No announcement yet.

What are the consequences of a 15 year old running away

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i havent really been the best daughter, but theres no communication in my family at all.. i turn 15 next month and i have severe depression... ive tried going it my parents and my older brother for help but they dont understand. i have a boyfriend with whom i made a mistake with and i admit i made a mistake because i kept him hidden from my family . for that i lost my phone and like freedom.. not that i had any to begin with. i havent had my phone in over 2 months yet im still responsible pi have straight A's and im stressed for an ap exam in less than 3 days . my brother is almost 20 and he cried which he normally doesnt just 3 days ago while he begged my mom to love us . she doesnt understand how we fell. we feel emotionally and mentally alone and we cant talk to eachother either. i asked him what he would do if i ran away and he called me stupid and told me to go to sleep and just study for the ap test... my boyfriend informed his parents and they were so kind and great about it. they said i could stay at there house and live under their roof for as long as i needed. i tried talking to my mom one last time and she said if i ever run away.. i'd be dead to her and i could never set foot in this house again. my boyfriends parents said that if it came down to it... they will become my legal guardians because they dont want me to feel as sad as i am. ive been depresssed for over a year and ive tried numerous times to ..end... it.... but i managed to pull through and keep breathing.. and now i feel like if i dont go and i dont feel okay.... my only other option would be suicide if i want to get rid of this feeling. people say im mature for my age and i never know if i should take that as a compliment or not... but i really just want to feel happy. i know if they file a report.... ill get into serious trouble.. as well as my boyfriends parents but they'll treat me like their own and thats all i want. his mom understands me completely and thats all i want. another thing thats conflicting me is my race. im indian and this isnt typical. shes picking me up tmrw morning and she said she would talk to my mom eventually... what should i do

Comment

• ccsmod8
      ccsmod8 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello there –

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline on our public forum. Hopefully by helping you during your crisis, there are many other that can read this thread and find help themselves. We are mainly here for support and help find some guidance to local resources that might be able to help a youth through their particular situation and we aren’t here to tell you what to do because you know your situation a lot better than we do. We just want you to have a place to talk and whatever you choose that you’re safe and not on the streets.

We do want to say that it must be very hard for you to have to go through all of this. It sounds like a very stressful situation for you at home and you find it hard to cope with certain things. You shouldn't be afraid to tell other people what you are thinking about doing especially if you are thinking about hurting yourself. You are certainly not alone in this and there are many many people that are here to help you. Since you stated that sometimes your thoughts drift towards suicide, a good resource might be to call the ‘National Suicide Hotline’ for someone to talk about what thoughts you might be thinking at the time. Their number is 800.273.TALK. They also have an online chat service that might be of help to you especially if you don’t feel like calling in (https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/). There is also “NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness)” that you can reach out to as well (https://www.nami.org/help).

It’s hard to talk to just anyone one about what has been going on. Now we do offer a service that is basically a Conference Call where the parent/guardian, the youth, and us would be on the phone talking about what has been going on. This way there can be a mediator in between keeping things calm and productive. If you’d feel more comfortable with doing that, just know that it’s always available. It might be a great way to talk about what you are going through and where this feelings might be coming from or to maybe build on your relationship and make it better. So maybe that might be an option for you and your mother. Something constructive so that it certainly opens the lines of communication, but that services is completely up to you.

Since moving out under the age of 18 years old is such a common question that we get and can be easily found on this thread, we aren’t going to get into what would happen if you left without permission from your legal guardian. If you have some specific questions that you want to ask us or maybe find a place to vent about what you are feeling right now you can reach out to us via our 24-hour hotline and online chat. We hope to hear from you!

