Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    i have been planning to runaway but it's to dangerous.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    commented on Guest's reply
    Thanks for your question. It's hard to say exactly what would happen in that situation, but our understanding is that if your parents demand that you return home, you are required to do that. But there may be extenuating circumstances in some situations.

We'd like to help out further but need a little more information from you to see how to assist. The best way to do that would be if you give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat with us via the portal at www.1800runaway.org. Please be safe. We hope to hear from you soon!

Guest replied
    if you refuse to go home once found can your parents still take u home.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    Thank you for contacting National Runaway Safeline. We understand you are going
    through a really rough situation and we appreciate you reaching out to us. From
    what we understand you mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18
    The easiest way to leave home is with your parents permission. We understand
    that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative,
    or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you.
    Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Be safe,

NRS

Guest replied
    hey, am a 15 year old girl i've been planing to run away a long time ago, but i feel its a bad idea. My mother is treating me like another human being. I usually cry almost every single day.please i need help

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us here at NRS. It was very brave of you to share a bit about your situation and to ask for help. You deserve to be treated with respect and to feel cared for. If you are not feeling safe at home, we do encourage you to take whatever steps necessary to feel safe again.

If you leave home without permission, your parents or guardians can report you as a runaway to the police. This is not illegal, so while you would not get into any legal trouble your parents can ask the police to return you home.

You always have the option to tell the police that you left home because you did not feel safe. You can also make a report directly to child protective services. If you would like to learn more about this process and how to make a report, you can contact an advocate at Child help, 1-800-422-4453 childhelp.org.

We truly want to be a support for you as you decide on your next steps. We are available 24/7 to listen and help as much as possible. Please do not hesitate to reach out again by phone or chat if you would like to talk more in-depth about your situation and explore your options. You can contact us by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat services at www.1800runaway.org.

Stay safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hello, I’m 15 and I life in an environment where I feel unsafe and neglected. I have plans to stay with a friend until the situation de-escalates. I’ll be safer than in my current living space. Do I have a right to stay away for a few days or can they force me to come back?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    Hi there,

Thank you for posting on our bulletin and sharing a bit about your situation with us. It sounds like your mom and step-dad have been making home feel dangerous and you feel as though leaving is your safest option.Making the decision to leave is not always easy, but we want you to know that we are here as a support for you.

If you do not feel safe at home, we encourage you to take necessary steps to keep yourself safe. A helpful start would be to reach out to friends or family members you can stay with. A safe place to stay and a support system are very important during difficult situations. Perhaps someone you reach out to might also be able to advocate on your behalf and help to convince your mom to give her permission for you to stay somewhere else.

You always have the option to make another report to child protective services or police. It is incredibly disappointing and disheartening they have not intervened to help previously, but hopefully they will step up now if you decide to make another report.

We truly want to be a support for you as you decide on your next steps. We are available 24/7 to listen and help as much as possible. Please do not hesitate to reach out again by phone or chat if you would like to talk more in-depth about your situation and explore your options. You can contact us by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat services at www.1800runaway.org.

Stay strong and stay safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I’ve been wanting to leave my home for longer than I can remember. My stepdad would hit me and my mom would turn a blind eye and when I would report it I had no way to prove that he did hit me. My mom is two different people, she takes my stepdads side every time and when he’s gone she complains about him being mean. I hate being called racist names and emotionally abused and put down. I wanna run away and I will do everything I can to make that happen, my house isn’t the safest place for me right now.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).
    We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. If you’re feeling unsafe and need a safe place to go and talk to someone, you may wish to visit The National Safeplace website (www.nationalsafeplace.org). This organization provides access to immediate help and supportive resources for youth in need. You can look up your city and state to see if there are any safe places near you listed. So that is always an option if you feel like talking to someone in person about what has been going on or if you just need a safe place to stay.

You also may use your phone to text the word “safe” and your current location (city/state/zip) to 44357. If there are safe places and shelters nearby, a list of those will be sent to your phone and you may have the option to text back and forth with a trained counselor as well.

Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Im a 14 kid from California, but I'm soon going to 15. My home life is horrible, my stepdad is horrible and my mom always sides with him. I want to runaway or go to a youth group home or shelter. I don't want to press charges against anyone, because I don't want my brother to be taken away from them. I'm an LGBT youth and im not sure who to contact or what to do, except leave my house for a while.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod5
    Hi there,
    Thanks for reaching out to us and explaining a bit about your situation. We are open 24/7, always here to listen and help in any way we can.

We are so sorry that your family have been mistreating you at home. It sounds like you’re in a lot of pain there and that it’s becoming too stressful. It makes sense that you feel like you need to get out of that environment. Your life matters and your safety is very important to us. If you feel like getting out of the house is your best option, we are here for you. It’s not something you can be arrested for but if the police find you then they would most likely return you home. If you stay a runaway until you turn 18, then the runaway report will go away. If you do decide to go with that option, please give us a call or chat with us so we can make sure you stay safe. It’s understandable that school is something that’s concerning for you. There are laws in place that protect the educational rights of runaway and homeless youth. Please call or chat with us we can also can look to see if there’s any runaway shelters in your area.

We are also able to do conference calls with youth and CPS, if you wanted to report any abuse.

Again, thanks for reaching out to us. Please give us a call or chat with us on our website. We are open 24/7 and always here for you.

Stay safe, NRS

Guest replied
    im 15 i turn 16 july 22, i really need to get away from my family, all my life my dad has been an asshole and put me through mental abuse, my grandma shows favoritism towards my sister everyday and treats me like ********, for a very long time i have been planing on running away since i was 6 i am very impatient and i want to leave now, but i don't have a car and i don't know where im going to go and i wanted to know if i run away now and the police look for me, when i turn 18 will it matter where im at? and i don't know what to do about school.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod3
    Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. 18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. However, in that case there may be services (family counseling, etc.) available to you as a youth in crisis/runaway but again, police procedures related to offering those services can be different based on your location or the details of your situation. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. One way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth.

If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    We hope to hear from you soon.

Guest replied
    I don’t know what to write here but my parents and I got into a huge fight and I’m thinking about running away what should I do

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X