Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14 year old

If I run away, and survive until I am 18, what can I do afterwards, can I have a job? Can I enlist in the military? From Texas by the way.

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to us via our forum! We hope our response is helpful, if you still have unanswered questions, you can always call into our safeline.

It sounds like you’re thinking about running away. While we’re not legal experts and runaway laws can very from state to state, we do have basic knowledge on what usually happens when youth runaway. Running away is not something you can be arrested for, nor does it stay on your record. If you leave home, your parents can make a runaway report. You asked what happens once you turn 18, that runaway report will be cleared. Since runaway reports don’t stay on your record, once you turn 18, employers wouldn’t see that report. Since every state has different protocols and laws regarding runaways, we offer a conference calling service. Youth can call into our safeline, and we are able to call out to the youths local police stations non-emergency number. That way we can ask those legal questions and make sure that the information we're giving you is 100% correct. If you do decide that running away is the best option for you, we have a database full of runaway/youth shelters. Our main priority is to keep you safe, please don’t hesitate to call us if you need those resources.

We’re here for you, if you’d like to talk more about what’s going on and why you’re thinking about running away. Our safeline is confidential and open 24/7, so we’re always a call away!

Be safe, NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X