• I hate my family, I want to run away but idk where to go

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are going through some intense stuff with your family and we want to support you. Whether or not you feel like you need to run away is up to you and whether or not you feel safe where you are. We would be happy to help you in whatever way we can. We can provide referrals to mental health resources, shelters, legal advocacy, among other things. We can also just talk you through whatever your situation is and help you figure out what your options are. We aim to empower youths and we prioritize their safety and their well-being. If you are interested in anything that we have to offer, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
      NRS

• im from new zealand and want to run awayi hate it here and i hate being at home my mum breeds cats and dogs and its so embrassing and i wanna run away so bad i think if i save enough money get a job and save im going to make a emergency account if i ever end up running away but would i be able to make it on a plane to americabecause new zealands so small. im havingsucidal thoughts but those arent new to me im sick of school and have lost most of myfriends i feel so alone and like i have noone and i domt want to talk to anyone about it because it wont help ive tried conselling but i didnt worrk because it will never change the truth im a 15 yr old girl toyou rcekon iget caught if i ran away and changed my hair style clothes style and skin to a tanner colour so i seemed unnoticeable
    ive never been diagnosed but i feel like im depresse di havent felt happy in two years i feel so empty and i gothruthese peroids ofnumbness ijust wanna hide from the world i dont nessacary want to die but i dont want to exist i wouldnt care if someone took my life id probably be glad i feel so alone and my mum just mocked me whenshe found out i was sucidal because hse found my diary and said "look at me and my sons dead but you dont see me going oh im going to kill myself "
    and ive never even said that to her i honestly just want to change my hairstyle style and clothese style id probably die my hair brown or black and get a fringe but id go to a salon and saymy names lee carson ijust dont have enoough money and i want to run away so badly
    Last edited by ccsmod0; 05-26-2020, 03:17 AM.

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now. It sounds like you’re fearing that the situation may end in suicide if things don’t change. Your safety and well-being is important.
      Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. This may be an isolating and lonely time for you, but you are not alone in this. The National Runaway Safeline is located in the United States of America (USA). Our knowledge of helpful community based resources and our understanding of youth in crisis related laws is limited to the USA. If you are located in a country outside of the USA, you can use this link to find a youth helpline in or around your country: https://www.childhelplineinternation...pline-network/. We hope that by reaching out to a local resource, you are able to get the support you need from an organization that understands the laws and circumstances that affect youth in your country.

Be safe and stay strong,
      NRS

Please click the link below to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

• I’m am 13 turning 14 year old Canadian and me and my friend has Been planning on running away to America we have lots of friends there and lots of people to go to we have wanted to run away for 2 years now and we don’t know when the time will come but I hope it comes fast we have also been saving up money so that when we have enough we can fly to America on a plane but we don’t know wen to leave and now that covid-19 is here all the borders are closed but that’s ok because we still need money

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are in a difficult situation, and we understand it takes courage to reach out for help. The National Runaway Safeline is located in the United States of America (USA). Our knowledge of helpful community based resources and our understanding of youth in crisis related laws is limited to the USA. Since you are in Canada you can use this link to find a youth helpline in or around your country: https://www.childhelplineinternation...pline-network/.

We hope that by reaching out to a local resource, you are able to get the support you need from an organization that understands the laws and circumstances that affect youth in your country.

• Hi I’m 15 and want to leave from my house I live with only mom and sister and she recently found out i’m lesbian and she practically disowned me and prohibited me from ever seeing my girlfriend again i hate being here she made my life so much more miserable I wanna know what would happen if i leave to my girlfriends parents house and they take charge of me like they offered to give me everything i need in a home?

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there thanks for reaching out to NRS,
      It seems like you have been through a lot since your mom found out that you are lesbian. It’s tough that someone who is supposed to support you and come from a place of unconditional love is acting that way and that you are suffering for it. You deserve to have support from family and have room to explore those feelings in a safe way.
      If you were to leave without permission from your mom to go to your girlfriend’s house your mom could file a runaway report. This is a status offence so police would be able to try and find you and make you go home to your mom. There is also a chance that your girlfriend’s parents would be faced with a harboring a runaway charge.
      There are some LGBT-based resources we would like to bring to your attention as unfortunately many others have been in similar situations. There is the National LGBT Hotline at glbthotline.org for general help. Another good resource if things seem hopeless is the Trevor Project at 1-866-488-7386. Last is the LGBT National Youth Talkline at 1-800-246-7743.
      Hopefully this information and options helps to clear things up for you. If you need someone to talk with you can also reach out to our hotline at 1-800-786-2929 or use our online chat at 1800runaway.org.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X