No announcement yet.

What are the consequences of a 15 year old running away

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to run away from home. They aren’t supportive and they yell at me for every little thing I do wrong, most nights I sleep with tears in my eyes. They said they’d kick me out if I’m part of the lgbtq so there is no point in staying if they are going to kick me out anyways.

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for reaching out to us. We’re so sorry to hear that things at home have been so difficult. It sounds like whomever you’re living with has not been supportive of you, and have threatened to kick you out if you identify as LGBTQ, and you’re contemplating running away as an option. We want you to know that we are here to support you, and we will share as much information as we can to help you figure out your next steps.

We’re not legal experts, but from what we do understand, the consequences of running away depend on whether you’re considered a legal adult in your state. In most states, the legal age of adulthood is 18 years old, but there are a few states where this is not the case. If you are considered an adult, you would need to find a safe place to go if your parents/legal guardians kick you out. Some youth turn to friends or other family members for support, and others explore shelters and transitional housing. If you are considered a minor and you run away, your parents or legal guardians have the right to file a runaway report with your local police department. What happens with this report can vary from state to state, and they may actively look for you, or they may not. If they do look for you, and they find you, they typically return you to your legal guardian or have your legal guardian pick you up. Anyone that you stay with can potentially be charged with harboring a runaway or aiding and abetting a minor. If are a minor and your parents or legal guardians kick you out, you have the option of informing your local police that they are refusing to house you. Whether you leave or they kick you out, a good place to call to get more information on how this might be handled in your city/town is your local police department’s non-emergency number.

Places like the LGBT National Hotline, available at 888.843.4564 and www.glbthotlineorg , as well as LGBT National Youth Talkline, available at 800.246.7743, are great sources of support for LGBTQ youth. If you’d like more information, or you’d like to discuss what’s going on at home, please feel free to reach out to us. We won’t tell you what to do, but we will do our best to help you explore your options so that you stay safe regardless of what you decide. We are available 24/7 by phone at 1.800. RUNAWAY (786.2929), & everyday via chat. We’re here to listen, here to help. Stay safe!
      -NRS

• My brother ran away with a girl .they both are 15year old. The girl's parents have come Nd posted an alligation on us that we have supported our child to run away.
    what are the consequences if he will be found today or not by today.what could be the punishment for him and us too .
    Plzzzzzzzzz reply

Comment

• ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.

While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. Since he is under 18 and has left home with the girl, her parent/guardian may file her as a runaway and she may be returned home. IF her parents are trying to post and allegation that you aided in the support of a runaway, you and your family may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,
      NRS

• Hey, I’m 15 and I just want to run away from my mom. She’s always really sensitive to little things I do or say, that being said she gets mad easily. She just gets me so irritated I sometimes just want to run away from her specifically, she doesn’t know how to set boundaries now that I’m 15. She never knew how to set boundaries when I became a teenager! I’ve planned on running away and thought of the consequences also. Like what would I do after running away... where would I go, or what I would do. She got mad at me for saying “I was asking so and so, not you” then she threw a whole tantrum on how I don’t listen to her or whatnot. That just makes me so irritated, and I’m already kind of a rebellious kid because my parents don’t acknowledge me as a young adult. I’m a good kid, but they always treat me like my younger brothers and sisters. It just makes me so mad how they don’t treat me as a teen. I just want to run away from all of that sometimes.

Comment

• ccsmod16
      ccsmod16 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,

Thanks so much for reaching out to us. We are so sorry to hear that living with your mom has been so challenging. It sounds like the fact that your parents continue to treat you like a child makes it really difficult to want to stay home. We can see how having so many clashes with your mom can be frustrating, and we think it’s great that you’re asking for help.

