X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod4
    replied
    Reply: If ur 15 n they sent the police looking for u...

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

While we are not experts on the law, someone under 18 that leaves home, the parent/guardian may file them as a runaway and they may be returned home.
    The runaway report will stay active until you turn 18 or you have been recovered and returned home. Also, those that a reported runaway stays with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. Anyone found to be assisting or aiding someone to run away may also find themselves at risk legally. For more specifics on the law, you might consider contacting the local non-emergency number for the police. You might also look for a legal aid center in the area. They may be able to answer any legal questions on the subject.

We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Be safe,
    NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    If ur 15 n they sent the police looking for u how many days or years will they be searching?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension and where you feel like you aren’t allowed to be yourself.

It’s great to hear that your aunts support you. If you do opt to leave your home your parents can file a runaway report, which is essentially a missing person report. Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor. If you go to stay at your friend’s house without prior permission from your parents, they (or whoever is the legal adult in the home) could be charged with harboring a runaway, which is a misdemeanor. Penalties for harboring a runaway vary from state to state, police officer to officer, and how your parents view the situation.

We want you to know that you are strong for having gone through so much already. It is perfectly okay to deviate from what others or the common population believe to be “normal”. Your bravery and resilience is so admirable. You are so strong for having gone through so much without having the acceptance that you do deserve for just being you. Remember that you are not alone. The LGBT National Hotline could be a resource that can be a source of great support. The hotline is run by those that are familiar with the issues and experiences of those that are also a part of the LGBTQ community. You can reach them by calling 1-8888-843-4564 or you can check out their website at gltbhotline.org.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I am 15 and want to run away for a short while to my friends house. I am bisexual and my parents are very against it, I feel scared for what may happen if they find out. Will my friend get in trouble if i run away?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    Hello there, thanks for reaching out today.

Sounds like your dad really hurt you, and it's understandable that you are wanting to live with your mom. No one deserves to be treated like that. That has to be frustrating that police did not intervene after they knew you were harmed. Here at NRS, we truly want to be a support for you during this difficult time.

It seems like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at your dad's right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You have the right to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or transferring custody to your mom.

Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.

If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org if you are unable to call in at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best.

We hope to hear from you soon.

Be safe,

NRS

Guest replied
    im 14 an i live with my daddy an he mistreats me i was on the phone with my mother an he came in the room an grabbed my jacket an slung me into the wall my mama came to get me an he wouldnt let me go he called the police an they said that they cant make that kind of chose so im trying to see can i leave from school and go with my mama

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    im 15 i just want to run away my mom caught me with one cigerette and started yelling and tld my brother not to talk to me .. whats the legal trouble if i runaway

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    replied
    Thanks so much for reaching out to NRS. We’re so sorry to hear you’ve been having suicidal thoughts. No one deserves to have to deal with something so painful. It sounds like you’ve been dealing with a tough environment for a while and are looking for a way out, which is understandable.

Have you told anyone about the thoughts you’ve been having? If you ever feel like you might act on those suicidal thoughts, please call 911 or the National Suicide Prevention Hotline at 1-800-273-8255. Telling a counselor at school or a therapist can also be helpful – sometimes it makes a big difference just being able to get heavy feelings off your chest. We at NRS can also help you find mental health resources in your area if you give us a call at 1-800-786-2929.

Although we’re not legal experts, in Illinois, you generally need to be 18 to leave home without a parent or guardian’s permission. If you were to run away to your grandma’s house and your guardian or parent reported you as a runaway to police, all that means is the police could bring you home, since running away is a status offense and not a crime. If your parents gave you permission to go stay with your grandma, that would be legal.

Without knowing more about what’s going on at home, if your parents are guardians are harming you physically (hitting, kicking, etc.) or emotionally (cruel words, put-downs, threats, etc.) that could be considered child abuse and you have the right to report it at any time. A great resource is Child Help, a 24/7 confidential hotline like NRS that is focused on child abuse and can answer your questions about reporting and what might happen. Their number is 1-800-422-4453.

