No announcement yet.

What are the consequences of a 15 year old running away

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello, please help me. I am fifteen years old and my family and I have been falling apart. We all have been through some fights and are so angry at each other. I want to just drop everything and leave. What should I do? I have run away before, but they found me within an hour. They were crying and sad. I do not want to break their hearts again, but I just cannot take it. I need a little break for a while, and then I'm planning to come back home. What am I supposed to do?

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi, thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like things are really difficult with your family right now, and we’re sorry to hear that you feel like everyone is falling apart. It can be hard to manage when emotions are running high and people are angry.
      It is understandable that you feel like you need a break, a little time away to calm down and gather your thoughts. We can also see why you don’t want to hurt your family in the process. Maybe there is somewhere safe you can go for a few hours, or even a few days – to a trusted friend or family member who doesn’t live with you – and perhaps you could even let your family know before you leave that you need a little time but that you will be back home soon. If you do leave home overnight just know that it is possible that your family could file a police report and, if they did, the person(s) you are staying with could get in trouble for harboring a minor.
      If you have further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us at 1-800-786-2929 or on our chat line at www.1800runaway.org. We are here 24/7. Take care.

• Hi, I'm 15 and I really can't stand my parents anymore they make me feel unsafe and uncomfortable I really want to run away from them, they don't let me go they keep saying is for my own good but why? If they say is for my "own good" then why do they make me feel unsafe and uncomfortable..? I just want to stay with my friends or my boyfriend... My dad is really the one who makes me unsafe since he was the one always hurting me and my mom is the one that makes me uncomfortable she screams at me and yelling on top of her lungs.. they both won't leave me alone for once I hate my parents and I can't deal with their crap anymore they treat my siblings right at least they are alright but I hate them last time I tried harming myself.. this time I can't do it anymore I really need to run away from them.

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thanks for contacting NRS and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you with figuring out your next steps in this difficult situation. Asking for help was really responsible and smart of you.It can certainly be stressful at home when the adults in the household are not supportive.Abuse of any kind is never okay and not your fault. You deserve to be treated in a way that makes you feel safe and cared for.

Generally speaking, your parents are your legal guardians until you turn 18, so they can decide where you live. If you do choose to leave without permission, your parents can report you as a runaway to the police. Running away is not illegal, but it is a status offense. This means that if your parents know where you are staying then they can have the police return you home. You are the expert on your situation and your safety is incredibly important. If you feel like you need to leave, the runaway report is just a risk to keep in mind.

The easiest way to leave home as a minor is with your parents’ permission. In this case, they would be allowing you to live somewhere else where you are safe and being cared for. A helpful step is to start reaching out to friends and family members you might be able to stay with. Sometimes having an adult advocate on your side can make communicating your needs more effective to your parents. Perhaps an adult family member, a friend's parent or a counselor at school can talk to your parents with you about your experience at home and the possibility of you leaving.

You mentioned that you do not feel safe at home and your parents sometimes hurt you. Child Help is an organization that advocates for young people in abusive and unhealthy situations. You can contact them at 1-800-422-4453 or go to childhelphotline.org to talk more about the option of making an abuse report and strategies for getting a trusted adult involved to intervene.

This is a tough spot to be in and you deserve to be getting support as you cope with the emotional stress. . There is a crisis text-line you can contact to be connected with a counselor. If you feel like you need someone to talk to at anytime you can text “NAMI” to 741741.

We truly want to be a support for you as you decide on your next steps. We are available 24/7 to listen and help as much as possible. Please do not hesitate to reach out again by phone or chat if you would like to talk more in-depth about your situation and explore your options. You can contact us by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat services at www.1800runaway.org.

Stay safe,
      NRS
      Last edited by ccsmod13; 03-03-2020, 08:15 PM.

