Maine laws?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maine laws?

I am 17 and live in maine. My parents just gave me the news that we will be moving right before the start of my senior year of highschool. I need to figure out what my options are as far as if i have the grounds to refuse to go with them. anything pertaining to the specifics of what happens in maine on this subject will be extremely helpful. Thanks.

RE: Maine laws?

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline and sharing with us some of what has been going on. We are sorry to hear that your parents are moving you in the middle of high school. That has got to be hard to hear, that you will have to change schools. We are glad that you have reached out to us and we want to support you in what ways we can.

You asked us some good question sin terms of what are the specifics of running away in Maine. Unfortunately we are not legal experts, but we can speak in general terms of what could happen if you refuse to move with, or leave without their permission. Generally you are an adult at the age of 18. If you were to leave or not go with them, then you parents could file a runaway report with your local police department. Running away is not a criminal offense, it is a status offense. This means that you cannot do it because of your age, not because it is illegal. If the police were to find you, then they would just bring you back home to your parents. Anyone that you stay with, could be charged with harboring a runaway if the police were to find out. However, you also mentioned that you are 17. 17 can be a tricky age and it depends on your local police would handle your situation. One option you have is to contact your local police and generally ask them how they would handle your situation.

Also, you mentioned that you are living in Maine. We would like to offer you some legal aid resources in Maine. Hopefully they can help you or put you in contact with someone that can.

Family Crisis Services – 1800.537.6066
    Hope and Justice Project – 1800.439.2323
    Kids Legal Agency- 866.624.7787/ 207.744.8246

We hoped that his helped and if you would like to discuss your situation in greater detail then you can give us a call on our hotline or reach out to us via chat. Hopefully this can put you in the right to direction to make the decision that is best for you. We look forward to hearing from you and we wish you the best of luck.

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I’m running away out of state can my parents make cops bring me back home

Comment

• ccsmod1
        ccsmod1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do. We aren’t legal experts here at NRS, but generally speaking, if you do opt to leave your home your parents can file a runaway report, which is essentially a missing person report. Runaway reports are entered into a national database that police from all 50 states have access to. Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor. If a runaway report is filed and you are located by the authorities you will most likely be returned home.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
        NRS

We'd love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to support youth and families. Please click the link below to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X