Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    I’m 15 and i have a girlfriend who is running away and wants to pick me up and take me with her. im not against the idea of leaving and getting to be with her considering it’s long distance. my 18 year old brother wants to move back in and it’s making me stressed because he made me smoke, drink and get tattoos with him starting when i was 11. so i don’t want him back. if he moves back, i’m going to agree to leave with my girlfriend. if he doesn’t, i won’t go with her.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension. Your friend was correct in that if your dad does file a runaway report all the police would do would be to return you home. If you explained to the police that you felt unsafe at home they may let you stay where you are but an investigation would be opened with Child Protective Services. Some areas offer youth shelters or transitional living centers focused on longer-term youth housing and there may be an organization like that near you. To look into this option please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi I’m 15 yrs old i live in Texas and I been thinking about running away from home I was thinking about staying with a friend but I realized if I’d got caught they would get in trouble for Harboring a runaway and I don’t want that so idk there I would go if I run away from home I been trying to find the odds but seemed to me there not helping. Is there anything that my parents can do if I run besides file a runaway report to the police? My friend told if i run away all the police can do is send me back home unless I don’t feel like I’m in a safe environment. The reason why I want to run away is bc of my stepmom she overdose on pills n even took some of my ADHD pills that are Prescribe to me, none of my family likes her and my brother tried for 3 yrs to get my dad to divorce her but my dad never did. I been off and on about thinking about running away but I never had the encourage to. Is there any place I can go to if I do runaway? Would they get in trouble for keeping me and not turning me in? I need answers by tonight. Thank you

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi, Thank you for reaching out to us; we are glad that you did. You do not deserve to live in a place where you are so unsafe. We are glad that you got away from your dad, but are concerned about your safety now. We hope that you might reach out to us to talk it over. You can also access www.nationalsafeplace.org from a cell phone. Look at the For Teens tab on their website to anonymously ask your questions. But from what you report, you are not safe at home.
    You can reach us 24/7 to talk this all over. You can call 1-800-786-2929 (1-800-RUNAWAY) or access our live chat via www.1800runaway.org
    We are here to listen and to help and we want to help you to be safe and off the streets. We hope this helps.
    Sincerely, NRS

Guest replied
    I’m 15 and I ran away from home for many reasons. I lived with my dad and sister but my dad had issues. He used and sold cocaine, he would drink a lot. There would be times where he wouldn’t come home for days and wouldn’t even bother asking if we were okay. He had anger issues and hit me. The last day of school I went with bruises on my face that I tried to cover up with makeup. I’m honestly terrified of him and I really don’t want to go back. I’ve been gone for maybe a little more than two months and he barely filed a report. I don’t know if I should tell the cops why I left. I’m scared they’ll take me back to him.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod10
    Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Helpline. We are not legal experts, but we will do our best to help you.

You asked about what might happen if you run away from home. Since you are considered a minor, your mom might choose to file a runaway report with the police. However, the police will decide what to do based on your specific situation. You stated that your mom has been hitting you. Please know that it is not okay for anyone to hurt you. If you are in an unsafe situation, you can call 911 for help. You can also report what has been happening at home. Another resource is Child Help, which is the National Child Abuse Hotline, and they specialize in helping children who are being physically, mentally, and verbally abused. Their phone number is 1-800-422-4453 and their website is childhelp.org. You stated that you have a family member who will take you in, so if you are not comfortable calling these numbers on your own, an option might be for your family member to help you. The National Runaway Safeline is open 24/7 and we can help you to make the calls as well. Our phone number is 1-800-RUNAWAY.

Guest replied
    I am 15 and I will be 16 in 6 months. But my mom keep hitting me and using me as her built-in babysitter and slave lock me a room. Takes my phones and will not let y’all to anyone. If run away will be made go back? I have a family member to go that is willing to take me in and I am willing to get a job and go to school what will the cops do

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. If your girlfriend is a minor, her parents are entitled to file a runaway report on her with the police if she leaves without their permission. It is not illegal for her to run away and she will not be arrested for doing so. If the police encounter her, they are entitled to notify her guardians and return her home. Additionally, her parents would also be entitled to press charges against whomever she was staying with for harboring a minor. While we are not legal experts, that is usually considered a misdemeanor offense. If you have any other questions or want to discuss this situation further, please don’t hesitate to call us on our 24/7 hotline at 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi, I’m not the runaway but what if my girlfriend ran away to my place and lived with me there bc her parents won’t let her see me

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hello There,
    Thank you for contacting The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through an incredibly difficult time right now. We are sorry that your mother left without informing you or your sister, you both did not deserve that.
    We are not legal experts but we do have some information on the laws. If you were to leave your father does have the right to file a runaway report. If the police do find you they most likely would bring you back home. Your dad may be frustrated and saying he will make your life bad because he may be hurt as well and people have different ways of showing sadness and hurt.
    What you are going through can be really hard and you may need someone to help you through this process. One option to consider is talking to a friend or family member you trust or maybe just doing something with them to keep your mind off things. Another option to consider is talking to a therapist or a school counselor about what is going on. Another resource that may help you is called NAMI, which is the national alliance on mental illnesses. They can provide you with counseling referrals and can be reached at 1800-950-NAMI.
    We want you to know that you are not alone in this and there is always someone willing to talk and provide support and listen to you. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support. Please call us if you have any more questions or would like to explore your options. We wish you the best of luck!
    NRS

