Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    hey well i'm not sure what to do and i need advice. It's that i'm moving and i wanted to ask my parents if i could have permission to live with my girlfriend. My girlfriends parents said it was ok if i lived with them but only if i got permission from my parents. and i don't know what to do i need some advice

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hi, thanks for posting today. It sounds like you are in a really rough situation and may even be unsafe at home with your dad and grandparents.
    We are here to help the best we can!
    We are not legal experts, but generally, if you leave home before age 18 in most states, your parents can file you as a runaway. This is not a crime but if the police do find you, they may try to return you back home. However, you did mention being abused. If you tell the police that, they would likely involve child protection services to make sure you are safe. We can also help you make an abuse report if that is something you are interested in: 1-800-786-2929.
    Additionally, Child Help can help better define abuse, provide info, and be the first step in filing a report if you want more info: 1-800-422-4453, childhelp.org.

We are here 24/7 so please reach out if there is anything else we can help with or if you want to talk more about your situation.
    You have shown a lot of strength in posting today.

Best of luck!

Guest replied
    im 15 and i want to runaway. my father hasn’t been there for me at all and my mother was recently arrested . my mother knows my situation with my father & grandparents but she still wants me to go over there . ive been mentally, physically & emotionally abused to the point where i dont think i can take much more. it is so uncomfortable being with my father & grandparents.. i have a friend who’s house i could go to & be well taken care of , her house is right by our school as well. if i runaway & my grandparents file a runaway report on me what would happen ? how do i get out of this situation.. how do i get to the point where i can live with the friend & provide for myself ? what happens if i am caught ? what happens if im not ?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    Hello there thanks so much for reaching out today. Sounds like living with your mom's boyfriend is taking a major toll on you and you are wanting to move out at 16. You seem very responsible and it makes sense that you want to live in a supportive environment. We are not legal experts but we can speak generally about runaway laws, and we truly want to inform you and be there for you during this difficult time.

You mentioned that your mom has told you that you can go. The easiest way you can leave home at 16 is with your parent's permission. However, permission is not legally binding so if your mom told you that you can leave during a big fight once but now does not want you to go, she can go back on that permission. You might try to include a trusted adult in on that difficult conversation with your mom such as your dad or your girlfriend's mom or someone who can get through to your mom. If you have a good relationship with your dad and he has any custody rights over you, you might reach out to him to see how he can help.

18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. If you leave home without permission, your mom may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. So it is possible that your girlfriend or her mom could be at risk of harboring. One way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth.

You mentioned experiencing emotional abuse which may be reportable against your mom. Please keep in mind you by no means deserve any type of abuse, emotional or otherwise. Unfortunately, emotional abuse is often harder to provide evidence for compared to physical abuse which is often what CPS relies on when conducting an abuse investigation. That said, we can’t be 100% sure what the outcome will be if your local CPS decides to open a case based on what you share. Sometimes CPS decides to remove minors from the home and other times they offer services such as family counseling or mediation instead. The only way to know the outcome might be to reach out to them directly and if you’re ready to do that we are here to help you through that process. Reaching out to Child Help USA at 1-800-422-4453 or www.childhelp.org may help to get a better understanding of what may happen before and after a report is made.

We hope this helps. Please reach out if we can offer any further support.

Be safe,

NRS

Guest replied
    So I'm 16 and wanna leave home.. I hate my mom's boyfriend we live with, my sister's live with their dad already because they don't like him either. He tries to disilpne me and not his own kids he turns my mom against me and they just emotionally abuse me so much to the point I can't even be in the same room as them. I have a job make my own money and pay for my own phone. My girlfriend and her mom both said it was fine for me to move in with them so I wanna take the offer and leave and when me and my mom got into a big fight she told me I can. So what would happen if I did? Could the police force me home because if they did I'm scared of what would happen.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hi there, it sounds like you’re going through a really difficult time right now. We’re sorry to hear your father doesn’t want you and your mother and you are fighting. You have the right to feel safe and wanted at home! You mentioned that you are planning on running away with a friend.
    Just to let you know, we are not legal experts. Technically it’s not against the law for you to run away from home, in most places it’s considered a ‘status offense’. However, anyone you are caught running away with could possibly be charged with ‘harboring a runaway’ should your parent or legal guardian decide to call the police and report you missing. It might be a good idea to talk to your friend about this risk. Nothing is 100% guaranteed, if you wanted to call and talk to us we can help you come up with some options. The National Safe Place at https://www.nationalsafeplace.org/ is another great resource if you need a safe place to stay in an emergency.
    You also mentioned killing yourself. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255 is also here for you if you wanted to talk to them about what you are going through. Please give us a call so we can help you make a safe plan for what to do next.
    Please remember that we are here 24/7 and are always here to support you any way we can.

