•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod2
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hello there,
    Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. We are sorry you are going through such a difficult time right now.
    We are not legal experts but we do have some general information on the laws. If you were to leave home as a minor your parents do have the right to file a runaway report. If the police do find you they most likely would bring you home. If you would like to talk about what has been going on please give us a call.
    We wish you the best of luck! We are here 24/7 to listen and provide you support.
    NRS

Guest replied
    Im 15 years old and i stay in SC i wanna runaway im so stressed our and pissed off with both parents that don't listen to me ...... is it illegal ? or a charge?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    We are so sorry to hear you're being mistreated by your parents! They don't have the right to call you a mistake. In fact, that could be considered verbal and emotional abuse, which you have the right to report if you want. We can even file an abuse report for you, but that's your decision.

In terms of running away, here are some things to keep in mind: Running away is considered a status offense like breaking curfew. You can't get arrested, but police could detain you and would have to bring you back home. So there's no legal "punishment" for running away, though there are consequences.

Of course, we never tell anyone what to do. But if you did run away you might want to think about things like where you would live, how you would stay safe, how you would go to school, and stuff like that. We'd like to help out further but would need more information from you. The best way for us to do that is if you give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat with us online by visiting our website: www.1800runaway.org. Please be safe and know that you don't have to face this alone. We hope to hear from you soon.

Guest replied
    Imma 14 year old kid from TX, not going to say where..... but i'm planning on running away... ASAP because my parents don want me around and they call me a MISTAKE, so..... yeah im thinking of running away, is there any punishment for doing this?
    if so, what would happen?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.
    Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
    If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best
    We hope to hear from you soon.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I have been verbally and mentally abused by my mom for the past 15 years I want to run away and stay at my boyfriends house is it illegal if I do because what if he gets arrested but the thing is that I don't feel safe in my home with my mother saying things to me so what should I do

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to NRS. It sounds like you want to leave home, but only one parent will give you permission. You know what is best for you and your situation, and we want to make sure you are safe. If you leave without permission, your mom can file a runaway report. Running away is not illegal and you would not be arrested. If police know where you are, they will most likely return you home.

The easiest way to leave is with your parents' permission. We understand that these conversations can be difficult, and we are here to help. We are able to facilitate a conference call with you and your parents to advocate for you and make sure you feel heard.

We can best be of help by phone and chat. We want to help you figure out your next steps and would need more information about your situation to explore options with you. Please do not hesitate to reach out by phone (1-800-786-2929) or use our online chat services (1800runaway.org).

Be safe,
    NRS

• ccsmod13
    Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to NRS. It sounds like both of your parents have not been providing safe places for you to stay. Abuse is never okay, and your safety is a priority to us. You deserve to live somewhere you feel supported. Leaving can be a really difficult decision to make, so it is really good that you found a safe place to go to.

If you do leave your mom can file a runaway report. You would not get arrested, but police would likely return you home if they found you. You can tell them why you left and you do not feel safe with your mom or dad. You know your situation best

It is not okay for your mom to hit you and leave marks on you. You have the option to report this as abuse. Making a report would mean that a social worker would come to your house to talk with you and your parents to decide if home is safe for you. This might sound weird, but it can help to take pictures of the marks your mom leaves on you as evidence. If you would like to go this route you can contact the national child abuse hotline at 1-800-422-4453 or go to https://www.childhelp.org/hotline/ for support and more information.

We want to help you figure out your next steps and are available 24/7 to listen and help. Please do not hesitate to reach out by phone (1-800-786-2929) or use our online chat services (1800runaway.org).

Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi I'm 15 and ready to run away from my mom,I already have a safe place to go but is it ok to run away if my mom makes marks on me and makes threats to me? I can't go to my dad's because of hes abusive to me but now my mom is making it wost i dkbt know any other option unless y'all have suggestions. I NEED HELP PLEASE

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hello I’m fifteen and I want to run away. Know my dad doesn’t care he said if I do. It’s more my mom. If I stayed in a safe place. What would happen?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod3
    Thank you for reaching out to us. It sounds like you have really thought about this plan and just want more clarification on what will happen if you runaway. While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. If you are having issues with your parents and feel unsafe you can contact Child Help at 1800-422-4453. If you have specific questions that you felt like were not addressed you could always call us at 1800-RUNAWAY. We are here to help and are 24/7. Best of Luck!

Guest replied
    Hi I am 16 and thinking about running away to live with my boyfriend. I live in Ohio and he is in North Carolina. I know it’s very far, but I have a car and I have a job so I have plenty of money saved up if I were to go through with this. I don’t want to speak to my family anymore, it’s not that they’ve done anything wrong to me I just want to leave everything behind and I was wondering what I would need to do to do that, without having to deal with my family in court

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod10
    Hello,

It sounds like you are interested in emancipation. We are not legal experts, but we can help you get a general sense of how emancipation works. Our general understanding is some states offer formal emancipation statutes while others do not unfortunately. Laws vary depending on your location, but in many states a minor can petition the court for emancipation to take responsibility for their own care before they turn 18. Generally speaking, courts are wary about granting emancipation. In most cases, you would have to prove in court that you have an income and can care for yourself financially, and that you are able to live separately from your parents. It also helps to be in good standing at school. The court will also factor in the mental and physical welfare of your parents in order to establish your best interest. Usually your legal guardian would have to agree to this in court. Once you are emancipated, you can legally choose where you live, but you might still find that you cannot sign a lease or build credit until you turn 18. The emancipation process can take several months or up to a year, and may cost money in the form of court fees and other expenses. Usually, the best way to learn about emancipation in your state is to contact a lawyer. You may also find information at your county family court. We can look up legal aid resources that may be able to help you with the process. Please do not hesitate to call or chat if you have questions, need legal resources, or need to talk. We can explore your situation, go over all your options, and come up with a plan and resources to deal with your situation over the phone or on live chat. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck.

Guest replied
    How do you get papers for your parents to sign for you to live at a friends house?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod3
    Thank you for reaching out to us. It seems like you are concerned about what will happen if you runaway. While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. If you are having issues with your parents and feel unsafe you can contact Child Help at 1800-422-4453. If you have specific questions that you felt like were not addressed you could always call us at 1800-RUNAWAY. We are here to help and are 24/7. Best of Luck!
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X