Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My dad is keeping from my mom

So I'm 16 I'll be 17 in two months. My name is Tristin. I live with my dad but my mom has visitation every other weekend. Sometimes every weekend. It's in the court papers. But the thing is I got caught doing drugs. My mom had nothing to do with it. She's been clean for months. I asked if I could go to my moms and he said no, your not going there anymore till your 18. He can't do that. It's in the court papers that I go there every other weekend. I wish it was every weekend. But anyways can someone help with this situation. It's killing me that I can't see my mom. She helps me with my depression. At my dads they make fun of me for it. They thinking faking. They see my scars and say it's just attention. I can't stand my dad and his new wife. She hates me.. I need my mother. Plz help. Thank you

Thank you for reaching out to us and telling us your story. It sounds like you have a lot going on right now and we’re glad that you have contacted us for help. Now, we aren’t legally trained here so we can’t give you any specific answers but we can try to help you locate resources and discuss your other options. It was very brave of you to reach out to us.

It must be really hard to not be able to see your mom, especially since she seems like a great support for you and your mental health. No one should ever make fun of you for having a mental health illness, that’s very disrespectful. Mental health should be taken seriously and you should be supported. You also mentioned that you have scars from self-injuring, if you ever need support or someone to talk to about that, there is an organization that’s great for support. It’s called To Write Love on Her Arms, they have a text line and a website at twloha.org

You asked how you could go live with your mom but it sounds like your dad has the main custody of you, is that correct? It also sounds like you get to see your dad every few weeks, your mom may be able to go to court and try to get more custody. Again, we aren’t legally trained here so we wouldn’t be able to give you any specific details but you may need to speak with an attorney or someone else that is legally trained. They would probably be better able to answer legal questions and give you specific answers about your options.

If going to live with mom isn’t an option, do you know what you might do? Have you told anyone at school or any other adults how you are feeling? Sometimes, talking with people can help you feel better and help find other resources that may be available to you.

Here at the National Runaway Safeline, we are non-directive so we wouldn’t tell you what to do but we can help you explore options or resources. We have a database that includes numbers for shelters, counselors and legal aid; if you were to call us, we could also help you call the agencies to see if they would be able to help you. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) if you would like to give us a call. We also have online chat services that are available from 4:30 PM-11:30 PM (CST), 7 days a week if you would prefer talking with someone that way instead.

We look forward to hearing from you and wish you the best of luck.

~NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X