• ummm i wanna run away and im only 15 but my boyfriend he tried to talk me out of it but my mother keep messing up my life and im tierd of it at this point idk what to docan you help plssss

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for taking the brave step to reach out to NRS and ask for help. We are sorry to hear your mother has been making your life more stressful and challenging. You deserve to be living somewhere you feel supported and loved. Leaving can be a big decision to make, but we want you to know that you do not have to go about it alone.

Generally speaking, your parents are your legal guardians until you turn 18, so they can decide where you live. If you do choose to leave without permission, your parents can report you as a runaway to the police. Running away is not illegal, but it is a status offense. This means that if your parents know where you are staying then they can have the police return you home.

The easiest way to leave home as a minor is with your parents’ permission. In this case, they would be allowing you to live somewhere else where you are safe and being cared for. A helpful step is to start reaching out to friends and family members you might be able to stay with. Sometimes having an adult advocate on your side can make communicating your needs more effective to your parents. Perhaps an adult family member, a friend's parent or a counselor at school can talk to your parents with you about your experience at home and the possibility of you leaving.

We can best be of help by phone or chat as our responses to bulletins are limited. We want to talk more in-depth about your situation with you so that we can better help you discover your options. You can contact us by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat services at www.1800runaway.org. We are available 24/7 to listen and help as much as possible.

• Hi im 15 and my reason to runaway is a little complicated my home is pretty normal my parents are great and i live in a safe environment but i struggle from depression and a little anxiety and this makes me feel horrible i think about ways of killing myself during school and randomly throughout the week i have at least 1 thought of suicide a day how ever i am getting help from a private therapist to the counselor at my school and the medication i take every day but i still have those type of thoughts i feel like the very walls around me are closing in and i just need to escape school,home,anyone i know, i want to start my own life free from this hell i feel and although i want to die or runaway i know i cant i need any advise you got please.

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now. It sounds like you’re fearing that the situation may end in suicide if things don’t change. Your safety and well-being is important. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255); www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org is also a great resource to reach out to in addition to our crisis services.
      Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. This may be an isolating and lonely time for you, but you are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
      If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      We hope to hear from you soon.
      Be safe and stay strong,
      NRS

Please click the link below to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

• i am 15 years old. i want to run away to canada and i live in FL. If i stay here im going to end up killing myself. I have a shelter in mind to go too, but if i dont have a passport i cant cross over the border, i do have a birth certificate but will they call my parents if they see im under 18?

Comment

• ccsmod3
      ccsmod3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to us.We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now. It sounds like you’re fearing that the situation may end in suicide if things don’t change. Your safety and well-being is important. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255); www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org is also a great resource to reach out to in addition to our crisis services. Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. This may be an isolating and lonely time for you, but you are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.

While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).The National Runaway Safeline is located in the United States of America (USA). Our knowledge of helpful community based resources and our understanding of youth in crisis related laws is limited to the USA.

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Be safe!

• Hello I’ve been running away with my boyfriend
    mom 17 and he’s 16
    we both don’t want to return to our parents house for various reasons
    My boyfriend fears that’s his dad will send him back to another state and that he will physically abuse him once he gets there
    I’m on a current DHS report by my parents, they have have said horrible things to me, hurt me physically and impacted the whole family because of my dads actions
    I didn’t wanted to escalate this situation but I did
    Were not home and we’re going to a shelter home
    They made a missing child report already and authorities are looking for us
    We can’t go back like this, we need to talk to someone to help us and our parents and make a plan this is helpful for everyone
    i just don’t want to get to a shelter and then calling the police right away because we’re missing without hearing our explanation

We need to find a shelter that will help us all
    We live in Philadelphia

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

It sounds like a very challenging situation. First off, we’re here 24/7 and you can call us at any time to talk through what you’re dealing with. We’re at 1-800-786-2929.
      Given your and your boyfriend’s age, your parents are your legal guardians until you’re 18. So the police would be looking for you to return you home. However, if you call us, we can work with you to call DHS to discuss further your case and what is currently the status. And maybe decide in conversation with DHS if it makes sense to return home.

