Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    I am 15 in Lancaster Ohio I want to leave my dad makes me feel horrible all the time and always lies on me to please my stepmom he treats me bad when no one is around but when I try to tell someone's he tells them that's I am lying or that it is my fault he is nice to everyone else except for me and I know it seems like a lot of teens says that but even my family member states have said that too if I my boyfriend and his mom pick me up and let me stay with them then what would happen?
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 08-28-2018, 03:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hi, thank you so much for reaching out. This can be a really hard thing to consider, and we’re here to help. We’re not legal experts, but we can speak in generalities. In most states, the age of majority is 18, and even at 16 you would be considered a minor. If you left home as a minor that would typically be considered a status offense. What this means is that if your parents filed a runaway report, and the police found you, they would likely bring you back home. If, for some reason, your home isn’t a safe place for you to be and you told the police that, they should open an investigation and bring you to a safe place instead.

You said you have some places to stay, so it’s great that you’ve already started thinking about how to stay safe. If you do decide to leave, there’s a lot to consider when it comes to your safety, including what you’ll bring, how you’ll support yourself and have enough money for basic needs like food, and how long you can stay with the person you’re going to stay with. If you ever want help thinking through how you can stay safe, or how you could cope with being in your home, we’re available 24/7. Feel free to reach out to our hotline any time at 1-800-Runaway.

Guest replied
    Im 15 and my birthday is in a month. I was planning on leaving when I turn 16 but I can’t take my family anymore. I have a few places I could stay. What would happen if I were to leave now even tho my birthday is in a month?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod11
    Hi

Thanks so much for reaching out! It sounds like living at home is pretty tough right now. In situations like these it can be helpful to talk with someone you trust like a relative or neighbor. It can help to have extra support and someone to talk over options with.
    Your safety is always our first concern. You have the option to file an abuse report against your father and his girlfriend as they are potentially putting you in danger by engaging in illegal activities. If you want to pursue that option we can help you file an abuse report, you can give us a call 800-786-2929 or reach out via chat to do that. It would make it more likely that Child Protective Services would remove you from the home. Your dad and his girlfriend may also face charges.

If you were to leave home without your dad’s permission they could file a runaway report with the police, which they may or may not do considering that they are participating in illegal activities. Also, if you were to stay with the ex-girlfriend and she is over 18 years-old, your dad could press charges against her for harboring a runaway, if he was willing to reach out to the police.

Thank you again for getting in touch, it was a very brave thing to do. We are available 24/7, so please don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions or need to talk. Best of luck to you.

-NRS

Guest replied
    Hey. I’m 15. I live with my pap and his new girlfriend and his new girlfriends son. They have drug past. They sell pills on the house and everything. Now his son has an ex girlfriend that I met and she has 3 kids and a healthy safe home. I want to run away to her house. Can I do that without getting in trouble or getting forced to go back

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are in a difficult situation, and we understand it takes courage to reach out for help. The National Runaway Safeline is located in the United States of America (USA). Our knowledge of helpful community based resources and our understanding of youth in crisis related laws is limited to the USA. If you are located in a country outside of the USA, you can use this link to find a youth helpline in or around your country: https://www.childhelplineinternation...pline-network/.
    We hope that by reaching out to a local resource, you are able to get the support you need from an organization that understands the laws and circumstances that affect youth in your country.
    Best
    NRS
    Last edited by ccsmod15; 07-28-2018, 10:08 AM.

Guest replied
    im 14 and also im indonesian. r running away from home illegal for me?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod11
    Hello,

First, thanks for reaching out to us and sharing your situation. We are sorry to hear this is such a tough time for you and that you experienced abuse in the past. We respect that you don’t want to go back to a situation that was harmful to you. But you do have options and we are here to explore these with you.

First, just so you know, if you do leave home without permission anyone you stay with could be accused of harboring a runaway, which can be considered a crime. But perhaps there is a way for you to receive permission to live with your boyfriend’s family, or somewhere else that is safe. If you feel you are being forced to go back to live in an unsafe environment you can call your local child abuse reporting hotline to, hopefully, prevent this from happening. Also, if you haven’t filed a report for the abuse that happened, you can do that as well. Another great resource for people who have been through sexual abuse is www.rainn.org (Rape Abuse Incest National Network, hotline # 1-800-656-4673).

Of course, if you give us a call we can explore what further options you might have and provide other resources that may help. It’s usually the best way we can assist people in your situation. We are here 24/7 and are totally anonymous and confidential. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) We hope to hear from you soon!

Good luck,
    NRS

• ccsmod7
    Hi there, thanks for reaching out.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. Sounds like you are wanting to leave but you have no were to go. If you haven't already you might see if supportive friends or extended family could house you. If you call or chat us, we can look to see if there are any emergency runaway and homeless youth shelters in your area as well.

We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

We hope to hear from you soon.

Be safe,

NRS

Guest replied
    I want to runaway for many reasons but have nowhere to go. What to do I’m only 15

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hey, I’m 15 years old. I want to run away to my boyfriends house because my sister had told me she is sending me back to New York. And I can’t go back to a place I have been sexually abused and mentally abused. Also where my boyfriend is, I could better myself in the future with the program of early college where I couldn’t get myself an associates by the time I graduate. He and his family support me 100%. Could my case go smooth, what would I need to do?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    replied
    Reply: Hello. I was planning on running away

Hello,
    Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.
    Just so that you know we are not legal experts and only can provide some general legal information when it comes to someone running away or someone assisting/aiding a person running away.

Someone under 18 that leaves home, the parent/guardian may file them as a runaway (Status Offense) and they may be returned home. Also, those that a reported runaway stays with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. Anyone found to be assisting or aiding someone to run away may also find themselves at risk legally. For more specifics on the law, you might consider contacting the local non-emergency number for the police. You might also look for a legal aid center in the area. They may be able to answer any legal questions on the subject.

If you would like to talk more in detail we are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you.

If your friend should ever be at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage them to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

Take care,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hello. I was planning on running away from my hometown with my girlfriend. I want to know if this is just a status offense because we would both be runaways. Thanks

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand that it takes courage to seek help. It sounds like you plan on running away. In the state of Hawaii a person has to be at least 18 before they can leave home without parental consent. If you decide to runaway your parents have the right to file a runaway report. With a runaway report, if the police find you they may return you home. Running away isn't against the law but if you were to stay with your uncles or a friend, they could get charged with harboring a runaway. You could try asking you parents if they would allow you to stay with your uncles for a week. If you have any other questions or just want to talk, please feel free to contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat.

Guest replied
    Hi, I’m 15 and live in Hawaii. I want to know what will happen if I ran to my uncles or friends house for a week or so

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X