Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied

I turn 16 this June and I recently switched to online schooling for my sophomore year. I always had problems with my parents being ********ed up towards me and my 4 siblings and now they want to send me and my younger sister to a boarding school that I know they can't afford. I'm getting As and Bs at my online school, haven’t smoked or drank in a while and they still yell at me and my mom shoves me and ******** but I never do anything back cuz it's not as bad as I could be. If I get sent to this boarding school and then file for emancipation in June when I turn 16, am I allowed to stay at my friend's houses? Also I just want to finish high school online and I'm wondering if there are any laws to stop that from happening if I can prove that I am doing well here? If I run away from the boarding school before I am emancipated will I get taken in by the cops? Thanks, any help is appreciated. Male Arizona
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 03-02-2019, 01:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    commented on Guest's reply
    18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. However, in that case there may be services (family counseling, etc.) available to you as a youth in crisis/runaway but again, police procedures related to offering those services can be different based on your location or the details of your situation. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. One way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth.

Guest replied
    I’m 15 and I often argue with my parents. They threaten to kick me out, so i thought that it would be okay if I just left. But I don’t have a plan on where to go because my boyfriend lives all the way across town and I don’t have a phone to contact him or any other close friends.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hello! Thank you for reaching out to NRS! It sounds like your situation is very frustrating. You deserve to feel loved and cared for in your home. You have made some suicidal comments which is very serious. We take your safety earnestly. You can always call the National suicide Prevention Lifeline if you are having these thoughts. Their number is 1800-273-8255. We have some resources regarding mental health that you might be interested in. The National Alliance on Mental Illness is a great resource that can help you find other resources and talk through your situation. Their number is 1800-950-NAMI. You can also text NAMI at 741741.
    Since you are a minor, you would need your parent’s consent on anywhere you go since you are their legal responsibility. Your family friend could be charged with harboring a minor if you do not have your parent’s consent to stay with them. You can always contact us via chat on our website at www.1800runaway.org or call us at 1800-786-2929 and we will be able to talk further and provide possible other resources.
    We’re here to listen, here to help.
    National Runaway Safeline

Guest replied
    I have a question. I’m 15 years old and currently under custody of my parents. I’ve had a history of suicide and depression and whenever I’ve cut myself my parents get extremely angry at me (so I guess that counts as verbal abuse when they yell), and I don’t exaggerate. I understand the difference between punishment and just plain hatred and I believe they’ve crossed a line. They don’t allow me to go anywhere besides school and I feel like I’m trapped. I’m not the kind of kid that wants to go off with their friends to parties and get high but it wouldn’t be nice to be able to go to the dollar general nextdoor me without facing my parents consequences. And I know that this sounds reduculous, but when they punish me for punishing myself (cutting) it only makes me want to do it more. They threatened to take me to a mental institution for 6 months because they didn’t want to deal with my anymore because they don’t think I’m trying. However, if I wasn’t trying I would have been dead a long time ago. Not only that, but I’m afraid they really are going to take me somewhere so I keep debating on wether or not to take myself out completely so I won’t have to deal with it anymore. I’ve never been this scared in my life and I’m desperate for an answer or help.
    Is it legal for me to stay with a family friend without my parents consent, considering I’m only 15?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    Hi. Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline and sharing a bit of your story with us. It must be rather stressful and heartbreaking to deal with that type of punishment. It sounds like what you described could be considered child abuse and if so this is something you can report to child protective services or the police if you are feeling unsafe. You don’t deserve that type of treatment at all and you should be treated with dignity and respect. If you need support or help doing this feel free to contact us or reach out to child help at 1800-422-4453. School can be a tough and stressful experience for anyone especially when there are personal issues taking place this can be a big distraction. Aside from filing an abuse report you can also reach out to your school counselor and make them aware of your home situation if you feel comfortable.
    It may be important to know that if you would like to leave home you must be at least 18 years old to do so in most states. Therefore, at 16 you must have parental consent in order to leave home. If you do decide to leave without permission it may be important to know that your parents have the right to file a runaway report. If a runaway report is filed and you are found then you may be returned back home however you may notify authorities that you do not feel safe at home. If you are caught at your boyfriends or a friend’s house without permission they may be at risk of harboring charges.
    If you decide to go the emancipation route, it may be important to know that emancipation can be a lengthy process and you will have to prove that you can be financially independent and responsible. To learn more about emancipation and go over some possible scenarios and options for your situation please do not hesitate to reach out to us via phone at 1800-runaway or come in and chat with us at 1800runaway.org All the best, NRS.

