew where you were, the police would likely bring you back home. Your subject line mentions emancipation, so we can give you some info on that as well. Emancipation can be a lengthy and difficult legal process. In Iowa, in order to be emancipated, you would need to demonstrate that you have financial stability, that you’re continuing school or job training. In Iowa they need to see reasons for why your home is unsafe or unfit and consent of your parents or guardians in order to grant emancipation.

        This can all be pretty overwhelming and scary and it’s great that you’re trying to do what’s best for yourself and your baby. It’s possible that there are more resources in your area, including for teen parents. If you ever need support or want help finding more resources, we are available 24/7 at 1-800-Runaway and we’re here to listen.

    • #8
      Can I fly out of state without parents permission I'm 16


      • ccsmod9
        ccsmod9 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there,
        Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
        While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
        We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
        Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); (click on the chat button).
        If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
        Be safe,

    • #9
      Ok so, I’m 16 and I’ve read a lot of the comments here. I know the basics of moving out, and would like to know of any other possible ways to move out without parental permission. If there is not I’d like to think about a conference with my grandma, who I’m currently living with. The reasoning behind my wanting to move out is the fact that there is always tension in my household. Me and my grandma are constantly arguing about little things like what time I need to go to bed, if I can hang out with certain friends or not, watch movies with “bad” stuff in it. I feel like I’ll never stop being treated like a child unless I move out. We’ve had a lot more serious arguments about this exact thing, moving out, but she simply won’t listen because I’m not “mature enough”. I feel as if I could take care of myself if I weren’t under my grandmas care. I have a steady job, and family members who would take me into their homes if needed. But I’m looking more into finding a house with a friend because I fear my grandma will try to enforce the same rules through my family. Just an example of how our arguments usually go is this; I’ll start up a simple conversation with her about a problem or a rule I would like to bypass because it’s my own decision to make, she gets mad, tells me to shut up and not say another word or I’m going to the youth home. I’m very sorry about the long comment, but I would like you guys to understand where I’m coming from so you don’t think I’m just insincere about moving out. If there is any possible way please let me know. There’s a lot more I could tell you about my situation over the phone, and I don’t mean to sound like I’m venting or anything, I’m just desperate. I want to have my own life, not the life my grandma is choosing for me. Ok that’s enough, once again I’m very sorry for saying so much, I just really want you to understand where I’m coming from.


      • ccsmod13
        ccsmod13 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey there, thank you for reaching out to us! We can tell that you are a smart and independent individual who is very understanding of their situation and is looking for a better environment. It sounds like your grandma is being over-protective and unfair, and that she is not listening to you when you try to express your feelings and desires to her. You do not deserve to be treated that way. It definitely seems like a conference call would be a great move in the right direction, and that a mediator in the conversation might be what you need for your grandma to hear you. Perhaps the three of you might be able to come to an agreement in the home of lines that you can draw that both you and your grandma could be comfortable with. Perhaps you two might also be able to come up with calmer ways to have arguments that don’t end up sorely. For conference calling with us at National Runaway Safeline, you can call in first to 1-800-RUNAWAY, tell us a little bit about what is going on, and what your desires are for the conversation, and then we can begin to facilitate the conference call with your grandma. Additionally, the National Alliance on Mental Illness can help you find a family counselor to help support you through difficult conversations with your grandma. You can reach them at or 1-800-950- NAMI. Again, this can all be done by calling in or chatting with us.

        One thing we mention to a lot to youth in your similar situation is the emancipation process, which will allow you to legally live on your own as a minor. Especially that you have a steady job and believe you could care for yourself without your grandma, this could be a good route. It is a process that in many cases you would need your grandma’s consent, and it is also a long court process. If you would like more information on that definitely feel free to call us, and we can give you some resources to call about that legal information.
        Lastly, if you are in a pinch and need a safe place to go right away, National Safe Place is a great resource in which you can text SAFE and your location to 44357. You can also call in to our hotline and we can give you information on shelters near you.

        We want you to know that you are not alone and we are rooting for you. We know that you know what is best for you and we hear you when you tell us your story. You can believe in yourself and feel empowered about your next steps for the future! We can see you are primarily looking for a way to move out, but if you also feel you need to talk to someone, feel free to call in to our hotline or chat. We can also give some other resources for you to reach out to for that as well. Again, we’re really glad that you reached out to us. It takes a lot to ask for help and you are trying to figure out your options which is really good to see. If you would like to talk further about your situation, please do not hesitate to call or chat with us. We’re here to listen, here to help.

    • #10
      So I’m 14 almost 15 and I’m pregnant and my home live is miserable how can I got to Illois or Canda without my mom knowing?


      • ccsmod15
        ccsmod15 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for reaching out to NRS. It sounds like you’re feeling overwhelmed and at a breaking point, which is understandable. Dealing with a pregnancy on top of a tense or unhealthy home environment is a lot.

        We’re not legal experts, but generally if a minor (someone under 1 leaves home without their parent or guardian’s permission, the parent can report them as a runaway to the police and that gives the police the right to bring them home. It is generally also difficult for minors to travel undetected, since a bus, train or plane ticket requires valid ID and sometimes even a parent’s permission to purchase.

        Without knowing more about your situation at home, if you are experiencing any type of abuse (physical, emotional, sexual) you have the right to report it to the authorities at any time. You can do this by calling the police, telling a teacher or nurse at school, or contacting your state’s abuse reporting hotline. Another good resource is called Child Help (1-800-422-4453). They are an anonymous hotline that can answer any questions you have about the abuse reporting process and what might happen, and if you choose to make a report, they can take it over the phone.

        It’s also important to make sure you have medical and emotional support through your pregnancy. You could think about talking to a counselor or nurse at school, or an adult you trust like a friend’s parent or another family member. If you give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 we can also help you look up resources in your area. An educational resource that may also be useful is called Sex, Etc.

        Please feel free to give us a call or chat us any time if you’d like to talk more about your situation or brainstorm other options. It shows a lot of maturity that you are taking the time to research and reach out for help before making your next move.

        Stay strong,

    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove