X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod7
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hey thank you for reaching out, it seems like you have a lot going on that’s making life at home hard so it is understandable that you want to get out. Adults shouldn’t be treating you like that and making threats and negative comments all the time. Forcing you to be responsible for a pet, while still being in school and you not being a dog person is unreasonable and it seems like the guy you all live with is being a bully. On top of that your dad passed away recently, which has to be hard and just adds to your stress. School is usually a place that you can be with friends and find support but they are forcing you into fights instead. With all of this happening it’s understandable that you want to get out of the situation or change it.

It seems like the main issue at home is the man you and your family is living with right now, have you ever asked your mom about moving somewhere else? If that isn’t an option we would usually suggest finding a school activity to join to help you have an excuse to stay out of the house in a safe way. In this case since school has baggage attached have you considered picking up a part-time job? You may have to wait until you are 16 but it can get you out of the house. Also having your own money can help you to sustain yourself in the long run, or to potentially care for yourself if you end up in a jam. Something that may help either way is talking to a counselor, either at school, or finding a personal one. There are many that operate on a sliding scale and even family counseling may be an option to help improve life at home.

If you need someone to talk to you can also chat online with us, or call our hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929).

Guest replied
    Hi I'm 15 and I'm treated like ******** at home and at school.. my mom lives with this guy and hes always got something nasty to say about me... I really need to leave here but I dont know where to go because I dont have a home but I was thinking of going to the raft when I turn 16 in 6 months because I cant tay here anymore this guy says things to my mom like "I hope she gets suspended from school" and stuff like "if she stops out of school shes not staying here anymore shes out of here." He has threatened to dump dog ******** in my room.. If I refuse to take the dog out that isn't even mine... I wanted him as a child but when I was younger my parents still had the option to say no still but they chose to get one and we started having problems training it and now that it's full grown it's always havin to go out and I dont mind doing it sometimes but this guy kept making me take him out ever 20 or 30 minutes a day and he would only force me to do it... he wouldn't ask my grandma or do it himself he would always ask me because he knows I'm not a dog person.... My dad has passed away only 2 weeks ago and I'm already feeling lost.. plus I got hit around and slapped by kids at school yesterday because I wouldn't fight my ex friend that started a fight with me this past weekend when I was throwing up sick I need to leave please can someone suggest some ideas

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I need help I run away 3 months ago I’m 16 & really wanna go back to school but I don’t want to go live back with my adopted parents. At the moment I’m living with my real older sister and her soon to be husband which my adopted parents know nothing about look I really need help going back to school I’m tired of not doing anything I’m stressing so much and have no idea what to do please help me stay with my sister but go to school I have nothing Ion have any of my papers for school and have already try contacting my adopted parents so they we could work something out but they won’t answer help please

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    Hello and thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry to hear that your home situation has been going so poorly that you are planning to run away. It is very kind and thoughtful to think about your friend before yourself and to be concerned for their wellbeing. While we are not legal experts, we do have a great deal of experience working with runaways. To break down our understanding of your situation: as a minor, if you leave home your parents are entitled to file a runaway report. If a runaway report is out on you, the police are usually entitled to notify your parents and take you home. Additionally, if you are staying with someone your parents, if they have the financial resources, have the option of hiring a lawyer and taking the adult in charge of the household to court for “harboring a runaway”. Usually this is considered a misdemeanor offense, which can vary in consequence by state.

If you would like to talk more specifically about what is going on or would like some references to legal services, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us on our 24/7 hotline 1-800-786-2929 or on chat at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hello. Im 15. Ive been planning on running away for years now and my friend is saying that they will harbor me. Im not really worried about myself getting in trouble since i know ill be beat within an inch of my life when im forced home. What im worried about is my friend. How much trouble could they get in for harboring me?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    What happens if I’m 15 and runs away from home? I’ve been kicked up and offered to leave but I never did leave. I have a place to stay just concerned about what could happen, iv left a note for my mum and dad. What would happen if I ran away?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    Hi there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like living with your grandparents has taken a major toll on you and you are wanting to leave at 16. That must be an incredibly difficult situation and we truly want to be a support for you.

18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. However, in that case there may be services (family counseling, etc.) available to you as a youth in crisis/runaway but again, police procedures related to offering those services can be different based on your location or the details of your situation. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. One way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth.

Please do not hesitate to call or chat if you have questions, need resources, or need to talk. We can explore your situation, go over all your options, and come up with a plan and resources to deal with your situation over the phone or on live chat.

We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck.

-NRS

Guest replied
    I'm 15 and it has been my desire to get away from my grandparents my grandpa is a JPO and my grandma is Hippocratic. It hurts to say this but i hate them both so much I've ran away multiple time but now i'm turning 16 in 118 days. Yes i have been counting that's how bad i wanna be gone i'm just worried that i will get arrested if i leave. will i?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi, and thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like there is a lot going on right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. Sorry to hear that your parents are threatening to kick you out. Unfortunately, what you shared with us, parents kicking out a youth and then saying that they have run away does happen.

In most states, including Washington, the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission is 18. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

We are here as support to help through this challenging time. If you'd like to talk in more detail about your situation or have any questions please call 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chat with us (www.1800RUNAWAY.org) as we can best help by phone or chat. Best, NRS

Guest replied
    I am 15 and I’m thinking of my parents have threatened to kick me out but I know if they do they will tell everyone that I ran away and that they’ll be looking for me, but if they do kick me out I’m not gonna want to return so is there a maximum time I can be gonna in Washington state and or what will happen to me if I get caught, cuz if they take me back I’m most likely to leave right after that

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    replied
    Reply: Hi I'm 15 gonna be 16 soon

Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.
    It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and not sure what to do.
    We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
    We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance.
    If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
    NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hi I'm 15 gonna be 16 soon and I really wnat to run away I feel like I'm hated and that I don't belong in my family well not completely hated but it's a long story anyways I feel like it is very emotionally damaged more everyday and I'm getting to the point where I can't take it andand I'm losing my temper which will only get me in trouble and I feel as if there's nothing I can do be just go and be aways from here idk what to do. Can you help?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. We’re sorry to hear that your parents are treating you in such a hurtful manner. Everyone deserves to feel loved in their own home. Your mom telling you that she does not care about you is inappropriate and cruel. What you’re feeling is valid and it is okay for you to feel like you need to do something desperate. If you feel like a danger to yourself, it might be worth it to call us on our 24/7 confidential hotline at 1-800-786-2929 or on chat at 1800runaway.org. Additionally, you can always reach out to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255. You can also give us a call about running away. We can talk about how to plan safely and look at options as to where you could go. Again, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us at 1-800-786-2929.

Take care,
    NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X