Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Hey, I’m 15 and pregnant. My mother is my legal guardian but she hates me and she’s trying to destroy my life. My dad went to prison four years ago and that’s when it all started I want to runaway but I live in Michigan (USA) and it’s not legal for me to leave. I want to stay at my boyfriends house who is also 15 his parents love me and they take care of me a lot more than my mom does. I don’t know what to do I want to runaway but i can’t go to my boyfriends house being they would be in trouble for harboring a runaway...

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    commented on Guest's reply
    Thank you for contacting NRS. It sounds like you are going through a very tough time and we’re glad you reached out to us. No one deserves to be treated the way you are being treated at home and reaching out to us is a good first step to take. If you do not feel safe at home, you can also contact National Safe Place at www.nationalsafeplace.org or text SAFE and your location to 44357. They will let you know the nearest safe place location where you can go until you determine what you want to do.

If you feel like you are in imminent danger you can always call 911. You can also consider calling Child Protective Services and filing an abuse report. If you are uncomfortable calling yourself, you can call us and we can make the call with or for you.
    A potential resource is Child Help, the National Child Abuse Hotline at 1-800-422-4453 or www.childhelp.org. They can talk to you about your situation and may be able to help you identify resources that may be helpful to you.

We are not legal experts, but we can offer some general information on the legal consequences of running away. The age of majority – the age at which you can legally leave home – is generally 18. Since you are 15, if you run away, your parents can file a runaway report. Running away is not a crime. If you are picked up by the police, they will likely take you back home.

You should also be aware that if you are staying with your friend and the police pick you up there, your friend or your friend’s parents could be charged with harboring a runaway.

The way police address runaway and harboring cases varies from place to place. If you call the non-emergency number of your local police department they may be able to tell you how they handle runaway and harboring cases. Again, if you are not comfortable making the call, you can call us and we can make the call with of for you.
    You can also always contact us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or www.1800runaway.org. We have volunteers available 24/7 to talk with you on a confidential basis and help connect with the resources you need.

We wish you the best!

Guest replied
    I'm considering running away. I'm 15. My parents have belittled me, mocked me, get angry at anything and everything, and sometimes even escalate to violence. They manipulate me and won't let me express emotions or opinions. I have plans to stay with a good friend. Would this be infeasible or a bad idea? I don't think that I can wait until 18 to get out.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We would love to help however we would need more information to further help you. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    We hope to hear from you soon.
    Be safe, NRS

Guest replied
    hi, im alexus and im 13, im very depressed at times and its because i have no one to talk and i feel all alone. Every time i try to express myself to my brother whose 12 just tells or
    threatens me to do something for hem or, he will tell. This would be my 2 time running away if i do run away and i don't want to but i feel like this family is not for me. I cant even turn
    to my own mom because she dose crazy thing, and say mean and hurtful things and my step dad is no better then my mom. Yes they buy me things i want and need but the real
    question is, dose it really emotionally make me feel happy which is, " No" so you do the math and tell me. So is there i program i can stay at untill i turn 18? please i need you help.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod8
    Hello,
    Thank you so much for reaching out. We are very sorry to hear you are struggling living with your biological mom. That must be a really difficult adjustment.
    Here at NRS, we are not legal experts. However, since your biological mom has custody over you now, she has the right to file a runaway report. Since it’s only considered a statues offense and not a crime to run away, the only thing that would happen is that the police will pick you up and bring you back home. If you do make it to your foster parent’s house and there is a runaway report filed, your biological mom might be able to charge your foster parents with harboring a runaway. Harboring a runaway is when that party are not giving accurate information on a runaway’s whereabouts. That could lead to a number of different legal issues such as misdemeanor charges (fines or jail charges). From what we know it isn’t something that typically happens, but it is in place to detour individuals from helping runaway minors from not returning home or lying on a runaway’s behalf. So, these may all be things to keep in mind when planning on leaving your current situation.
    An 18 hour walk or 5 hour bike ride (assuming with stopping and slowing down) sounds like it may be difficult. Having a solid plan about what you are planning on doing it might be a good idea so that you can think about what is reasonably possible for you to do and want isn’t. Factoring in these kinds of thoughts into your overall plan, again can possibly help you in your choice (i.e, how you would stay safe while trying to get back to your foster parents, how your biological mom would react, etc). It's certainly a jump step to make and we want you to be as safe as possible when making your decision.
    Here at NRS we offer conference calling between youth and parents. If you needed help communicating with your biological mom about how you are feeling, we could possibly facilitate a conversation between the two of you. It might be a great way to talk about what you are going through and where this feelings might be coming from or to maybe build on your relationship and make it better. Something constructive so that it certainly opens the lines of communication, but that services is completely up to you.
    If you need any help brainstorming some other options or need any support give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or live chat us on our website to speak with one of our trained crisis line workers. Our Safeline operates 24/7 and is completely confidential. Again, thank you for contacting us, we wish you the best of luck!
    Best wishes,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hey im 14 and my biological mom has just gained custody of me and i dont want to live with her i want to go back to my foster parents but the worst part is she wont even let me have contact with them. Ive googled how far it is walking and it 18 hours away if you ride a bike its 5 if you drive its 1 but im not old enough to drive. Ive already packed my stuff and im ready to walk that 18 hour walk to get away from my mom but before i go i just wanted to make sure nothing would happen to my foster parents by me running back to them. i know its not the smartest idea but im going to go insane without my foster parents ve been with them since i was w