It sounds like you’ve given some thought to the steps you might take if you decided to run away. We encourage you to continue brainstorming a plan to keep yourself safe if you do decide to leave. Going beyond where you’d go and what you’d do, to consider how long you might be gone for, and what you might do to keep yourself safe while you’re gone. Beyond that, it may help to consider steps that your parents might take if you decide to leave. We’re not legal experts, but from what we do understand, if you are considered a minor in your state, your parent or legal guardian decides where you live. If you leave without their consent, then your parent/legal guardian has the right to file a runaway report with your local police department. What happens after that depends on how your local police department chooses to handle the report. If your local police is willing to look for you, and they come to your boyfriend’s family home, they would most likely return you to your parent/legal guardian. The best way to confirm how your local police department would handle runaway reports is to call them at their non-emergency number. You do not have to share any identifying information to ask questions of the local police, and if you’re nervous about calling them, we encourage you to give us a call and we can help conference call out to local police with you.

Whatever you decide, know that we are here to support you. We will not tell you what to do, but we will do our best to help you stay safe regardless of what you decide. Please feel free to give us a call 24/7 at 1.800.RUNAWAY (786.2929), or send us a chat. We’re here to listen, here to help. Stay safe!

-NRS

• I don’t have a dad, I don’t live with my mom. My grandparents have my custody. But they fight a lot verbally and physically, my grandpa has hit my grandma before so many times and she has bruises. He has slapped me and hit me a lot of times. I hate him sometimes. But my grandma doesn’t call the cops on him because she can’t drive. I wuv want to run away. I have depression and anxiety, I get stressed easily and I hate this. I’ve been traumatized since I was 5 and I want to live with my mom but I can’t because she doesn’t have her papers. I want to run away to somewhere we’re i can be free and where I won’t be judged. I want to go with my mom.

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. First off we want to say that abuse whether its physical, sexual, emotional or verbal, it is never okay and you do not deserve it and do have the right to report it. We want you to know that you do have the right to make a report with Child Protective Services. Child Help USA is an information and referral line that can connect you with your local CPS abuse hotline. That number is 1-800-422-4453. We understand that making an abuse report can be intimidating so if you like we can call together to provide support.
      You deserve to feel safe and comforted at home. It is completely understandable that you would want to live with your mother, it sounds like she is a person of great support. Unfortunately since your grandparents have custody there are really only three ways to change that the first and the easiest would be for your grandparents to surrender their rights over to either your mother or Child Protective Services. Another thing that could be attempted, would be for your mother to go to court to try to get her rights restored. Then finally would be for Child Protective Services to remove your grandparent’s rights due to either abuse or neglect.
      We understand that these can seem like daunting task but it might be beneficial to talk to your mother so you can come up with a plan together. It has to be really difficult to love in a place where there is so much violence. We hope that this information was helpful to you. If you have any follow-up questions pleas give us a call anytime 1-800-786-2929
      Best wishes,
      NRS

• I am fifteen years old and i want to run away. I hate it here because none of my family seem to care about me that much. They never pay much attention to me and im pretty sure i have depression and anxiety. I live in alabama could i get in bad trouble for running away?

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry to hear that your family is treating you in a way that makes you feel like they do not care about you. You deserve to be treated with love and support especially if you are struggling with mental health issues like depression and anxiety. While we are not legal experts, we do have a great deal of experience working with runaways. It is our understanding that it is not illegal to run away. You will not get arrested for it or charged with a crime. However, your parents do still have the right to file a runaway report with the police if you do leave without their permission. What that means is that if the police encounter you, they would be entitled to notify your guardians and then return you home. If you were to get into any trouble it is far more likely that it would be with your parents than it would be with the police. If you want to talk more about what’s going on and how we can support you, please don’t hesitate to call us on our 24/7 hotline 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
      NRS

• hi, i’m 15 years old and i am planning to run away. my home environment is not healthy and cannot be fixed. i want to run away, i have relatives that would take me in to live there, can i leave? would the police make me go back home?

