No announcement yet.

What are the consequences of a 15 year old running away

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • hi, im alexus and im 13, im very depressed at times and its because i have no one to talk and i feel all alone. Every time i try to express myself to my brother whose 12 just tells or
    threatens me to do something for hem or, he will tell. This would be my 2 time running away if i do run away and i don't want to but i feel like this family is not for me. I cant even turn
    to my own mom because she dose crazy thing, and say mean and hurtful things and my step dad is no better then my mom. Yes they buy me things i want and need but the real
    question is, dose it really emotionally make me feel happy which is, " No" so you do the math and tell me. So is there i program i can stay at untill i turn 18? please i need you help.


    • ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We would love to help however we would need more information to further help you. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      We hope to hear from you soon.
      Be safe, NRS

  • I'm considering running away. I'm 15. My parents have belittled me, mocked me, get angry at anything and everything, and sometimes even escalate to violence. They manipulate me and won't let me express emotions or opinions. I have plans to stay with a good friend. Would this be infeasible or a bad idea? I don't think that I can wait until 18 to get out.


    • ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for contacting NRS. It sounds like you are going through a very tough time and we’re glad you reached out to us. No one deserves to be treated the way you are being treated at home and reaching out to us is a good first step to take. If you do not feel safe at home, you can also contact National Safe Place at or text SAFE and your location to 44357. They will let you know the nearest safe place location where you can go until you determine what you want to do.

      If you feel like you are in imminent danger you can always call 911. You can also consider calling Child Protective Services and filing an abuse report. If you are uncomfortable calling yourself, you can call us and we can make the call with or for you.
      A potential resource is Child Help, the National Child Abuse Hotline at 1-800-422-4453 or They can talk to you about your situation and may be able to help you identify resources that may be helpful to you.

      We are not legal experts, but we can offer some general information on the legal consequences of running away. The age of majority – the age at which you can legally leave home – is generally 18. Since you are 15, if you run away, your parents can file a runaway report. Running away is not a crime. If you are picked up by the police, they will likely take you back home.

      You should also be aware that if you are staying with your friend and the police pick you up there, your friend or your friend’s parents could be charged with harboring a runaway.

      The way police address runaway and harboring cases varies from place to place. If you call the non-emergency number of your local police department they may be able to tell you how they handle runaway and harboring cases. Again, if you are not comfortable making the call, you can call us and we can make the call with of for you.
      You can also always contact us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or We have volunteers available 24/7 to talk with you on a confidential basis and help connect with the resources you need.

      We wish you the best!

  • Hey, I’m 15 and pregnant. My mother is my legal guardian but she hates me and she’s trying to destroy my life. My dad went to prison four years ago and that’s when it all started I want to runaway but I live in Michigan (USA) and it’s not legal for me to leave. I want to stay at my boyfriends house who is also 15 his parents love me and they take care of me a lot more than my mom does. I don’t know what to do I want to runaway but i can’t go to my boyfriends house being they would be in trouble for harboring a runaway...


    • ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello There,
      Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are dealing with a lot right now. Being pregnant at 15 can be a challenging time, but we are glad that you have your boyfriend’s family for support.
      We are not legal experts but if you were to leave home without permission you could be considered as a runaway. If the police do find you they most likely would bring you back home. Whoever you stay with could potentially get in trouble for harboring a runaway. Harboring a runaway would usually consist of a fine or a misdemeanor.
      We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any more questions or would like to explore options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and provide you support. Best of luck, please stay strong!

  • I'm 18 years old and I might possibly be pregnant with my 16 year old boyfriends child. He's happy where he's at with his family and he doesn't want to leave his family behind.. he doesn't want to run away but he doesn't know I'm with child. If I ran away soon do you think that if they found me they would take me back if my boyfriend reported I ran away? My parents are super controlling and being unfair with their rules. They don't know I'm with child or that the father is a 16 year old.. they would KILL me if they found out he was the father. I want to run away, they're abusive they've hit me more than 3 times ever since I got adopted and I just wanna live with my boyfriend but i don't wanna be so close to my parents that they will find me and take me away from him.


    • Hello! Thank you so much for reaching out, we appreciate you seeking help during this difficult time.

      To begin with, you mentioned that you might be pregnant with your 16 year old’s boyfriend. It sounds like you’re in a hard place right now not knowing what to do, but we are here to support you in any way that we can. An option to explore first would be to take a pregnancy test to verify if you are pregnant or not. If you are, you may want to consider having a heart to heart with your boyfriend, and letting him know what proper steps you both are going to take next.

      Furthermore, you stated that your boyfriend doesn’t want to run away, and that you yourself want to get away from your abusive adoptive parent’s home. No one should have to endure any abuse whether it be physically, emotionally, or mentally. If you find yourself in that situation again, you may look into the possibility to reaching out to your local authorities, and press charges since you are 18 years of age. The National child abuse hotline is a great resource as well to report abuse, and offer services to further better your recent situation, they can be reached anytime at 1800) 422-4453. We aren’t legal experts, but in most states anyone under 18 is considered a minor. If you decide to run away, your legal guardians may file a runaway report with the authorities, and whoever harbors a runaway, may face some legal consequences. We want you to be safe, and if at anytime you feel like that is at jeopardy, you may text the word safe and your location to 44357. The national safe place will text you a safe location, and a caseworker will be out to assist you.

      We hope that you can seek help from these provided resources, and want you to know that we care about your safety, you’re not alone in this battle. In fact, you’re really brave for going through this difficult time in your life. If for whatever reason you require additional assistance, or wants us to make a call on your behalf, feel free to give us a call anytime at 1800) 786-2929. Best of luck!
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

      National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


      • I want to run away to my friends house tonight because im tired of not having a relationship with my dad and my step mom treating me unfairly. My friend is very close to me and im very close to her mom. If my friends mom knew that I was running away, and let me stay, what would happen to her? I dont want to get into more details as to why i want to leave, but I want to and i want it to be tonight, I already have a plan. First im gonna try and talk to my dad about moving in with my friend, but if he pushes me away and says we can talk another time, like he normally does, then im going to leave. What would happen to me and my sibilings? and what would happen to my dad and step mom? would social services go to my house right away? or send a letter before?


        • ccsmod15
          ccsmod15 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,
          Thank you for contacting us at the National Runaway Safeline. It takes great courage to reach out for help and we are glad that you decided to reach out to us.

          It sounds like you are going through a hard time at home and that is making you think about leaving home. It seems like its' hard to communicate with your dad and step mom. Family counseling can be helpful and if you may choose you can contact NAMI at 1-800-950-NAMI for any counseling resources. Talking to other adults you trust like other family members or school counselors can also be helpful. We also offer a conference call service where you could call us and we can conference with your parents and help advocate for you and come to a common ground.

          Leaving home can be hard and it can be helpful to think about where you might stay and how you might pay for food, rent and other living expenses. We are not legal experts however speaking generally if you are to leave home without your parents permission the police can bring you back home and whoever you are staying with could be charged with harboring a runaway.

          You can call us at our 24 hour confidential hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY(786-2929) and we would be happy to listen to you, explore your options and provide any resources.

          We wish you the best and hope to hear from you soon.

      Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove