No announcement yet.

Run away at 18 in Alabama

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Run away at 18 in Alabama

So I’m a 18 year old Indian kid with Indian parents. I have a amazing relationship with my girlfriend and my parents aren’t axcapting of it. I live in lower Alabama and was wondering if I run away at 18 what could my parents to do get me back home, could they by force or could the police bring me home by force? I’ve got everything planned on where to live and a job and all. Also would I be able to continue going to high school here? And could my parents or police force meant to go home, and is there any consequences for the person I’m living with?

Thank you for your bulletin post! We’re glad you’re reaching out to us because we are here to help! You asked some really great questions, which is a great first step in figuring out your options.

While we aren’t legal experts, we can let you know that running away isn’t illegal, but in some cases can be considered a status offense. According to our records, the legal age of adulthood in Alabama is 19, which means that even though it isn’t against the law, because of your age, your parents could file a runaway report if you leave their house without permission. If they were to file that report and find where you are, they could involve the police to get you back home and may have the option to press charges against anyone that takes you in.

In some cases, the police might not file a runaway report for someone so close to adulthood. An option to figure out if your local police station would file a runaway report is to call your local non-emergency number and anonymously ask. Checking with them might help you to decide your next step.

You mentioned that you have your living situation and job planned, it’s great that you’ve put a lot of thought into this decision. If you wanted to talk through the plan you’ve made or discuss runaway reports, we are here to listen, and to help. If you wanted to, you could call our confidential and 24/7 hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929).

Best of Luck
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

18 I ran from the group home in Alabama is it legal for them to come get me out of Florida
      Last edited by ccsmod4; 01-10-2019, 03:35 AM.

Comment

Reply: 18 I ran from the group home

Hello,
        Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

In Alabama the age of majority is 19. You may still be considered a ward of the state therefore if picked up it is possible you could be returned to Alabama child services.
        To get more information about your status you might consider contacting your case manager.
        NRS offers conference calling services. We would be glad to give you the opportunity to use this service for a three way conference call to your case manager.
        It would be best to contact NRS during normal business hours to utilze this service.
        If you would like to speak more about your situation, please contact 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) to inquire about this service.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Take Care,
        NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x
        Working...
        X