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,
      Thank you for contacting us at the National Runaway Safeline today. We’re sorry to hear that you’re dealing with such a difficult situation at home. You ask if you can leave home without your parent or guardian’s permission. While we’re not legal experts, we can tell you that the age of majority in most states is 18; that’s the age at which you can legally move out on your own. If you parent or guardian filed a runaway report the police could find you and bring you home. That being said, we’re not here to tell you what to do but it’s important for you to consider how you would keep yourself safe.
      You say you have relatives you could stay with. You may want to consider talking with them and with your parent or guardian to see if you all can come to an agreement. This would eliminate to likelihood that a runaway report would be filed.
      You can call us to talk about the specifics of your situation, and we can try to help you find a solution or strategy to help you out. We are available 24 hours a day/7 days a week, and our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We hope to hear from you soon.
      Take care,
      NRS

• I want to run away because I know we can’t afford to take my father to court. I’m 15 and going into my sophomore year of high school and I just can’t handle being insulted by my sister...I turned to self harm and nobody took me to get help. My mother has been there for me through thick and thin but she can’t do much. I’ve been through sexual assault and dealing with bully’s I feel like I should take responsibility of myself instead of waiting for someone else to make decisions for me. I’m afraid of getting caught and where I would stay. With these reasons if I were to get caught do you think the police would take me home?

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi, thank you for reaching out to us; we are glad that you did. It sounds like you are going through a lot between being insulted by your sister and dealing with other bullies. Thank you for telling us about the really hard things: turning to self harm and surviving sexual assault. Everything you’ve told us deserves our time and attention. We are glad that your mom has been there for you through thick and thin because that is the support and relationship that you deserve.

It is admirable that you want to take responsibility for yourself, you sound like a very strong and amazing person, but at 15 it is more difficult to run away and remain safe. If your mom files a runaway report and the police find you, they would likely return you home. Your first sentence about your father and taking him to court is something that we can talk about with you, as there is no way to tell what you mean. If your father is hurting you or your family, we can help you to be safe from him.

We want you to be safe and off the streets and we would also like to talk more about what your life has been like.
      We hope this helps know that we are here for you to talk this all through. You can reach us either through our telephone hotline at 1-800-runaway (1-800-786-2929) or our live chat through the website 1800runaway.org We are here for you 24/7 to listen and to help.

Sincerely, NRS

• So my cousin ran away but if I keep here at my house will I get in trouble or my mom, Because she is family after all

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out NRS. We are not legal experts by any means, but we can share some general information. When a minor leaves home without permission, their guardian has the right to file a runaway report. Running away is not illegal, but the police will likely bring the youth back home. If a runaway report was filed for your cousin, then her parents could press harboring a runaway charges against your mom. Harboring a runaway is usually a misdemeanor. If your cousins parents gave permission for her to stay with you then there would not necessarily be any police intervention. it could be helpful to reach out to your cousin’s parents and let them know that your cousin is safe and see if they would give permission for her to stay with you. The local police department will also know more about how runaway reports and harboring charges are handled in your area. You can call the non-emergency number to ask questions anonymously.

We are available 24/7 if you have any more concerns or need help with anything. Please give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 or chat with us at 1800runaway.org.

Good Luck!
      NRS

• hey im 15 about to be 16 both my parents died im in the middle of switching guardianships i dont like where i live i wanna run away and start a new life but i dont know how

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. What you’re going through sounds unimaginably difficult and we want you to know we are here if you ever need to talk to someone. It is understandable that you want to leave home right now and we would be happy to talk about what your options are. We can look for long term shelter programs or transitional living programs that may be able to house you for a while. We can also talk about who you could approach to take you in. If you are interested in sharing a little bit more about what’s going on, we would be happy to help you weigh the options. Please call us on our 24/7 hotline 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
      NRS

• Hi i want to get away from home my dad doesn't want me so I ranaway to my mom in another state just to find out she doesn't want me also. I want to go to my grandma and grandpa. They want to take care of me but my dad who has custody of me doesn't want me to go there he's mad at them, he isolates me from them, I don't want to go back to my dad's house what should I do, how can my grandparents help me.

Comment

• ccsmod16
      ccsmod16 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you’ve been going through such a tough time. That sounds so hurtful and stressful to be going through this and to be moving from state to state. We are here to support you and help you in any way we can.

We’re not legal experts here at NRS. In general, custody decisions are made in courts, so your grandparents would most likely have to go through a legal process to gain custody. We have some free legal aid resources that you could reach out to and learn more about specific laws and processes in your state. If you want to learn more about these resources, you can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929) or chat with us online through 1800RUNAWAY.org.

