•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod0
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hey there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.

While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.

You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. They can tell you more about how CPS could respond to your situation. If you ever need assistance calling out to CPS to make an abuse or neglect report please call is at 1-800-RUNAWAY.

We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I've been in a home i hate since being adopted at the age of 6 (im 15 ill be 16 in less than two months). My parents treat me like crap. Recently i informed the school my dad shook me around and pushed me the ground hard enough to leave bruises from his fingertips. They alaways ground me because they think im a bad kid when im really not. I dont want to live with them anymore. Today they found the phone ive been using since im grouneded and they flipped out!! Ive comteplated leaving and running away to a friends house. What will happen to me if i do?

Hello, I'm 15, actually almost 16, and I am thinking of running away from home. I live in the U.S and I want to leave home because having parents of Asian heritage is extremely stressful to me. I'm trying to do better in school but somehow everyone does better and they have better lives than me. Please reply soon because I might go after Christmas. By the way, I have no place to stay and if I do run from home, I'll take some clothes, food, water, supplies and I'll just go wherever I can as I have no place to stay. Please reply soon! Thanks!
    Last edited by ccsmod0; 12-17-2019, 11:46 PM. Reason: two posts. combined into one. deleted second post.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hi,

Thanks for reaching out. It sounds like you’ve been going through a very hard time at home. No one deserves to be mistreated by anyone, least of all their parents. But we’re glad you reached out for some support. That takes a lot of courage.

The most important thing is that you’re safe. If you’ve been having thoughts of hurting yourself, you can always call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255. You can also call our crisis hotline anytime, 24/7, at 1-800-786-2929. Someone is always hear to listen and to help. If you’d rather not call, you can try our chat service at 1800runaway.org.

We’re sorry to hear your mom has been verbally abusive. If you’ve been abused, you always have the right to report that. For help with that process, you can call Child Help at 1-800-422-4453. Someone will be there to hear your story and to help. You can also call our crisis hotline if you want information or support with abuse reporting.

As for running away, it’s possible that your mom might file a report and that police would take you back home. You wouldn’t be breaking any laws, but the person you stay with could get charged with harboring a runaway. However, police might be less likely to intervene if they know that you’re in a safer environment than you were at home, i.e., if an abuse report is in place.

If you have any more questions or just want to talk, please don’t hesitate to give us a call. Thanks again for reaching out and we hope to hear from you soon.

Guest replied
    hi, im 15 years old and i’ve been planning on running away.

i live in an unhealthy and unsafe environment. i constantly get remarks about stuff regarding what i do, my appearance and just everything about me. it hurts a lot. i get verbally abused, and because of these said remarks i’ve developed depression, suicidal thoughts and also anorexia. there hasn’t been a day where i don’t think about committing suicide. my parents are almost always fighting. my mother is always harsh towards me. my siblings never stand up for me. i’ve always felt alone and isolated here, a place where im supposed to feel loved and safe. i’ve tried talking to them about it, which resulted to me getting made fun of and mocked. im losing hope, and i just want all of it to stop. im thinking about running away, maybe stay at a friend’s house for a while. im thinking of leaving a note explaining everything and how im never ever going back home again. but if they still report a runaway file, i see that if i get caught they’re going to try to make me go home again. if i explain everything and convince them to not take me back home, what happens next? i don’t want anything to happen to my friends, nor to any of my siblings. i just want more information as to what happens after they let me stay. thank you.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    Hi there, thank you for reaching out to us! It’s important for you to know that running away is not a crime nor is it illegal, which means you won’t have any serious legal consequences for running away and getting caught. When you run away it is considered a status offense, police must return you home simply because you are a minor. At 15 your parents/legal guardians do have the right to file a runaway report with the police and they would then actively search for you. Although it may not be common it is possible that your parents/legal guardians can charge the person you are staying way for “harboring a runaway” which means keeping you without permission. You may also want to consider shelters in your area, but you should know that each shelter is different some will take you in with no questions asked, some will require to notify your parents/legal guardians (not permission just an attempt to notification), and others will require consent. If you are looking for resources in your area we can help you out, for specific questions please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chatting with us at 1800runaway.org. We are 24/7, confidential and toll-free. We understand that it can be difficult to reach out for help, so we thank you for contacting us! Best of luck!

Guest replied
    Hi, I'm 15 years old what happens if I run away in Georgia I have somewhere safe to stay but will how much trouble will I get in?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod0
    Hey there,
    Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We understand it can be difficult to talk about these things you're dealing with, and we are here for you. Because your aunt and uncle have temporary custody of you, they are your legal guardians. If you do leave their home before the age of 18, they could report to the police that you are a runaway, and your mom could be prosecuted for harboring a runaway. If the court granted your aunt and uncle custody, there could be major consequences for your mom if she takes you to San Antonio, especially if this requires her to take you across state lines (you didn't mention if you are also in Texas). You could possibly talk to your aunt and uncle about spending more time with your mom instead of completely leaving and moving in with her. If you would like to talk in more detail about your situation and explore options, you can reach us by phone or by chat through our website. A service we provide is conference calling, and we could help facilitate a call between you and your aunt and uncle if you feel like that would help you talk to them about what you are wanting.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    his i am 15 and i wanna run away my aunt and uncle have temporary custody of my but i don't wanna stay here no more what happens if my mom comes and picks me up and takes me to san antonio

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. It makes sense that you would want more freedom and independence and it sounds really frustrating to be under such intense supervision. Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do.

