No announcement yet.

16 year old emancipation living together

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 16 year old emancipation living together

    Two of my friends and I have been making about moving and getting emancipated and renting an apartment out. All three of us come from family’s who have history of substance abuse.Two of us were put on a program called Diversion which is like probo, but wipes your record after you complete it. If we meet the requirements for emancipation does that mean that we can live together? Will the judge sign the emancipation papers if part of our plan was to move in with each other to make rent easier? We live in Colorado and are 15 turning 16 in several months.

  • #2
    Thank you for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are interested in emancipation. We are not legal experts, so we cannot say for sure if you would be able to move in with your friends if you all become emancipated. Our general understanding is some states offer formal emancipation statutes while others do not unfortunately. Laws vary depending on your location, but in many states a minor can petition the court for emancipation to take responsibility for their own care before they turn 18. Generally speaking, courts are wary about granting emancipation.
    In most cases, you would have to prove in court that you have an income and can care for yourself financially, and that you are able to live separately from your parents. It also helps to be in good standing at school. The court will also factor in the mental and physical welfare of your parents in order to establish your best interest. Usually your legal guardian would have to agree to this in court. Once you are emancipated, you can legally choose where you live, but you might still find that you cannot sign a lease or build credit until you turn 18. The emancipation process can take several months or up to a year, and may cost money in the form of court fees and other expenses. Usually, the best way to learn about emancipation in your state is to contact a lawyer. You may also find information at your county family court. We can look up legal aid resources that may be able to help you with the process. Please do not hesitate to call our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929) or chat if you have questions, need legal resources, or need to talk. We can explore your situation, go over all your options, and come up with a plan and resources to deal with your situation over the phone or on live chat. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif