X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod3
    commented on Guest's reply
    Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are in a difficult situation, and we understand it takes courage to reach out for help. The National Runaway Safeline is located in the United States of America (USA). Our knowledge of helpful community based resources and our understanding of youth in crisis related laws is limited to the USA. If you are located in a country outside of the USA, you can use this link to find a youth helpline in or around your country: https://www.childhelplineinternation...pline-network/.
    We hope that by reaching out to a local resource, you are able to get the support you need from an organization that understands the laws and circumstances that affect youth in your country. Best of luck!
    Last edited by ccsmod3; 05-11-2020, 07:07 AM.

• ccsmod0
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    The easiest way to leave home is with your parents' permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Please click the link below to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Guest replied
    I've been wanting to run away for 3 years now and I know I have places to stay but I don't know if I should do it

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I'm getting taken away from my foster family to go back to living with my parents and I decided I am not going to after years of mental neglect that the court couldn't see. I am 14 and I am planing on fleeing to another country once I have all my costs planned out and funded, I plan to stay there till 18 I am just concerned about what charges will I have once I am 18? Located in Australia

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. We aren’t legal experts here at NRS, but generally speaking, if you do opt to leave your home your parents (or whoever your legal guardian is) can file a runaway report, which is essentially a missing person report. Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor. If a runaway report is filed and you are located by the authorities you will most likely be returned home. Generally speaking, there is no kind of charge or formal legal repercussion for running away. If you are currently on parole or probation then there may be more serious consequences. If this is the case you may want to speak with your PO directly.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

We'd love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to support youth and families. Please click the link below to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Stay safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi, I live in Kentucky and I want to run away and never come back if I run away for the fifth time what will happen to me if they find me? This would be my fifth time running away

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us here at NRS. It was very brave of you to share a bit about your situation and to ask for help. You deserve to be treated with respect and to feel cared for. If you are not feeling safe at home, we do encourage you to take whatever steps necessary to feel safe again.

If you leave home without permission, your parents or guardians can report you as a runaway to the police. This is not illegal, so while you would not get into any legal trouble your parents can ask the police to return you home.

We truly want to be a support for you as you decide on your next steps. We are available 24/7 to listen and help as much as possible. Please do not hesitate to reach out again by phone or chat if you would like to talk more in-depth about your situation and explore your options. You can contact us by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat services at www.1800runaway.org.

Stay safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    i have been planning to runaway but it's to dangerous.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Thanks for your question. It's hard to say exactly what would happen in that situation, but our understanding is that if your parents demand that you return home, you are required to do that. But there may be extenuating circumstances in some situations.

We'd like to help out further but need a little more information from you to see how to assist. The best way to do that would be if you give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat with us via the portal at www.1800runaway.org. Please be safe. We hope to hear from you soon!

Guest replied
    if you refuse to go home once found can your parents still take u home.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    Thank you for contacting National Runaway Safeline. We understand you are going
    through a really rough situation and we appreciate you reaching out to us. From
    what we understand you mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18
    The easiest way to leave home is with your parents permission. We understand
    that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative,
    or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you.
    Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Be safe,

NRS

Guest replied
    hey, am a 15 year old girl i've been planing to run away a long time ago, but i feel its a bad idea. My mother is treating me like another human being. I usually cry almost every single day.please i need help

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us here at NRS. It was very brave of you to share a bit about your situation and to ask for help. You deserve to be treated with respect and to feel cared for. If you are not feeling safe at home, we do encourage you to take whatever steps necessary to feel safe again.

If you leave home without permission, your parents or guardians can report you as a runaway to the police. This is not illegal, so while you would not get into any legal trouble your parents can ask the police to return you home.

You always have the option to tell the police that you left home because you did not feel safe. You can also make a report directly to child protective services. If you would like to learn more about this process and how to make a report, you can contact an advocate at Child help, 1-800-422-4453 childhelp.org.

We truly want to be a support for you as you decide on your next steps. We are available 24/7 to listen and help as much as possible. Please do not hesitate to reach out again by phone or chat if you would like to talk more in-depth about your situation and explore your options. You can contact us by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat services at www.1800runaway.org.

Stay safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hello, I’m 15 and I life in an environment where I feel unsafe and neglected. I have plans to stay with a friend until the situation de-escalates. I’ll be safer than in my current living space. Do I have a right to stay away for a few days or can they force me to come back?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    Hi there,

Thank you for posting on our bulletin and sharing a bit about your situation with us. It sounds like your mom and step-dad have been making home feel dangerous and you feel as though leaving is your safest option.Making the decision to leave is not always easy, but we want you to know that we are here as a support for you.

If you do not feel safe at home, we encourage you to take necessary steps to keep yourself safe. A helpful start would be to reach out to friends or family members you can stay with. A safe place to stay and a support system are very important during difficult situations. Perhaps someone you reach out to might also be able to advocate on your behalf and help to convince your mom to give her permission for you to stay somewhere else.

You always have the option to make another report to child protective services or police. It is incredibly disappointing and disheartening they have not intervened to help previously, but hopefully they will step up now if you decide to make another report.

Stay strong and stay safe,
    NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X