It takes a lot of courage to ask for help, and it shows a lot of maturity that you’re doing your research and exploring all your options before leaving home. We’re here for you any time, and wish you the best of luck.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I’m 15 I just want to run away my mom caught me with one cigarette and started yelling and told my brother not to talk to me .. What’s the legal trouble if I runaway. What would happen if I ran away to my grandma's house?
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 01-30-2019, 01:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    Hi there, unfortunately we are not legal experts and can only speak generally to runaway laws in the USA. We do not have knowledge of international law or how to get to California from Europe as a minor. You might reach out to your local childline to see if they have any helpful information for you: https://www.childhelplineinternation...pline-network/.

Best,

NRS

Guest replied
    im in europe and i want to get to california and i dont know if i can do it under the age of 18 or how can i do it without having to pay 300 dollar for a plane ticket?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by ccsmod1 View Post
    Hi there,

We are not legal experts, but we can tell you that because you are a minor, if you leave home and your parents file a runaway report, you could be returned home. There could also be legal consequences for whomever you stay with for what is called harboring a run away. If you want a liner to help you walk through other options like us mediating a conference call between you and your parents, thinking through possible adults that you could turn to or could advocate for you, or things like emancipation and legal aid numbers, don't hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

NRS
    hi im planing on runing away to new york but im in foster care

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    replied
    Reply: Hi, I live in Lafayette In.

Hi,
    Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline.

It sounds like you are in a tough situation and may be looking for some options to help work out the situation with your dad.
    NRS would like you to know we are here to support you at this difficult time.
    Right now it sounds like you are not back living with your dad and would like to know if you have to return home. We are not legal experts and only can give some general information about the law in this regard.
    18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case.
    Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. However, in that case there may be services (family counseling, etc.) available to you as a youth in crisis/runaway but again, police procedures related to offering those services can be different based on your location or the details of your situation. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. One way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth.
    It sounds like you are doing well living apart from your dad. You might consider coming up with a plan or strategy that might help to negotiate you staying in your present situation. NRS is here to listen and here to help. Having a space to vent and explore options may often bring out a solution previously not thought of. We are here as support to help you during this tough time. We can best help by phone or chat. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.

Let us know how we might help, please contact us at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) orwww.1800Runaway.org (live chat).

Take care,
    NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hi, I live in Lafayette In. And I am staying with a friend. My dad was recently in the hospital. And I had to come. Now he’s home and he’s got help. For about 2 years (I am 16 now) I have had to deal with him calling me names. I once tried to talk to him about my anxiety and depression and he told me that i have no reason to be unhappy because he had a worse child hood. With the place I am at now I get my school work done, and I’m so much happier. I came to see him after he came home. I was met with nasty treatment. I do a lot for him. I clean the house. Do his laundry. And I cook for his girlfriend. All while trying to balance my school work and job. He keeps threading R Do I have to go home?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod3
    Hi there,
    Thanks for contacting us. It’s brave of you to reach out and share your situation.
    First of all, abuse is never okay and you deserve to live somewhere where you are safe. You may want to consider contacting the National Child Abuse Hotline and filing an abuse report. You can reach them at 1-800-422-4453 or childhelp.org. Given how bad the abuse is and that you still have marks, this report could be a very important step for you to get to a safe place.
    We are not legal experts but we can give some advice about how running away is typically handled in the states. Typically running away isn’t a crime in and of itself, but your parents could file a runaway report that would alert local law enforcement that you’ve run away from home. If you were to be picked up by the local police, they usually return you to your parents’ home unless there was abuse in the home. This is where that abuse report could be very helpful. If there is abuse they typically will contact child services and try to relocate you somewhere safe.
    This could all depend on how the police want to handle your situation. You may want to consider calling your local police department for more information about how they handle runaway youth.
    Germany is possibly bit more difficult. The first thing you’d want to do is check with the airline to see what their rules are about minors traveling internationally without parental permission. If you were able to travel there, you’ll want to know about Germany’s immigration so you can take advantage of their services. If you speak and write German, you can possibly find out some information online.
    It sounds like you’re dealing with a very difficult situation where you are not safe. Whatever you decide to do, please know that we are here to help 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY, or chat with us at 1800runaway.org.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X