X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod15
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are going through some intense stuff and we want to support you. Whether or not you feel like you need to run away is up to you and whether or not you feel safe where you are. We would be happy to help you in whatever way we can. We can provide referrals to mental health resources, shelters, legal advocacy, among other things. We can also just talk you through whatever your situation is and help you figure out what your options are. We aim to empower youths and we prioritize your safety and your well-being. If you are interested in anything that we have to offer, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,

NRS

Guest replied
    I’m 15 and live with my mother who gaslights me and occasionally will hit me and I no longer want to live with her and wish to run away, my dad can’t file for custody since he doesn’t have a bedroom for me, and I have tried all other options of getting away from my mom but this was the only option where I can be free from her, I need advice

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hello,
    Thanks for reaching out to us. We are so sorry that your grandparents and your dad are not welcoming to you. It sounds like you are considering running away and you want some information on possible consequences. We are not legal experts, but we can share some general information.

While it is technically not illegal to run away, it is considered a status offense in some states. If you leave without consent, your parent or legal guardian can file a runaway report with your local police department. Typically, if the local police find you, they return you to your legal guardian or have your legal guardian pick you up. How local police handle runaway reports can vary depending on your local police department, so one option you have to get answers to your specific situation is to reach out to them at their non-emergency number. If you do not know how to reach them, we can help you find their contact information. You do not have to share your personal information to ask questions. If you have any more questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to us.

Whatever you decide, know that we are here to support you. We cannot tell you what to do, but we will do our best to help you stay safe regardless of what you decide. If you would like, we can talk to you about your situation, your options if you choose to leave, call police on your behalf, or facilitate a conference call so that you can speak with them directly. You can reach us 24/7 via phone by calling 1.800.RUNAWAY (786.2929) or via chat by visiting our website www.1800runaway.org . We are here to listen, here to help. Stay safe!

-NRS
    Last edited by ccsmod15; 11-10-2020, 09:58 PM.

Guest replied
    i'm 15 and living in a homophobic house hold were i have told my grandparents that i'm a lesbian but they keep telling me no you aren't but i'm pretty sure i am and i can't live with my Dad cause he said he'd disown me and i've been planning to run away for a while . I don't want to go to jail so i want to know now if i do go through with my plan to runaway what charges will i be facing

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that your friend is faced with right now and you’re wanting to find a way to help them as they mentioned wanting to to run away. It’s great that your friend has support and concern from you especially since this time is quite difficult for them.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    Having a space to vent and explore options may often bring out a solution previously not thought of. We are here as support to help you and your friend through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    We’re here to listen and to help and hope you or your friend can reach out soon.
    Take care,
    NRS

• ccsmod15
    Hello,

You mentioned some things that raise concern for your safety and well-being. If any harm or abuse is happening at home, you have the right to report it. We are not experts on the issue, but generally once it's been reported, social services will either decide whether or not to take the case and further investigate. If they do take the case, they will send out someone from child protective services to do an investigation (interviewing people in the household) and from there they will decide the level of danger within the household. It generally ranges from no danger (the youth stays in the home, some services are given, and the case is closed), moderate danger (they will provide family services with possible temporary displacement) and high danger (they will remove the youth from the home and offer certain services).

If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/. We can also help you to file a report if that’s the route you are considering.

While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I have a friend that really wants to leave home. Her family is messed up and they treat her like she is living in a jail. They don’t give her any privacy they body shame her they don’t let be friends with anyone she can’t even talk to her own family.. now me and her have been making a plan for her to run away from her house and stay in mine.. is there any way that she can live in my house legally?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Im going to runaway because I do not feel safe at home anymore my friends mom is gonna let me stay with them or I have to go to a foster home and I don't wanna go there and I understand the consequences but I have to LEAVE or else im gonna die my mom's a drunk and I don't have a dad so I'm leaving