Guest replied
    i’m 16, my step dad tells me if i leave he’s going to make my life hell. my mom left 2 days without informing neither my sister of i. i’m not sure what to do i’m very hurr

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod10
    Thank you for reaching out to us and telling us your story. It sounds like you are going through a very difficult time right now and we hope to be able to help. We are sorry to hear that things at home are not going the way you would like them to. It can be frustrating feeling like no one hears your side of the story. One service we can offer is to conference call with your parents. This way you could have a conversation with your parents but you would not be alone. For example, it may be hard for you to explain to your parents how you feel about them and what is going on with you. Sometimes those conversations go better in a conference call because we can advocate for you.

We’re not legal experts here at NRS. Generally it’s not illegal to leave home, but your parents could file a runaway report, the police could get involved, and they could bring you home. The people you’re staying with could potentially get in trouble for harboring a runaway if you parents choose to pursue charges. You could consider calling your local nonemergency police department to ask about their policies. We also have legal aid resources here if you have specific questions about the laws in your state. Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do. If you need to get away and not sure where to go, Nationalsafeplace.org provides a safe location for you to meet a staff member who can take you to a designated place where you can discuss all options about how to stay safe. You can text 44357 the word “safe,” and your locationto find a safe location in your area. Once you arrive let someone who works there know you need help connecting with a staff member.

Your mental health is very important and it sounds like music has been a great way for you to cope with all the things that have been going on. Another great resource for support is To Write Love On Her Arms or TWLOHA.com. If you think there’s any chance you might hurt yourself or someone else, please call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline at 800.273.8255 or 911 to talk to someone right away.

Again, thank you for contacting us. It sounds like you’ve been going through a really hard time, but you’ve shown a lot of strength by working through these challenges and reaching out for help. If you would like to share more, please feel free to call our 24 hour hotline at 1-800Runaway (786-2929) or use our live chat. We hope this information was helpful and take care.

Guest replied
    I am a eleven year old female in Virginia and I am thinking of running away. I do care about my family, well kinda but I just feel like I don’t belong here. My mum never really allows me to walk around the neighborhood alone which makes me miserable and disappointed. I have done self-harm in the past and have a minor health issue. ( High cholesterol ) I’m body-shamed and I just want to feel freedom. I heard about kidnapping around my area, about 4-7 maybe 6 months ago and I feel like running away isn’t a good idea because like.. who knows if there are criminals out there. I don’t have any cash for food, but I have a spare backpack. About not having food if I run away, I can finish a day without much food anyways. I want to run away because I feel like my parents don’t know what’s going on about how i’m feeling with them, but if I tell them i’m sure they’ll give me a lecture for wanting to runaway or something. My mother isn’t the best, not like abusive. I know I cope with bad things happening easily and I get over things quickly, I once yelled ( shouted ) at my mum, saying “ I would call the police on you, but you are my mother so I can’t! “ I’m physically strong for my age and can carry a 15-20 weigh but I don’t feel like.. confident to call the police. I’m definitely over-weight and I share a email with my mother, so I can’t really call or text sadly otherwise she’ll question it, I do have Snapchat, heh. I feel like the only person ( or thing ) who can really comfort me is music and my best friend since 3rd grade. Music calms me down and well, my bestie knows me well and I miss her. I want to runaway at night, but I don’t have flashlights. I wear headphones to listen to music and my mother is sick of me wearing it, so I want to just escape for this misery immediately, but also school is starting and I need education so just help me out. I need guidance quick, and thank you.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod16
    Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you’ve been going through such a tough time. That sounds so hurtful and stressful to be going through this and to be moving from state to state. We are here to support you and help you in any way we can.

We’re not legal experts here at NRS. In general, custody decisions are made in courts, so your grandparents would most likely have to go through a legal process to gain custody. We have some free legal aid resources that you could reach out to and learn more about specific laws and processes in your state. If you want to learn more about these resources, you can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929) or chat with us online through 1800RUNAWAY.org.

If you haven’t already, you could consider reaching out to a trusted adult, relative, worker/teacher/counselor at your school for help and support. You could also consider talking to your parents about how you’ve been feeling or having another trusted adult help you talk with them. Just so you’re aware, we have a conference calling service here where we could help mediate a conversation between you and your parents.

There are also many resources that could help you with anything else you may need. If you want to talk more about what’s been going on, or if you would like more information about resources, you can call us or chat with us online.

Again, thank you for contacting us. It sounds like you’ve been going through a really hard time, but you’ve shown a lot of strength by working through these challenges and reaching out for help. If you ever need anything in the future, please feel free to call us or chat with us online. We’re always here to listen and here to help.

Guest replied
    Hi i want to get away from home my dad doesn't want me so I ranaway to my mom in another state just to find out she doesn't want me also. I want to go to my grandma and grandpa. They want to take care of me but my dad who has custody of me doesn't want me to go there he's mad at them, he isolates me from them, I don't want to go back to my dad's house what should I do, how can my grandparents help me.

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X