We can also find shelters for your in the area and discuss what rules they may have in terms of calling the police. Typically they will call your parents after a couple of days to inform them of where you are. If you discuss the abuse with the shelter, they are mandated reporters so they will report this to either DHS or the police.

If you’d like to discuss your situation further or make some calls out to DHS or shelters in your area, please do not hesitate to call us at 800-786-2929. We’re here to help.

• So lately this week was awful for me, and I just want to run away. The only reason why I come here is to ask if my parents is gonna get in trouble for me running away

Comment

• ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi, thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. Thank you for being brave and asking for help, and we’re sorry to hear this week has been so tough.
      We are not legal experts and offer the best advice we can. If you choose to run away and are under 18, the most likely thing your parents will do is contact the police and file a runaway report. This gives the police a cause to search for you and will stay on your record until you turn 18. If you are found by the police but there is evidence of any neglect or abuse at home, that is cause for police and Child Protective Services to investigate your home life and may lead to trouble for your parents. More specific legal answers can be found online or with other legal aid services.

Again, we’re really glad you reached out to us. It takes a lot to ask for help and you are taking very good steps. If you want to reach out to the NRS again, we are available at 1800-RUNAWAY for calls and www.1800runaway.org for chats. We are 24/7, toll free, and confidential.

• Hi, I’m thinking about running away. My parents are not physically abusive but they are mentally in ways I can not explain. I want to know a way where I can leave my home and not be forced to come back but without my parents permission because I know for a fact that they’ll make me stay. Please help me find a solution.

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for taking the time to write us here at NRS. It can certainly be stressful at home when the adults in the household are not supportive. Emotional abuse does get overwhelming and it can be tough to cope with on your own. Abuse of any kind is never okay and not your fault.

Generally speaking, your parents are your legal guardians until you turn 18, so they can decide where you live. If you do choose to leave without permission, your parents can report you as a runaway to the police. Running away is not illegal, but it is a status offense. This means that if your parents know where you are staying then they can have the police return you home.

Child Help is an organization that advocates for young people in abusive and unhealthy situations. You can contact them at 1-800-422-4453 or go to childhelphotline.org to talk more about strategies for coping with the emotional abuse at home and options for having a trusted adult intervene to help. They can also be another resource to add to your support system while you navigate this challenging time.

We truly want to be a support for you as you decide on your next steps. We are available 24/7 to listen and help as much as possible. Please do not hesitate to reach out again by phone or chat if you would like to talk more in-depth about your situation and explore your options. You can contact us by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat services at www.1800runaway.org.

• My stepdad and mom have always fought since I was little my mom always left me and my lil brother alone in the house just to chase after my stepdad we've always had problems and they always fought since I can remember I've had to see my mom try to kill herself and over the time I've built up anger about It .I'm 15 now and I did bad actions because I wasn't ever happy the only thing I did was took money from my grandparents once and had a bf and note that I'm a sophomore. I feel suffocated angry upset that I grew up the way I did. All I remember is the fights and violence from my childhood and I'm angry cuz my mom never gave me freedom I felt that she's never let me grow up like how I'm suppose to as a teen. She only wanted to know things she never tried to understand and it hurts. And when she gets really really angry with me this happened one time as I clearly remember I was so angry at my stepdad because he cheated and ive had that anger with him,we had a issue that day with my bf cuz I wasn't suppose to take talk to him and I got mad and pushed him and my mom got crazy and pushed me and tried chocking me and slap me but my family pulled her away I didn't know how to feel and Last night she told me she will not support me anymore in life nor in school or to pay for my college she said to stay away from my brother and my cousin cuz I'm bad she's said that no one in the house even wants me there rn and that she's doesn't want to loose a daughter but I can hurt myself if I wanted to she doesn't care anymore all because I wanted to be normal like a teen she also said if I want to leave by all means go ahead she said she didn't care wat I did with my life anymore and I want to runaway and I have my boyfriend my best friend and my cousin to go to but they won't take me because they don't want to get in trouble with the cops and my parents. I need to leave cuz I'm slowly getting mentally beat up with wat my mom said to me and I don't on the feel safe being home because of myself. I need help on what to do .