If you haven’t already, you could consider reaching out to a trusted adult, relative, worker/teacher/counselor at your school for help and support. You could also consider talking to your parents about how you’ve been feeling or having another trusted adult help you talk with them. Just so you’re aware, we have a conference calling service here where we could help mediate a conversation between you and your parents.

There are also many resources that could help you with anything else you may need. If you want to talk more about what’s been going on, or if you would like more information about resources, you can call us or chat with us online.

Again, thank you for contacting us. It sounds like you’ve been going through a really hard time, but you’ve shown a lot of strength by working through these challenges and reaching out for help. If you ever need anything in the future, please feel free to call us or chat with us online. We’re always here to listen and here to help.

• I am a eleven year old female in Virginia and I am thinking of running away. I do care about my family, well kinda but I just feel like I don’t belong here. My mum never really allows me to walk around the neighborhood alone which makes me miserable and disappointed. I have done self-harm in the past and have a minor health issue. ( High cholesterol ) I’m body-shamed and I just want to feel freedom. I heard about kidnapping around my area, about 4-7 maybe 6 months ago and I feel like running away isn’t a good idea because like.. who knows if there are criminals out there. I don’t have any cash for food, but I have a spare backpack. About not having food if I run away, I can finish a day without much food anyways. I want to run away because I feel like my parents don’t know what’s going on about how i’m feeling with them, but if I tell them i’m sure they’ll give me a lecture for wanting to runaway or something. My mother isn’t the best, not like abusive. I know I cope with bad things happening easily and I get over things quickly, I once yelled ( shouted ) at my mum, saying “ I would call the police on you, but you are my mother so I can’t! “ I’m physically strong for my age and can carry a 15-20 weigh but I don’t feel like.. confident to call the police. I’m definitely over-weight and I share a email with my mother, so I can’t really call or text sadly otherwise she’ll question it, I do have Snapchat, heh. I feel like the only person ( or thing ) who can really comfort me is music and my best friend since 3rd grade. Music calms me down and well, my bestie knows me well and I miss her. I want to runaway at night, but I don’t have flashlights. I wear headphones to listen to music and my mother is sick of me wearing it, so I want to just escape for this misery immediately, but also school is starting and I need education so just help me out. I need guidance quick, and thank you.

Comment

• ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to us and telling us your story. It sounds like you are going through a very difficult time right now and we hope to be able to help. We are sorry to hear that things at home are not going the way you would like them to. It can be frustrating feeling like no one hears your side of the story. One service we can offer is to conference call with your parents. This way you could have a conversation with your parents but you would not be alone. For example, it may be hard for you to explain to your parents how you feel about them and what is going on with you. Sometimes those conversations go better in a conference call because we can advocate for you.

We’re not legal experts here at NRS. Generally it’s not illegal to leave home, but your parents could file a runaway report, the police could get involved, and they could bring you home. The people you’re staying with could potentially get in trouble for harboring a runaway if you parents choose to pursue charges. You could consider calling your local nonemergency police department to ask about their policies. We also have legal aid resources here if you have specific questions about the laws in your state. Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do. If you need to get away and not sure where to go, Nationalsafeplace.org provides a safe location for you to meet a staff member who can take you to a designated place where you can discuss all options about how to stay safe. You can text 44357 the word “safe,” and your locationto find a safe location in your area. Once you arrive let someone who works there know you need help connecting with a staff member.

Your mental health is very important and it sounds like music has been a great way for you to cope with all the things that have been going on. Another great resource for support is To Write Love On Her Arms or TWLOHA.com. If you think there’s any chance you might hurt yourself or someone else, please call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline at 800.273.8255 or 911 to talk to someone right away.

Again, thank you for contacting us. It sounds like you’ve been going through a really hard time, but you’ve shown a lot of strength by working through these challenges and reaching out for help. If you would like to share more, please feel free to call our 24 hour hotline at 1-800Runaway (786-2929) or use our live chat. We hope this information was helpful and take care.