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. They can tell you more about how CPS could respond to your situation. If you ever need assistance calling out to CPS to make an abuse or neglect report please call is at 1-800-RUNAWAY.
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    hey, i live in New Mexico, i've lived with my father and my step mother for about a year, i was living with my mom before, but i was involved in a lot of illegal activities such as gang affiliation, buying and reselling narcodics, and buuying and reselling firearms. in July of 2019, i picked up some charges for car theft, and possession of stolen firearms, i went to jail and when i got out i went on the run because i thought i wasn't going to be able to beat the case so i "did the race". i got caught and i went to court and i only got probation, after that i started living with my father to try and get away from my gang activity and lifestyle. but the thing is that ive never really known my father most of my life, i was lucky if he came around for the holidays even, this is because he is also involved in gang activity and all the same things i was, but worse cause he's older. but hes been trying to stir away from that lifestyle as well for me. but im 15 years old now and i've done terrible things and i feel like it's to late for him, and i know he's trying his best but he's not parent material, i smoke weed to help me with the ptsd from other things and everytime he finds it, he takes it a way and gets pissed then my step mom has issues as well, she has ptsd, bi-polar disorder, and abandonment issues, every time i get in trouble for something small like the weed or even not doing the dishes, she goes full f****g phyco and so does my dad he starts throwing things at my and kicking and puching things and i am always ready for a fight but i feel like i shouldn't have to fight my dad, even if it means protecting myself. and now about two months ago i was driving a friends car and dammaged the front bumper, i got grounded and had to get a legal job to pay back the damages, im still grounded but this morning they foundout i logged into my social media accounts on my xbox and they started throwing a fit, they don't want me to have contact with anybody incleuding my moms side of the family, but this morning they woke me up off the ccouch and started argeuing with me emedietly, then my step mom goes into my closet and takes several valuble items that are worth over $500 and im trying to get the box from her and ive never ever even touched this lady before, never even given her a high five or a hug, but when she went for my most expensive items i have ( they're legal items, not guns or drugs) i went at her trying to get them, i wasnt just gonna let her take them, because she said she was going to sell them and she knows i care about them, then she pushed me into a dresser and then my dad tackled me and held me on the ground and then he was trying to fight me, i hate it here and i would rather still be living with my mom and get shot because of gang affiliation than be here, i have all my clothes packed and ready to go, now i just need to fill up a bag full of food, i have about $25 in my wallet and $10 in quarters to wash my clothes at the laundry mat for a while.
    Last edited by ccsmod15; 11-05-2020, 11:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod3
    I’m 15 thinking/planning about running, life’s breaking apart after my parents divorced my mom has gotten more abuse full to me and my dad who still supports us for the last 3 years after the divorce has started verbal abusing me and a little physical abuse I’m not happy, I can’t smile my dad has only gotten madder after trying to put up 4,000$ for my braces after I failed to understand the consequences of not putting on my retainer for a long time, the verbal abuse has gotten bad and I feel worthless my dad is truly a great man and patient and for me to get him this mad, I feel shame that I couldn’t help him in anyway that I don’t have the best grades he wants, that I’m not taking care of myself like he wants me to and it hurts to know that I’m worthless, I believe if I runaway I can get away from my semi abusing mom and let my dad use his cash more on my 2 sisters and mom then me, i don’t know what could happen if I run away I can’t go to friend's they all know my mom and I would be returned, I can probably steal 200$-400$ My phone and charger and some cloths and after that take a Uber off my dads Debit and go to the nearest train and just keep going, I don’t eat much so I’ll need a 2 water bottle a day and 1 piece of bread a day and my birthday is May 26 I’ll turn 16 I could get some sort of job and sleep on the streets until I could buy a plain ticket to maybe a different country or Japan I don’t know much about Japan but I would probably work in one of those you work and you get food and a roof over your head jobs.....I just felt like saying a sad part of my life
    -----

Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline and sharing this difficult part of your life with us. It takes a lot to reach out for support and be so vulnerable, and I commend you for doing so.

