X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod6
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry to hear that you do not feel safe at home and feel like you need to leave.

While we are not legal experts, we do have a great deal of experience working with runaways. It is our understanding that in most instances, the police will force you to return back home if your parents report you as a runaway regardless of whether or not it is safe there. If you feel like what you are experiencing could be abuse it might be a good idea to consider making an abuse report. A great resource for understanding what that means and what could happen if you did file a report is the National Child Abuse Hotline reachable at 1-800-422-4453.

To answer your second question, if you do stay at someone’s house, they can be considered as harboring a runaway. Again, we are not legal experts, but this is usually considered a misdemeanor offense. It might be wise to have that adult call out to the police and ask them about what it would look like to be charged with harboring.

If you want to talk more in depth about your situation, what options you have, or if you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    i’m 15 almost 16 in less than a month and i need to run away from home bc i am not safe. will i be made to come back if i am not safe? and if i am staying with an adult are they considered as hiding a runaway?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod0
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that your friend is faced with right now and you’re wanting to find a way to help them as they mentioned wanting to run away due to abuse. It’s great that your friend has support and concern from you especially since this time is quite difficult for them.
    If they are being abused, they can reach out to Childhelp.org to discuss what abuse reporting may look like for their situation. If your friend leaves home before the age of 18 and their parents file a runaway report, your mother could be charged with harboring a runaway. For specific information about the laws in your area, it may be best to reach out to legal aid or the nonemergency police in your county.
    Having a space to vent and explore options may often bring out a solution previously not thought of. We are here as support to help you and your friend through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    We’re here to listen and to help and hope you or your friend can reach out soon.
    Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    My friend is getting abused by her father and she wants to come stay with me because I am her safe place can charges be pressed on my mother and can she get taken away?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hey there thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline (NRS),
    It seems like you have been through a lot since your mom passed away and are now in a complex situation. It’s understandable to want to get out of situations where you feel people are not treating you with respect. We hope you are currently in a place you feel safe and if you need help finding a safe place you can give our hotline a call or go to https://www.nationalsafeplace.org/ to find somewhere close by.
    We are not legal experts but from how you describe the situation it seems like your most recent guardian is the lady you just left from. Since she has custody, even temporary, then she has a right and responsibility to file a runaway report. This is what would activate the police to look for you and yes they would try to bring you back to their house. Police are generally supposed to listen if you have claims of abuse at home and contact CPS/DCFS and let you stay in a safe place while an investigation starts up. Since she only has temporary custody it’s possible that police would let you stay with your grandmas’ since it seems like she was your last permanent guardian. It mostly simplifies down to its up to police/Child services what the possible permanent placement ends up being.
    Again this seems like a really complex situation and we would like to explore it more along with you if you want to call our hotline at 1-800-786-2929 or chat with us online at 1800ruanway.org.

Guest replied
    hi I’m 15 and a runaway , my mother past away a year ago almost 2 years ago , & I ran away from my grandmas and I lived with this lady who isn’t family and well she treated me bad so I ran away from her house but she has temporary custody of me , before I ran away we were gonna go to court for legal custody, & well I wanna go back home to my grandmas but I’m scared the cops will find me and take me back to that lady’s house , or if I get taken by cps , what do I do , if I go back home to my grandmas will the cops go over there and send me back to that lady’s house or will they give me an option where I wanna go , how does this work

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod0
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    The easiest way to leave home is with your parents' permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button). If you would like to look into further support options, you can text with a crisis worker at the National Alliance on Mental Illness 24/7 by texting "NAMI" to 741741.
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Please click the link below to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Guest replied
    hello i am 11 years of age and i dont know what to do if i runaway. i have been thinking about it for a few months now and i sorta have a plan all i would do is try to survive :/ but i dont have anywhere to stay and no where to eat i have no mobile device besides my ipad :/ i am just so scared the reason why i want to runaway is because i feel like my parents are controlling my life not me pls help me

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod16
    Thank you for reaching out to us; we are glad that you did. It sounds like things have been really hard and stressful at home for you with you stepfather picking fights about such little things and him yelling so much. It is understandable that you would want to leave. We are sorry that you feel so lonely and that social services didn’t believe you.

