X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ccsmod1 View Post
    Hi there,

We are not legal experts, but we can tell you that because you are a minor, if you leave home and your parents file a runaway report, you could be returned home. There could also be legal consequences for whomever you stay with for what is called harboring a run away. If you want a liner to help you walk through other options like us mediating a conference call between you and your parents, thinking through possible adults that you could turn to or could advocate for you, or things like emancipation and legal aid numbers, don't hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

NRS
    hi im planing on runing away to new york but im in foster care

Comment

im in europe and i want to get to california and i dont know if i can do it under the age of 18 or how can i do it without having to pay 300 dollar for a plane ticket?

Comment

• ccsmod7
        ccsmod7 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there, unfortunately we are not legal experts and can only speak generally to runaway laws in the USA. We do not have knowledge of international law or how to get to California from Europe as a minor. You might reach out to your local childline to see if they have any helpful information for you: https://www.childhelplineinternation...pline-network/.

Best,

NRS

I’m 15 I just want to run away my mom caught me with one cigarette and started yelling and told my brother not to talk to me .. What’s the legal trouble if I runaway. What would happen if I ran away to my grandma's house?
      Last edited by ccsmod4; 01-30-2019, 12:51 AM.

Comment

• ccsmod15
        Super Moderator
        • Apr 2014

Thanks so much for reaching out to NRS. We’re so sorry to hear you’ve been having suicidal thoughts. No one deserves to have to deal with something so painful. It sounds like you’ve been dealing with a tough environment for a while and are looking for a way out, which is understandable.

Have you told anyone about the thoughts you’ve been having? If you ever feel like you might act on those suicidal thoughts, please call 911 or the National Suicide Prevention Hotline at 1-800-273-8255. Telling a counselor at school or a therapist can also be helpful – sometimes it makes a big difference just being able to get heavy feelings off your chest. We at NRS can also help you find mental health resources in your area if you give us a call at 1-800-786-2929.

Although we’re not legal experts, in Illinois, you generally need to be 18 to leave home without a parent or guardian’s permission. If you were to run away to your grandma’s house and your guardian or parent reported you as a runaway to police, all that means is the police could bring you home, since running away is a status offense and not a crime. If your parents gave you permission to go stay with your grandma, that would be legal.

Without knowing more about what’s going on at home, if your parents are guardians are harming you physically (hitting, kicking, etc.) or emotionally (cruel words, put-downs, threats, etc.) that could be considered child abuse and you have the right to report it at any time. A great resource is Child Help, a 24/7 confidential hotline like NRS that is focused on child abuse and can answer your questions about reporting and what might happen. Their number is 1-800-422-4453.

It takes a lot of courage to ask for help, and it shows a lot of maturity that you’re doing your research and exploring all your options before leaving home. We’re here for you any time, and wish you the best of luck.
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

im 15 i just want to run away my mom caught me with one cigerette and started yelling and tld my brother not to talk to me .. whats the legal trouble if i runaway

Comment

im 14 an i live with my daddy an he mistreats me i was on the phone with my mother an he came in the room an grabbed my jacket an slung me into the wall my mama came to get me an he wouldnt let me go he called the police an they said that they cant make that kind of chose so im trying to see can i leave from school and go with my mama

Comment

• ccsmod7
              ccsmod7 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hello there, thanks for reaching out today.

Sounds like your dad really hurt you, and it's understandable that you are wanting to live with your mom. No one deserves to be treated like that. That has to be frustrating that police did not intervene after they knew you were harmed. Here at NRS, we truly want to be a support for you during this difficult time.

It seems like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at your dad's right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You have the right to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or transferring custody to your mom.

Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.

If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org if you are unable to call in at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best.

We hope to hear from you soon.

Be safe,

NRS

I am 15 and want to run away for a short while to my friends house. I am bisexual and my parents are very against it, I feel scared for what may happen if they find out. Will my friend get in trouble if i run away?

Comment

• ccsmod1
              ccsmod1 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension and where you feel like you aren’t allowed to be yourself.

It’s great to hear that your aunts support you. If you do opt to leave your home your parents can file a runaway report, which is essentially a missing person report. Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor. If you go to stay at your friend’s house without prior permission from your parents, they (or whoever is the legal adult in the home) could be charged with harboring a runaway, which is a misdemeanor. Penalties for harboring a runaway vary from state to state, police officer to officer, and how your parents view the situation.

We want you to know that you are strong for having gone through so much already. It is perfectly okay to deviate from what others or the common population believe to be “normal”. Your bravery and resilience is so admirable. You are so strong for having gone through so much without having the acceptance that you do deserve for just being you. Remember that you are not alone. The LGBT National Hotline could be a resource that can be a source of great support. The hotline is run by those that are familiar with the issues and experiences of those that are also a part of the LGBTQ community. You can reach them by calling 1-8888-843-4564 or you can check out their website at gltbhotline.org.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
              NRS

If ur 15 n they sent the police looking for u how many days or years will they be searching?

Comment

• ccsmod4
              Super Moderator
              • May 2007

Reply: If ur 15 n they sent the police looking for u...