Guest replied
    Hey. I'm 15 my mom makes me so mad n I want to Kill myself sometime n my dad doesn't want me. I'm planning on leavin wif a friend n runnin away. Is it 100% dat they will find me ?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    replied
    Reply: I am 15 in Lancaste, Ohio

Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. You don’t deserve to be put in a position to feel bad you father.
    It sounds like it has been frustrating for you and you have good reason to be upset.
    As of right now you’re feeling like leaving to go stay with a friend in their home and would like to know what might happen if they pick you up?

While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway.
    It’s good that you have someone to listen and be supportive, if you do not stay with your boyfriend perhaps there is a family member willing to step in and be supportive.
    We understand what a difficult time this must be for you and we want you to know that we are here to listen and here to help. If you would like to talk more about your situation, please give NRS a call or live chat. You can reach us at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or www.1800Runaway.ore (Live chat).
    We hope that things change for the better.

Take care,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I am 15 in Lancaster Ohio I want to leave my dad makes me feel horrible all the time and always lies on me to please my stepmom he treats me bad when no one is around but when I try to tell someone's he tells them that's I am lying or that it is my fault he is nice to everyone else except for me and I know it seems like a lot of teens says that but even my family member states have said that too if I my boyfriend and his mom pick me up and let me stay with them then what would happen?
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 08-28-2018, 03:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    Hi, thank you so much for reaching out. This can be a really hard thing to consider, and we’re here to help. We’re not legal experts, but we can speak in generalities. In most states, the age of majority is 18, and even at 16 you would be considered a minor. If you left home as a minor that would typically be considered a status offense. What this means is that if your parents filed a runaway report, and the police found you, they would likely bring you back home. If, for some reason, your home isn’t a safe place for you to be and you told the police that, they should open an investigation and bring you to a safe place instead.

You said you have some places to stay, so it’s great that you’ve already started thinking about how to stay safe. If you do decide to leave, there’s a lot to consider when it comes to your safety, including what you’ll bring, how you’ll support yourself and have enough money for basic needs like food, and how long you can stay with the person you’re going to stay with. If you ever want help thinking through how you can stay safe, or how you could cope with being in your home, we’re available 24/7. Feel free to reach out to our hotline any time at 1-800-Runaway.

Guest replied
    Im 15 and my birthday is in a month. I was planning on leaving when I turn 16 but I can’t take my family anymore. I have a few places I could stay. What would happen if I were to leave now even tho my birthday is in a month?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod11
    Hi

Thanks so much for reaching out! It sounds like living at home is pretty tough right now. In situations like these it can be helpful to talk with someone you trust like a relative or neighbor. It can help to have extra support and someone to talk over options with.
    Your safety is always our first concern. You have the option to file an abuse report against your father and his girlfriend as they are potentially putting you in danger by engaging in illegal activities. If you want to pursue that option we can help you file an abuse report, you can give us a call 800-786-2929 or reach out via chat to do that. It would make it more likely that Child Protective Services would remove you from the home. Your dad and his girlfriend may also face charges.

If you were to leave home without your dad’s permission they could file a runaway report with the police, which they may or may not do considering that they are participating in illegal activities. Also, if you were to stay with the ex-girlfriend and she is over 18 years-old, your dad could press charges against her for harboring a runaway, if he was willing to reach out to the police.

Thank you again for getting in touch, it was a very brave thing to do. We are available 24/7, so please don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions or need to talk. Best of luck to you.

-NRS

Guest replied
    Hey. I’m 15. I live with my pap and his new girlfriend and his new girlfriends son. They have drug past. They sell pills on the house and everything. Now his son has an ex girlfriend that I met and she has 3 kids and a healthy safe home. I want to run away to her house. Can I do that without getting in trouble or getting forced to go back

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are in a difficult situation, and we understand it takes courage to reach out for help. The National Runaway Safeline is located in the United States of America (USA). Our knowledge of helpful community based resources and our understanding of youth in crisis related laws is limited to the USA. If you are located in a country outside of the USA, you can use this link to find a youth helpline in or around your country: https://www.childhelplineinternation...pline-network/.
    We hope that by reaching out to a local resource, you are able to get the support you need from an organization that understands the laws and circumstances that affect youth in your country.
    Best
    NRS
    Last edited by ccsmod15; 07-28-2018, 10:08 AM.

Guest replied
    im 14 and also im indonesian. r running away from home illegal for me?

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X