Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    I’ve been wanting to leave my home for longer than I can remember. My stepdad would hit me and my mom would turn a blind eye and when I would report it I had no way to prove that he did hit me. My mom is two different people, she takes my stepdads side every time and when he’s gone she complains about him being mean. I hate being called racist names and emotionally abused and put down. I wanna run away and I will do everything I can to make that happen, my house isn’t the safest place for me right now.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    commented on Guest's reply
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).
    We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. If you’re feeling unsafe and need a safe place to go and talk to someone, you may wish to visit The National Safeplace website (www.nationalsafeplace.org). This organization provides access to immediate help and supportive resources for youth in need. You can look up your city and state to see if there are any safe places near you listed. So that is always an option if you feel like talking to someone in person about what has been going on or if you just need a safe place to stay.

You also may use your phone to text the word “safe” and your current location (city/state/zip) to 44357. If there are safe places and shelters nearby, a list of those will be sent to your phone and you may have the option to text back and forth with a trained counselor as well.

Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Im a 14 kid from California, but I'm soon going to 15. My home life is horrible, my stepdad is horrible and my mom always sides with him. I want to runaway or go to a youth group home or shelter. I don't want to press charges against anyone, because I don't want my brother to be taken away from them. I'm an LGBT youth and im not sure who to contact or what to do, except leave my house for a while.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod5
    Hi there,
    Thanks for reaching out to us and explaining a bit about your situation. We are open 24/7, always here to listen and help in any way we can.

We are so sorry that your family have been mistreating you at home. It sounds like you’re in a lot of pain there and that it’s becoming too stressful. It makes sense that you feel like you need to get out of that environment. Your life matters and your safety is very important to us. If you feel like getting out of the house is your best option, we are here for you. It’s not something you can be arrested for but if the police find you then they would most likely return you home. If you stay a runaway until you turn 18, then the runaway report will go away. If you do decide to go with that option, please give us a call or chat with us so we can make sure you stay safe. It’s understandable that school is something that’s concerning for you. There are laws in place that protect the educational rights of runaway and homeless youth. Please call or chat with us we can also can look to see if there’s any runaway shelters in your area.

We are also able to do conference calls with youth and CPS, if you wanted to report any abuse.

Again, thanks for reaching out to us. Please give us a call or chat with us on our website. We are open 24/7 and always here for you.

Stay safe, NRS

Guest replied
    im 15 i turn 16 july 22, i really need to get away from my family, all my life my dad has been an asshole and put me through mental abuse, my grandma shows favoritism towards my sister everyday and treats me like ********, for a very long time i have been planing on running away since i was 6 i am very impatient and i want to leave now, but i don't have a car and i don't know where im going to go and i wanted to know if i run away now and the police look for me, when i turn 18 will it matter where im at? and i don't know what to do about school.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod3
    Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. 18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. However, in that case there may be services (family counseling, etc.) available to you as a youth in crisis/runaway but again, police procedures related to offering those services can be different based on your location or the details of your situation. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. One way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth.

If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    We hope to hear from you soon.

Guest replied
    I don’t know what to write here but my parents and I got into a huge fight and I’m thinking about running away what should I do

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Thanks for reaching out to NRS,
    It seems like home at your grandma’s is rough right now and she’s been treating you unfairly. It’s understandable that you would want to leave and find a safer pace to call home.
    It seems like your grandma has guardianship as such if you were to leave to your friends or mom’s house she could file a runaway report. In this case as a runaway the police could try to find you and make you go home. The police are supposed to listen to your reasons why you left, and if there is claims of abuse they are supposed to investigate those claims before forcing you back home. You won’t necessarily get in trouble but those you stay with may be at risk of harboring a runaway charges.
    Hopefully this information helps to clear thing sup. If you have more questions or just need someone to talk with you can always call our hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY.