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

While we are not experts on the law, someone under 18 that leaves home, the parent/guardian may file them as a runaway and they may be returned home.
              The runaway report will stay active until you turn 18 or you have been recovered and returned home. Also, those that a reported runaway stays with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. Anyone found to be assisting or aiding someone to run away may also find themselves at risk legally. For more specifics on the law, you might consider contacting the local non-emergency number for the police. You might also look for a legal aid center in the area. They may be able to answer any legal questions on the subject.

We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
              Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Be safe,
              NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Tell us what you think about your experience!

Comment

• Can u go to the clinic if your a runaway and what could happen

Comment

• ccsmod4
                  Super Moderator
                  • May 2007

Reply: Can u go to the clinic...

Hello,
                  Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. There may be outreach services with a drop in clinic in your area. We are not able to give you specifics on the policies to be seen but you are welcome to contact NRS to look for local services.

We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and explore services, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
                  If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to or seek emergency assistance immediately.
                  We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
                  NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us

Tell us what you think about your experience!

Comment

• I'm 15 in Texas and I want to runaway with my brother to live with my dad because my mom isn't capable of taking responsibility for us

Comment

• ccsmod6
                      ccsmod6 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hi, thank you for reaching out to us. It sounds like things are hard for you and your brother at home with your mom not taking responsibility for you. There are always consequences to running away which is why we try to help keep youth safe and off the streets.
                      There are matters of custody to consider, so talking with your dad about what’s been happening would be a good step. Also talking to another trusted adult, maybe someone at school, would let them file a report to the State that you live in to investigate. You can also visit https://www.nationalsafeplace.org/ to either text for immediate help or find a place away from your home to have a youth worker meet with you and talk things over.
                      You can always reach us at our hotline 1-800-RUNAWAY to talk over your options. You can also reach us via live chat through the website 1800runaway.org Call us anytime.

• I'm a parent of 3 kids and they have a friend that I know little about but needed a place to stay so I said ok just til he found another place. Then last night his girlfriend from another town came to see him and stayed the night and as the new day came around and time went by I'm now learning that the girl is 15 and is a possible runaway. On top of that the boy I allowed to stay is 19. What do I do or who do I need to call about this?????
                    PLEASE HELP IM REALLY UPSET AND STEESSST AND WAS ONLY TRUING TO BE NICE BUT I DONT WANT TO GET INTO ANY TROUBLE OR CAUSE ANY PROBLEMS BUT I WAS UNNAWARE OF ANY OF WHAT HAS COME TO SURFACE ABOUT EITHER KID.

Comment

• ccsmod5
                      ccsmod5 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. It’s very kind of you to open your home to someone in need. However, we totally understand your concern about not wanting to get into trouble. It is true that harboring a runaway can be a crime. A good option would be to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY or to have the youth call us. That way we could help her find a safe and legal place for her to stay. Another option would be to bring her to a shelter yourself. We really appreciate you reaching out and looking forward to hearing from you.
                      Last edited by ccsmod5; 02-15-2019, 05:24 PM.

• Hi I'm 15 and my bf is like 20 he stay like 5 hours away I want him to come pick me up again this is the second time he would have how do I hide from the police?

Comment

• ccsmod6
                      ccsmod6 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. It may be difficult for you to hide from the police if they already know that you have run away to your boyfriend before and they know where he lives. Other than that, it is a little hard for us to advise you on your situation without more information. If you want to talk in greater depth about what is going on, we may be able to figure out some other options that you might have. If you are interested, please reach out to us on our confidential 24/7 hotline 1-800-786-2929 or on chat at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
                      NRS

• My sisters daughter is almost 15 and ran away for the first time last night. The police were called and she came home on her own but we are worried she will do it again. She is in counseling for mental issues. I want to give them support but don’t know what to do for the situation. Do you have any suggestions? Thank you

Comment

• ccsmod7
                      ccsmod7 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hi, that sounds like a really tough situation so thank you for reaching out to us.

This is a really scary place for a parent to be, since they don’t know what their daughter is planning, so it’s great that they know they have your support. It sounds like a lot of good steps are already being taken since she’s in counseling and it’s clear that there is a support system around her, even if she doesn’t neccessarily see it. You can definitely try giving either your sister or her daughter our phone number. We’d be able to talk with either or both of them about what’s going on at home that’s making the youth want to leave, and we could talk about coping strategies and options. One other option is that if your sister is feeling like her daughter is really out of control, some states have programs for out of control youth, but it varies from state to state. If that seems like something you’d like to learn more about you can reach out to us via call or chat to learn more about it in your state. If she does decide to run away, she can reach out to us then as well, and we could at least help her to find ways to stay safe and we could provide additional missing children resources to your sister.

As for right now, it sounds like you’re really just trying to be there for her family and that’s already a huge support to the parents. If you have a good relationship with your niece, and feel comfortable doing so, then you can always try assuring her that if she does decide to run away, she could come to you, so at least you know she has a safe place to go. There’s a lot going on here and it can be really overwhelming. If you ever need support, you can also feel free to reach out to us yourself, and we’re always here to listen. Please feel free to reach out any time, we’re available 24/7 at 1-800-Runaway.
                  Working...
                  X