• i’m 16, my step dad tells me if i leave he’s going to make my life hell. my mom left 2 days without informing neither my sister of i. i’m not sure what to do i’m very hurr

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello There,
      Thank you for contacting The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through an incredibly difficult time right now. We are sorry that your mother left without informing you or your sister, you both did not deserve that.
      We are not legal experts but we do have some information on the laws. If you were to leave your father does have the right to file a runaway report. If the police do find you they most likely would bring you back home. Your dad may be frustrated and saying he will make your life bad because he may be hurt as well and people have different ways of showing sadness and hurt.
      What you are going through can be really hard and you may need someone to help you through this process. One option to consider is talking to a friend or family member you trust or maybe just doing something with them to keep your mind off things. Another option to consider is talking to a therapist or a school counselor about what is going on. Another resource that may help you is called NAMI, which is the national alliance on mental illnesses. They can provide you with counseling referrals and can be reached at 1800-950-NAMI.
      We want you to know that you are not alone in this and there is always someone willing to talk and provide support and listen to you. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support. Please call us if you have any more questions or would like to explore your options. We wish you the best of luck!
      NRS

• Hi, I’m not the runaway but what if my girlfriend ran away to my place and lived with me there bc her parents won’t let her see me

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. If your girlfriend is a minor, her parents are entitled to file a runaway report on her with the police if she leaves without their permission. It is not illegal for her to run away and she will not be arrested for doing so. If the police encounter her, they are entitled to notify her guardians and return her home. Additionally, her parents would also be entitled to press charges against whomever she was staying with for harboring a minor. While we are not legal experts, that is usually considered a misdemeanor offense. If you have any other questions or want to discuss this situation further, please don’t hesitate to call us on our 24/7 hotline at 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
      NRS

• I am 15 and I will be 16 in 6 months. But my mom keep hitting me and using me as her built-in babysitter and slave lock me a room. Takes my phones and will not let y’all to anyone. If run away will be made go back? I have a family member to go that is willing to take me in and I am willing to get a job and go to school what will the cops do

Comment

• ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Helpline. We are not legal experts, but we will do our best to help you.

You asked about what might happen if you run away from home. Since you are considered a minor, your mom might choose to file a runaway report with the police. However, the police will decide what to do based on your specific situation. You stated that your mom has been hitting you. Please know that it is not okay for anyone to hurt you. If you are in an unsafe situation, you can call 911 for help. You can also report what has been happening at home. Another resource is Child Help, which is the National Child Abuse Hotline, and they specialize in helping children who are being physically, mentally, and verbally abused. Their phone number is 1-800-422-4453 and their website is childhelp.org. You stated that you have a family member who will take you in, so if you are not comfortable calling these numbers on your own, an option might be for your family member to help you. The National Runaway Safeline is open 24/7 and we can help you to make the calls as well. Our phone number is 1-800-RUNAWAY.

• I’m 15 and I ran away from home for many reasons. I lived with my dad and sister but my dad had issues. He used and sold cocaine, he would drink a lot. There would be times where he wouldn’t come home for days and wouldn’t even bother asking if we were okay. He had anger issues and hit me. The last day of school I went with bruises on my face that I tried to cover up with makeup. I’m honestly terrified of him and I really don’t want to go back. I’ve been gone for maybe a little more than two months and he barely filed a report. I don’t know if I should tell the cops why I left. I’m scared they’ll take me back to him.

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi, Thank you for reaching out to us; we are glad that you did. You do not deserve to live in a place where you are so unsafe. We are glad that you got away from your dad, but are concerned about your safety now. We hope that you might reach out to us to talk it over. You can also access www.nationalsafeplace.org from a cell phone. Look at the For Teens tab on their website to anonymously ask your questions. But from what you report, you are not safe at home.
      You can reach us 24/7 to talk this all over. You can call 1-800-786-2929 (1-800-RUNAWAY) or access our live chat via www.1800runaway.org
      We are here to listen and to help and we want to help you to be safe and off the streets. We hope this helps.
      Sincerely, NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X