As you learned from running before, your parents do have the right to have police come and get you, and in some states, they can get your cousin in trouble for taking you in, so it’s good of you to think of her.

We do our best work with people when we can have a conversation with you. Your life and experiences are unique to you and we are here to listen and help you think of another option.

The best way for us to help you is by talking with you through our confidential services, and we are here for you 24/7 either by calling 1-800-786-2929 or via live chat through www.1800runaway.org
    We are confidential and are here 24/7 to listen and help.

Guest replied
    I'm 15 and have severe depression and anxiety. I've been planning on running away for some time now and I was wondering how much trouble I'd be in with the police. I have attempted running away once before but was sent back home in less than 24 hours by the police. My stepfather yells too much and starts huge fights with me and my mom over things as small as whether ketchup is meant to be eaten with eggs. I don't have a phone and feel so lonely sometimes it sounds like a better idea to just run away to live with my cousin. The thing is, she's over 18 and my parents don't agree with her on almost anything. I believe they'd charge her with certain felonies/charges. Social Security was contacted once but they were convinced by my stepfather that I'm lying about this abuse, and even my mother seems blind-sighted by the truth. What do you think I should do?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension. It may be beneficial to speak with your dad directly about your desire to live with him. Sometimes custody transfers will need to go through the family court system and it may be beneficial to speak with a legal advocate. If you need help locating a legal aid group near you you can check out https://www.lawhelp.org/find-help/.

It sounds like you and your parents are on different pages when it comes to what each of you considers to be fair. It could be a good idea to work with a local family counselor or have a conversation mediated by a school counselor/social worker, trusted friend, or family member to help clear the air. If you'd like, you can also call us directly and we can conduct a conference call with your parents so you have a safe environment where you can express yourself.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

We'd love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to support youth and families. Please click the link below to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Stay safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I'm 15 and my mom and my step dad don't treat me an my 17 year old brother fair. When we do our chors we expect to get money at the end of the week and its been months since we got money from our parents. We can't sit in a chair a certain way and its our summer break and they makes us get off at 10 pm on the weekdays and 11 pm on the weekends. I remember when I was about to eat these wings in my refigarater, my step dad came in and yell at me and said why are we eating his food. I REALLY WANT TO LIVE WITH MY DAD

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hello There,
    Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through a really difficult time, and we want you to know that you are not alone.
    It must be stressful to have a lot of chaos at home and scary to have gotten in trouble with the police. One option to consider would be to talk with a counselor or trusted adult about what you are going through. They may be able to provide you with options and resources.
    Also we are not legal experts but we do have some information on the laws. Because you have ran away a few times already, the consequence’s may be greater or they may look into what services they can provide for you. You can also look into emancipation, if you call us we can give you legal aid numbers that would be able to explain the process. In most states they may require you to be 15 to begi
    n the process.
    We hope that this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support to you. Best of luck!
    NRS

Guest replied
    I'm 14 and I want to run away. This would be the third time but I don't know what the consequences would be. If I do run away I would have nowhere to go. I really just need to get out of the house for awhile. it's just full of chaos and there is not much things that I am allowed to do. I recently got in serious trouble with law enforcement for a crime back in 2019. I didn't get arrested but I did get a warning. I got pulled out of school. This is my second time being home schooled and I just miss my friends so much. I feel lonely sometimes.I'm adopted and ever since I've just been facing depression, anxiety and a lot of stress. I don't know what to do. i'm really tempted to leave and live with someone that would take care of me...Any advice?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    replied
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent/guardian permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, they may file you as a runaway and if picked up by the police you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway.

For more specifics on the law, contact the local non-emergency number to the police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Be safe,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X