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. They can tell you more about how CPS could respond to your situation. If you ever need assistance calling out to CPS to make an abuse or neglect report please call is at 1-800-RUNAWAY.
      Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
      If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best
      Be safe,
      NRS

Please click the link below to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

• i want to leave my house for a night because me and my mom got into a fight can my friends parents get in trouble if my mom was to call the police and say i left.

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. Getting into a fight with your mom sounds pretty intense and it makes sense that you want some space. If you left home without your parents permission, they could call the police and file a runaway report. It’s not illegal to run away and you won’t get arrested or go to jail, but if the police know where you are, they can notify your parents and then bring you back home. If you were just leaving for a night, it would be pretty unlikely that your friend’s parents would get into trouble, but there is a risk of something called “harboring a runaway” if they shelter you many times and if your parents want to try and press charges.

If you want to talk more about what is going on and what options you have, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org

Take care,
      NRS

• Hi I’m 14 and I want to run away. I have nowhere to go. My dad died three months ago and my mom took me from my step family. They were more family than she’s ever been. She used to be abusive. She’s still at least mentally abusive. I feel lonely and unloved. I need to leave. Advice?
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 04-02-2020, 03:46 AM.

Comment

• ccsmod4
      ccsmod4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,
      Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We are so sorry to hear about the loss of your father. It must be very hard to come to grips with. Sometimes it helps to look for support in times such as this.

We would like to be of assistance to you if we can. It is times like these that would be nice to have a listening ear. It is also important that you remember to exercise self- care. You showed some by reaching out to NRS. Good for you. What you have been experiencing sounds very sad and very, very unfair. You do not deserve to be treated this way by your mother. It’s not your fault that she behave's this way. It sounds emotionally abusive. Your feelings are important and they matter.
      You are deserving as anyone that wants to be happy.
      We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat so that we might learn a little more about your situation and how we might assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

Take care,
      NRS
      Last edited by ccsmod4; 04-02-2020, 03:15 AM.

• im 15 and i live in california and i looked it up and it is not a crime to run away in california and i have a plan also i have someone i could stay with that can take care of me and they don't mind if i lived with them my mom only said no because she wants me to go to school here but i don't want to stay here anymore is that going to effect me in anyway saying its not a crime to run away? Also the only legal truble someone would get into is my mom and step dad now what would you say about this??? ps. just wondering not really going to run away but i wanted to know if i could if i wanted to? is this true or not to be able to or not?

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello, and thank you for taking the time to share a post on our Bulletin.

While we are not legal experts by any means, we can speak generally on this issues you brought up.

Generally speaking your parents or legal guardians can decide where you live until you reach the age of majority (18 in most states). If you leave home without permission, your parents do have the right to report you as a runaway to the police. You are right that running away is not illegal, but it is a status offense. A status offense is something you cannot do because of your age. This means that your parents can ask that police return you home. Your mom and step dad would not necessarily get into trouble if you ran away. Your parents are obligated to ensure you have a safe place to live until you turn 18. If they do not do this then they they could get into legal trouble for neglect. If your parents notify police that you have left without permission and might not be safe then this would likely prevent them from getting into legal trouble for you running away. Depending on the laws in your area, anyone that you stay with or who helps you to runaway could get into legal trouble for harboring a runaway or contributing to the delinquency of a minor. The best way to know the laws in your area is to call the non-emergency number for the local police department to ask about their runaway and harboring protocols.

We hope this information was able to answer all of your questions. If you would like to talk more about this or your situation, please do not hesitate to reach out again anytime by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat services at 1800runaway.org.

• If I’m 15 in South Carolina. what charges will I face when I act upon running away? I would just like to know the consequences, either way I’m going to leave my home without tipping people off.

Comment

• ccsmod3
      ccsmod3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
      While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,
      NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X