It sounds like you've experienced a lot of changes recently, but please know that verbal and/or physical abuse is never okay, and you don't deserve to be treated that way. If you're feeling unsafe at home and need immediate help or safety, you can visit Safe Place by going to nationalsafeplace.org/find-a-safe-place. This is a tool that allows you to type in your zip code and be provided with a list of Safe Place sites nearby. A member from Safe Place will meet with you at that location, transport you to the local agency, and a counselor will provide you and your family with any help or professional services that you might need. Contacting Child Protective Services in your state is also an option if you're feeling unsafe at home. If you want to make a report but need a little support in doing so, consider reaching out to someone you're comfortable talking to--maybe a teacher or a counselor. We can also assist you with filing a report at NRS.

You mentioned running away in your post, and it does seem like you've given some thought to it. It's definitely a good idea to try and have a plan in place when thinking about running away. If you're worried about your mom finding you at a friend's house and making you come home, it might be a good idea for you to see if there are any other places where you feel comfortable that you can stay at AND that she'd agree to. If that doesn't pan out, you may be able to locate an emergency youth shelter in your area. Here's a good resource of homeless shelters across the country: https://www.homelessshelterdirectory.org.

It's also important to remind yourself that it's okay to feel sad, especially when dealing with so much at once. Often times, having someone to talk to about those feelings of sadness can be helpful. We're here for you at NRS. If you'd like to talk more about what's going on or explore more options, please feel free to reach out to us at 1-800-RUNAWAY or through our live chat at 1800runaway.org. We're available 24/7, and always happy to help.

Take care,

NRS

Guest replied
    I’m 15 thinking/planning about running, life’s breaking apart after my parents divorced my mom has gotten more abuse full to me and my dad who still supports us for the last 3 years after the divorce has started verbal abusing me and a little physical abuse I’m not happy, I can’t smile my dad has only gotten madder after trying to put up 4,000$ for my braces after I failed to understand the consequences of not putting on my retainer for a long time, the verbal abuse has gotten bad and I feel worthless my dad is truly a great man and patient and for me to get him this mad, I feel shame that I couldn’t help him in anyway that I don’t have the best grades he wants, that I’m not taking care of myself like he wants me to and it hurts to know that I’m worthless, I believe if I runaway I can get away from my semi abusing mom and let my dad use his cash more on my 2 sisters and mom then me, i don’t know what could happen if I run away I can’t go to friend's they all know my mom and I would be returned, I can probably steal 200$-400$ My phone and charger and some cloths and after that take a Uber off my dads Debit and go to the nearest train and just keep going, I don’t eat much so I’ll need a 2 water bottle a day and 1 piece of bread a day and my birthday is May 26 I’ll turn 16 I could get some sort of job and sleep on the streets until I could buy a plain ticket to maybe a different country or Japan I don’t know much about Japan but I would probably work in one of those you work and you get food and a roof over your head jobs.....I just felt like saying a sad part of my life

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out, we know that it takes a lot of courage. We aren’t legal experts here at NRS, but generally speaking, if a minor does opt to leave their home, their parents can file a runaway report, which is essentially a missing person report. Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor. If a runaway report is filed and they are located by the authorities, they will most likely be returned home. If the 15-year-old is a habitual runaway or is chronically truant from school then their parents can file a petition for a Child in Need of Supervision through the courts. If a petition is filed and the youth runs away again, then they could face a range of consequences ranging from community services to juvenile detention.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
    NRS

We'd love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to support youth and families. Please click the link below to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Guest replied
    If someone age 15 keeps running away and they didn't want to reside with whatever parent are they allowed to get a state paid for apartment or forced to go to a foster home or are they forced to juvenile charges. Curious for state of Virginia on present and past.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    Hello,
    Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.
    NRS is here to listen and here to help.
    We would be glad to speak with you about strategies or options that might help you to cope better with your situation.
    We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more about your situation and we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

You did a wonderful job reaching out today. Good for you.
    If you are feeling depressed or suicidal we encourage you to contact the National Suicide prevention lifeline at 1-800-273-8255

Take care,
    NRS
Working...
X