Guest replied
    I am 16 and my life is not amazing. School is a problem, and the reason why I'm failing is because of my mom. She says we shouldn't be afraid of her but I am because whenever I fail a class she beats me and my siblings with a wire or a backscratcher. I can't take it anymore and I believe that if I moved out or get emancipated I would do much better in school. I would go to a friend's house or my boyfriend's house but I don't want to get them in trouble. What do I do?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    Hi, that sounds like a really tough situation so thank you for reaching out to us.

This is a really scary place for a parent to be, since they don’t know what their daughter is planning, so it’s great that they know they have your support. It sounds like a lot of good steps are already being taken since she’s in counseling and it’s clear that there is a support system around her, even if she doesn’t neccessarily see it. You can definitely try giving either your sister or her daughter our phone number. We’d be able to talk with either or both of them about what’s going on at home that’s making the youth want to leave, and we could talk about coping strategies and options. One other option is that if your sister is feeling like her daughter is really out of control, some states have programs for out of control youth, but it varies from state to state. If that seems like something you’d like to learn more about you can reach out to us via call or chat to learn more about it in your state. If she does decide to run away, she can reach out to us then as well, and we could at least help her to find ways to stay safe and we could provide additional missing children resources to your sister.

As for right now, it sounds like you’re really just trying to be there for her family and that’s already a huge support to the parents. If you have a good relationship with your niece, and feel comfortable doing so, then you can always try assuring her that if she does decide to run away, she could come to you, so at least you know she has a safe place to go. There’s a lot going on here and it can be really overwhelming. If you ever need support, you can also feel free to reach out to us yourself, and we’re always here to listen. Please feel free to reach out any time, we’re available 24/7 at 1-800-Runaway.

Guest replied
    My sisters daughter is almost 15 and ran away for the first time last night. The police were called and she came home on her own but we are worried she will do it again. She is in counseling for mental issues. I want to give them support but don’t know what to do for the situation. Do you have any suggestions? Thank you

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. It may be difficult for you to hide from the police if they already know that you have run away to your boyfriend before and they know where he lives. Other than that, it is a little hard for us to advise you on your situation without more information. If you want to talk in greater depth about what is going on, we may be able to figure out some other options that you might have. If you are interested, please reach out to us on our confidential 24/7 hotline 1-800-786-2929 or on chat at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi I'm 15 and my bf is like 20 he stay like 5 hours away I want him to come pick me up again this is the second time he would have how do I hide from the police?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod5
    Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. It’s very kind of you to open your home to someone in need. However, we totally understand your concern about not wanting to get into trouble. It is true that harboring a runaway can be a crime. A good option would be to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY or to have the youth call us. That way we could help her find a safe and legal place for her to stay. Another option would be to bring her to a shelter yourself. We really appreciate you reaching out and looking forward to hearing from you.
    Last edited by ccsmod5; 02-15-2019, 05:24 PM.

Guest replied
    I'm a parent of 3 kids and they have a friend that I know little about but needed a place to stay so I said ok just til he found another place. Then last night his girlfriend from another town came to see him and stayed the night and as the new day came around and time went by I'm now learning that the girl is 15 and is a possible runaway. On top of that the boy I allowed to stay is 19. What do I do or who do I need to call about this?????
    PLEASE HELP IM REALLY UPSET AND STEESSST AND WAS ONLY TRUING TO BE NICE BUT I DONT WANT TO GET INTO ANY TROUBLE OR CAUSE ANY PROBLEMS BUT I WAS UNNAWARE OF ANY OF WHAT HAS COME TO SURFACE ABOUT EITHER KID.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    Hi, thank you for reaching out to us. It sounds like things are hard for you and your brother at home with your mom not taking responsibility for you. There are always consequences to running away which is why we try to help keep youth safe and off the streets.
    There are matters of custody to consider, so talking with your dad about what’s been happening would be a good step. Also talking to another trusted adult, maybe someone at school, would let them file a report to the State that you live in to investigate. You can also visit https://www.nationalsafeplace.org/ to either text for immediate help or find a place away from your home to have a youth worker meet with you and talk things over.
    You can always reach us at our hotline 1-800-RUNAWAY to talk over your options. You can also reach us via live chat through the website 1800runaway.org Call us anytime.

Guest replied
    I'm 15 in Texas and I want to runaway with my brother to live with my dad because my mom isn't capable of taking responsibility for us

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X