Guest replied
    I’m 15 and I’m wanting to runaway. I can’t live in the environment I’m in my grandma who has guardianship, is crazy and really really mean. I have 2 places to go one my friends and my mom, but I don’t know if I will get in trouble. If I go get find by her or by police will I have to go back home if, I say what has been happening with my grandma. I don’t really know what to do to get away from her without her knowing.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hello There,
    Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through a really difficult time right now, and we want you to know that we are here to help.
    It can be really difficult to come out to your family, especially if they have expressed a dislike for the LGBTQ community. They may be more open minded because you are their child and they may support you in whatever choice you make. Obviously we know that this is not always the case and they may not accept you. We know these conversations can be difficult that is why at NRS we offer conference calling. Conference calling works by you calling us and we can call out to your parents and help you have a conversation. Conference calling allows you to be heard and we are there for support. A good resource for you may be The LGBT National Hotline: 888-843-4564.
    We are not legal experts but we do have some basic information. If you were to leave home without permission your legal guardian could file a runaway report. If the police were to find you they most likely would bring you home. You mentioned possibly getting beaten, if this happens or before it happens you can contact the police. You can also report abuse by calling Child Help at: 1800-422-4453.
    We hope that this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support. Best of luck!
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi i’ve been planning on come out for a while now. But if i do i feel like i’ll have to leave home because they won’t accept me. They’ve basically made it to me that they dislike the LBGTQ community. So i was planning on leaving home, but i just don’t know where and what i’ll do.If i were to stay with them they would probably get violent or neglect me. I’m 14 and live in MD

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod8
    Hello there –

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline and posting on our public forum. By helping you during your crisis, hopefully there are other youth that are in similar situations can read this for help as well. Reading your post, we can see that you have very similar questions to a lot of our callers and you’re looking for some answers. Hopefully we can help.

As you have probably read throughout out our threads here, that we aren’t legal experts and that the age of majority does vary from state to state. So we aren’t going to go through that with you as you can find it easily. We want to make sure that you are safe doing whatever you decided to do, it's certainly a jump step to make. Having a solid plan about what you are planning on doing it might be a good idea so that you can think about what is reasonably possible for you to do and want isn’t. Factoring in these kinds of thoughts into your overall plan, again can possibly help you in your choice.

It’s really unfortunate that your ex-boyfriend is dealing with abuse at home to the point where he is thinking about leaving home. No one deserves to be treated that way at all. As he has the right to protect himself for any abusive behavior, it sounds like he doesn’t really want to tell anyone because he is worried about his siblings. That’s really brave and considerate of him. Just know that he always has the right to report any abuse (physical, mental, sexual, or neglect/abandonment) to child protective service in the state if he chooses to do so in the end.

One thing that may be helpful for him is to possibly note when the fighting/yelling is happening or any triggers of the fighting/yelling (some examples would be like after his abuser comes from work or after dinner and/or right when he gets home) and to try to find things that can keep himself away from home during those times (after school programs, sports program, study group at a friend’s house, getting involved in your volunteering, etc).

If you or your ex-boyfriend want to talk more about running away from home or even what is going on at home, feel free to reach out to us via our 24-hour hotline or online chat.

Guest replied
    Two questions: first one is regarding me- i am 15 & contemplating running away, but after further research im not entirely sure what could happen if it didn't go according to plan. & 2.) my boyfriend lives in an abusive household and he hasnt talked due to the fear of what will happen to his siblings (as he is the only one in harms way atm) and his abusive father has taken him out of the school he went to that i went to with him, and doesn't allow him to have a phone (i recently talked to him after he stole his brothers phone, and he had to break things off because we have no way of contact) and i don't know what to do to ensure his safety, he has ran away before but it backfired and i want to help him out but idk what all i can do that wont cause more issues.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod0
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on with your mom and the person she's dating. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Please click the link below to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Guest replied
    So my mom has been doing drugs since she had my brother 11 years ago, shes dating someone who is bipolar but refuses to do anything about it. I've tried telling my mom that I'm hurt but she wont do anything. I would call cps but I'm afraid theyll put me into foster care, I dont have any family that could take me in, which might turn out worse. I have a friend that's willing to let me stay with him but I dont want him to get in trouble. I really dont know what to do.

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X