We aren’t legal experts here at NRS, but generally speaking, if you do opt to leave your home your parents can file a runaway report, which is essentially a missing person report. Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor. If a runaway report is filed and you are located by the authorities you will most likely be returned home.

It seems like your parents don't fully understand how their constant supervision is affecting you. It could be a good idea to work with a local family counselor or have a conversation mediated by a school counselor/social worker, trusted friend, or family member to help clear the air. If you'd like, you can also call us directly and we can conduct a conference call with your parents so you have a safe environment where you can express yourself.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hello, I'm 15 years old and Live in Colorado (U.S) and I want to get away from home. My parents have me under their thumb with everything and all I want is some freedom and privacy, They love me and care for me, but they stress me out too much. I say I'm "Saving money for a Switch, however, I'm just saving money So I can get a start on running away, most likely to another state. They also took away everything from me (Other than my Computer for HW) so they have no way of knowing where I am. In the event they might find me, are there any consequences against me for running away for a bit?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    Hey, we’re so glad that you reached out. Getting out of an abusive situation is really brave thing to do, and must have been really hard for you. It’s great that you had somewhere to go where you felt safe. No one deserves to be put through abuse.

That’s a really good question. It is possible for the people who took you in to get in trouble, especially if your parents/guardians filed a runaway report for you. They could potentially be charged with harboring a runaway. However, if your parents gave you permission to leave, then they wouldn’t be in any trouble. It generally depends on the circumstance. Something for you to possibly consider could be filing an abuse report. We know that this might be a little intimidating, but if you go to https://www.childhelp.org/ they have a lot of great information on what that process might look like, and other helpful information for people in your situation.

If you have any questions or are still at all confused, please feel free to call the National Runaway Safeline (1-800-786-2929) and we’ll provide some clarification on your situation. If reporting is something you’re interested in, we could also help you with that if you’d like. If you go to our website at https://www.1800runaway.org/ there’s also a chat option if you don’t feel comfortable speaking with someone on the phone. We’re available 24/7 and are completely anonymous. It takes a lot of strength for you to take care of yourself like you have, and we want the best for your situation

Guest replied
    Hi im 15 and i ran away from an abusive situation. i was wondering if the paretns who took me in would get in trouble ?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to us. It's great that you are trying to get support for the difficult situation you are in. We're here to help as best as we can.

It hurts to have conflict with family, and we're sorry to hear about your depression and self-harm. Sometimes talking things through is a first step towards healing. You know, we are always available if you'd ever like to talk. We are here 24/7, are totally confidential, and never tell anyone what to do. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat with us via our website by visiting the chatroom at www.1800runaway.org. Another great resource in regards self-harm is www.twloha.com. Lots of good advice and support there.

As toyour question about running away: well, we can't ever tell anyone what to do, but you might want to consider some questions about what running away would like like for you. Questions like where you would live, how running away would affect your schooling and your future, how your parents might react, and so forth. You also mention you would like to go back to living with your sister and have more contact with your mum. One idea might be to simply ask permission from your dad if you can do that. If he agrees, then you wouldn't be considered a runaway. But perhaps there are other options as well. We'd like to help further, but would need some more information from you to see how we can help. So if you give us a call or chat with us that would be really great.

Whatever you decide, please know that you don't have to face your challenges alone. We are here for you and there are other resources that can help as well. Please stay safe. We hope to hear from you soon!

NRS
    Last edited by ccsmod15; 11-28-2019, 08:35 AM.

Guest replied
    hi im 15 and ive planned to run away today after school, ive had a massive argument with my parents and sister. i live with my dad and step-mum =, my step-sister was talking about my mum and said shes a stripper and an acoholic, i have had a bad life and been in foster care because my mum had an abusive relationship. im not allowed to hang around with my best friend [name edited] because apparently she causes to much trouble and shes a bad influence but i dont think she is. i have self-harmed before on my arms and legs and i feel so depressed i cannot take it anymore. is good that i want to go back into foster care where my real sister is and live there with her and i will be able to have contact with my mum again or stay at a broken, argumentive house. should i run away?
    Last edited by ccsmod15; 11-28-2019, 08:18 AM. Reason: edited youth's name for privacy

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hello There,
    Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through a really difficult situation. You do not deserved to be judged and most people judge because of their own insecurities.
    We want you to know that your life is valuable, and it may not seem like it now but you have a lot to live for. Suicide is a permeant decision for a temporary situation that you may not always have to deal with. You do not have to deal with this alone, there is always someone willing to listen and provide support. If you are ever feeling suicidal please call The National Suicide Prevention Line at: 1800-273-8255. Also you could consider talking with a school counselor about what you are going through. Sometimes having someone that can provide support may be helpful to you.
    We are not legal experts but we do have general information on the laws. Because you are a minor if you were to runaway your legal guardian does have the right to file a runaway report. If the police do find you they most likely would bring you back home. You could consider emancipation but in most states you would need to be at least 15 years old to start the process. If you would like to know more about the process please give us a call.
    We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any more questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support. We wish you the best of luck!
    NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X