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hello There,
    Thank you for contacting The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to ;isten.
    We are not legal experts but if you were to leave your home without your legal guardian’s permission they do have the right to file a runaway report. So if your father is not your legal guardian you could be filed as a runaway. If the police do find you they most likely would bring you back home.
    We hope this information will be useful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and provide you support. Best of luck!
    NRS

Guest replied
    Im 15 Can i run away to my dad or house even if he is not on my birth certificate

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hello There,
    Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. We are not here to tell you if you should or should not runaway as you know your situation the best.
    We are not legal experts but if you do decide to run away your legal guardian does have the right to file a runaway report. If the police do find you the most likely would bring you back home. You could try and talk with your aunt and uncle about possibly going to stay with your mom.
    We hope this information will be useful for you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. Wee here 24/7 to listen and provide you support. Stay strong!
    NRS

Guest replied
    if i were to run away how should i do it like i need to make some money
    i just miss my mom and i hate always being in trouble i feel like im a
    burden on my aunt and uncle i just want to ho home

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    First of all you never need to apologize to us we are here to listen. It definitely understandable to be stress out right now there is a lot going and it is hard to do it on your own. It is very brave of you to reach out to us and it shows a lot of strength on your part. We are not legal experts but running away is not illegal it is consider a status offense and how every case is handle is different. You mentioned that you have been feeling suicidal lately you can always reach out to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255 there is always someone there you can talk to and they are trained to listen. Have you tried reaching out to a school counselor and discuss what is going on they might have some great local resources that you can use. It is great that you have friend that can support you. Have you tried maybe talking to your friends parents and using them as in-between for you and your parents? Another option that you can use is Child Help which is the National Child Abuse Hotline their number is 1-800-422-4453 abuse is not just physical.
    Remember you are never alone and you can always reach out to us we are here to listen.
    1-800-786-2929 or through live chat.

Guest replied
    I'm 15. I'm thinking about running away, it's not that I completely want to, it's that I need to. My mother has cancer and ever since they stopped really caring about me and I feel like I've been pushed to the side, for example, they don't buy me things I need, like clothes, feminine products, etc, things that parents should do. I would buy them for myself but they wont allow me get a job. it's neglectful to the point that they won't buy me clothes, like I said, and my pants have started cutting my sides. I know I seem selfish, and Im sorry. My parents make me feel stressed out and they yell at me all the time and they verbally and mentally abuse me. I want to run away very badly, but Im also a little scared of what my parents would do. They come up with outrageous punishments like not letting me see or talk to anyone for months at a time when I did something as little as forgetting to do the dishes. They do a lot of things like that, but there's far too many to name, especially here. If I run away Im not sure where I would go. My parents have pushed me to cutting myself and plotting my own suicide so many times. I just can't do it anymore. I'm so depressed and scared all the time, and I can't do anything. They aren't even my real parents, I just call them that. They only have gaurdianship over me. I'm sorry this is strung out, but I really need some help here. Like I said, I want to run away, but I'm afraid. We're also being evicted soon, and we'll be living in an RV. I cant do it. I need help. If I stay here any longer I'll definitely kill myself, theres no doubt. Like I said I don't have a place to stay. I would stay with my friend, but I don't want to get her and her parents in trouble. I also don't want to go back to Foster Care, which seems like the only other option. I just really need some help in deciding if I should run away. My real mother doesn't want me to, but I really think I will. Sorry that this is strung out..

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    Hi there, thanks for reaching out to NRS! Abuse of any kind is never okay and not your fault. Adults in our lives are supposed to be supportive, and it can be really difficult and stressful when that is not the case. It is understandable why you would want to leave. You deserve to be treated in a way that makes you feel supported and taken care of. If you runaway your mom can come pick you up or file a runaway report. If she reports you as a runaway, the police will likely return you home.

We are here 24/7 to listen and help and we want to help you brainstorm your next steps. Please reach out by phone (800-786-2929) or chat with us. We hope to hear from you soon so that we can help.
    -NRS

Guest replied
    hey what do i do my grandma is super abusive and my mom makes fun of me when i cry and i ran away last night she caught me and came too pick me up and i really want to runaway again but idk what to do

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X