•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod2
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hello There,

Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It takes great courage to reach out for help, and we are glad that you have decided to reach out to us. It sounds like you are going through a difficult time and we want you to know that you are not alone.

What you have described seems abusive and we are sorry that you are having to go through that. You do not deserve to be treated that way, and you do have the right to file a report. One option would be to contact Child Help at: 1-800-422-4453, and they can help you file an abuse report. Also, if you’re able to, you can also talk to a teacher or school counselor about what is going on at home and they would be able to help with a report or discuss the options you have in regards to your home situation. Lastly, you can always call or chat with us and we would be able to help you make a report.

In regards to running away, since you are considered a minor, if you do runaway your parent or guardian can contact the local police department and file a runaway report. When you are found you can possibly be returned to your home or be sent to a youth detention center. Keep in mind if you are found with an older adult, he/she can get in trouble with law enforcement for harboring a minor. Also, if you do leave the home when you turn 18 you won’t get in trouble because you are considered an adult.

We hope that this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are available to you 24/7 to listen and to provide support through this challenging time.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button). If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Best of luck!

NRS

Guest replied
    HI,
    I am 17 soon to turn 18 and am undergoing mental abuse in my house. I want to leave however i wanted to wait until i am 18 if i stay until im 18 and still go to school can i be arrested at school and what can i do to prevent arrest or make sure that i can safley be out due to the fact of minor rules because i dont want to stay here until may and need to leave asap and already have a place to live and support i just want to make sure to do it right. If i technically drop out will he have any control over me?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi,
    Thanks for reaching out; we are glad that you did. In the state of Alabama the age of majority or legal age of adulthood is 19. This means that he will be considered a minor until he is 19. His legal guardian could contact the police and have them bring him back home. On top of that, whomever he stays with could potentially be at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. Since we are not legal experts you could always reach out to your local police department's nonemergency number and ask them how they would handle the situation and what rights he has. We unfortunately can only respond to forums twice so if you would like to talk about this further please chat with us or call. Our number is 1800-RUNAWAY and you can access our chat at www.1800runaway.org.
    Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    My son is 18 and we live in Alabama but he still attends school can I report him a runnaway

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod16
    Hi,
    Thanks for reaching out; we are glad that you did. We are very sorry to hear that Alabama isn't treating you well at all, and that they aren't letting you go to your family.
    We are not legal experts and can only speak to this generally, but if you are in a state where the age of majority is 18, we believe that Alabama can't force you back. You may want to ask your family members in WV to consult an attorney or google Legal Aid in their area, or perhaps call that state's CPS to find the correct answer.
    You can reach out to our live services for support in what you are going through right now. You can chat us through this website or call our hotline at 1-800-786-2929.
    Sincerely,
    NRS

Guest replied
    i turn 18 in june, dhr in alabama arent treating us very well, they're passing me from home to home and I haven't done anything but follow their rule but that doesn't stop them. i have family that want custody of me but dhr is hell bent on keeping me in the system until I age out which is (21) I was wondering if on my 18th birthday if I could run away to WV with my home family the majority age is 18 up there, if I make it up there at 18 what can Alabama dhr do??

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    We hope to hear from you soon.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    If I get married and Graduate at 18 what can that state of Alabama do

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod5
    Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to us! In most states, even while being a ward of the state, youth are considered adults at 18. There may be some restrictions due to being in the states custody but rights to decide to get married we are no so sure of. Since we are not legal experts we can't give you a definitive answer. What we can do is help connect you with a legal counsel who can provide more accurate answers in regards to the law in your particular state. Please reach out to us via chat or phone call so we can further help! We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Stay safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I’m 18 and in dhr custody if I get married will they still have a say in what I do

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod5
    Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out, we hope to help as best we can. In the state of Alaska, once a youth turns 18 they are considered a legal adult which means that you can move out if you want to and you won’t be considered a runaway. As a legal adult, you have a right to make your own decisions about where you live. We can help you make a plan for how to deal with your situation and help you find resources to land on your feet. Having a plan for where you will live and how you will survive once you move out can be very helpful. Moving can be a huge step, and you don’t have to be alone. Some steps you can take towards independence might be to find employment if you don’t have an income, or to save up money for moving expenses. It can also be helpful to research rents in your area, find a roommate, or make a budget. Another thing you might want to consider is what kinds of things you depend on your parents for currently such as tuition expenses for school, or health insurance, and whether they would continue to provide those things after you leave. There may be social service agencies in your area that can help meet some of these needs, such as Transitional Living Programs, a kind of shelter where young adults can live and get services to help them transition to independent living. We are here to listen and help however we can.
    Overall, you have the right to choose where you want to live with no legal repercussions to you or who you’re staying with. If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We hope to hear from you soon.

Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi I’m 18 years old, I’ve graduated highschool and I work two jobs. I wanted to know what would happen if I ran away I’m currently in a relationship w a girl who is 20. I am a girl as well I really just want to know if I ran away to her and lived with her what would happen to me legally and what could she face legally if anything at all

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod5
    Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to us, we hope to help as best we can. Normally when a youth travels to another state, legally they are still bound by the laws of the state where they are legal residents. Although, if you were to be in Arkansas they may treat you as a legal adult since you are within state borders. It might be helpful to contact a local police station in Arkansas through their non-emergency number and ask, or we can help you connect with a legal aid resource who may be able to help as well.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    We hope to hear from you soon.

Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I live in alabama and I will be 18 in 4 months, I'm trying to run away to Arkansas, my only concern is will I still be hindered from doing things in Arkansas because technically I'm still a minor in Alabama until Im 19 and thats my home state. Or will I be okay because I'm in a different state

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hello there.
    Thanks for reaching out to us. We are glad your friend has you to support her through this challenging time. In the state of Alabama the age of majority or legal age of adulthood is 19. This means that she will be considered a minor until she is 19. Her legal guardian could contact the police and have them bring her back home. On top of that, whomever she stays with could potentially be at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. Since we are not legal experts you could always reach out to your local police department's nonemergency number and ask them how they would handle the situation and what rights she has. We unfortunately can only respond to forums twice so if you would like to talk about this further please chat with us or call. Our number is 1800-RUNAWAY and you can access our chat at www.1800runaway.org.
    Take care,
    NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
x
x
Working...
X