X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod7
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hi, that sounds like a really hard situation, so thank you for reaching out to us today.

We’re not legal experts, but we can speak to what we usually see. Since you’re 15, if you were to go stay with your girlfriend, your dad could file a runaway report. If that happened, your name would be added to a database, and if the police were to find you, they’d bring you back home. While your girlfriend probably wouldn’t get in trouble, her parents or guardians could be charged with harboring a runaway if you stayed there. That being said, your safety is the most important thing and your dad does have a legal obligation to care for you, which includes providing you with food, so if you wanted to, you could file an abuse report if you aren’t getting food at home. If you’d like to do that you can call 1-800-422-4453, or if you don’t have access to a phone, you could go onto childhelp.org. You could also tell a teacher or counselor, and they would have to report from there.

If you ever want to talk through your options, we’re available 24/7 at 1-800-Runaway, you can also chat with us on our website.

Best,

NRS

Guest replied
    Hello, I'm 15 and i've wanted to run away for a very long time now. About almost 2 months ago i've gotten back together with my girlfriend who i previously dated for 6 months. My dad doesn't like this girl because she broke up with me. I kept the secret from him for about almost 2 months and just yesterday he's found out due to taking my phone in the middle of the night and searching through it. Since yesterday i've been told to stay in my room and I haven't eaten a thing since the day before yesterday. I want to leave and stay with my girlfriend but i'm scared that i i get caught that my dad will hurt me as in the past my mom tried to leave but she grabbed her and kept her from leaving. He did this right infront of me and i can't forget about it. He also has threaten to take my whole outside life away. He's already taken my phone, playstation. and any other contact to the outside besides my Laptop. I can still go to school but besides that i'm not allowed outside period. I want to leave but i'm afraid that my girlfriend would get introuble for housing a run away and may get charged. Many of my friends have agreed with her and I that it's my decision of who I want to be with and all he can do is list his opinion on it. Is there anyway out of this?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out to us, we know it takes a lot of courage to share your story. Unfortunately, we are not legal experts so we can't tell you the repercussions of violating parole. If you'd like, you can call 311 (nonemergency police) for information about local policy or talk to your parole officer directly for information about leaving home. If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hello im am 15 years old n im plaing on runaway again and im on probation for a year n if i runaway again that will be a warrant and im planning on hiding until i turn 18 willl they're be consequences

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. It must be really hard to have issues with your friend that make you want to leave home. It may be beneficial to talk with someone you trust like a parent, family member, school counselor/social worker about what's been going on with your friends. Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do.

You mentioned that you have previously had thoughts of suicide and have self-harmed in the past. We care a lot about your safety, and we can help you find resources that can help you cope with these feelings. You do not have to face this alone, and there is so much help out there for you. If you are thinking about hurting yourself, the National Suicide Hotline could be a good resource for you. You can check them out at https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/, or you can call 1-800-273-8255 for help and support any time.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi I am 15 year old girl and I want to run away bc of a situation with my friends (not parents), I will kill myself or injure myself more (I already self harm) if I stay here. I need help finding somewhere to stay in Boston, Massachusetts. I am considering and planning on leaving tomorrow night. I have looked up Youth on Fire and a Bridge Over troubled Waters but it is hard to find the info I need. I have 37 dollars saved for this and food and clothes

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Thank you so much for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline, we are here to listen and to help. It sounds like you are going through a lot; whatever you discuss with us is 100% confidential, always. It probably hurts to have to keep secrets from your family for fear that they will respond negatively. It's clear that you really care about this young lady. We are encouraged at National Runaway Safeline not to give advice to callers, but rather offer options and help make a plan that feels safe and secure for you. If you decide that running away is what you want to do, we could discuss things like where you would go, how you would find shelter, food & water, a bathroom, etc. We could also discuss what talking to your parents would look like. One of the things we offer at NRS is a conference call, whereby we would act as a liason between you and your parents, to help you discuss the things you want to talk about and have a support on the phone to help you do it. If talking through these things sounds desirable, please feel free to reach out to us either by phone or chat through our website- www.1800runaway.org, 1-800-RUNAWAY. Thanks again for reaching out, we're here to listen and to help!

Guest replied
    Hello, I'm 14 and a young lady, 15 in August. I might want to run away soon, I'm not sure. I love my family, and they love me. But, they take things badly. Like, if I get in trouble, they get angry. I have a relationship with a woman my age, three days apart. She is technically a male but she identifies as female. We might run away together if things get bad. I feel like my family doesn't trust me enough, the relationship is a secret between us two. In the future, we're definitely getting married. I just want to be happy and free without my family getting angry about me loving someone. They're possible homophobes and transphobes, and I don't want them to disown me for loving who I want to love. They feel so overprotective all of the I understand that they're just doing what they think is best for me and that they love me, and I'm afraid of telling them how I feel in fear of having things like my phone taken away or privileges of visiting my friends taken away. None of my friends or family would know about us running away in fear of being hunted down. I would leave my parents a note telling how much I love my family and why I've left. I just don't know what to do, I refuse to tell anyone how I feel because I know the consequences. Please help, give advice too. This is all a secret and I wish to keep anonymous. Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    replied
    Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you do not know what to do, though you certainly know what you want. Good for you for reaching out for help. We want to be here for you in any way we can.

It must be difficult to be getting such a hard time from Dad, and to not have Mom believe you and support you. You deserve to feel heard and taken care of at home. From your message, it seems that you know how to take care of yourself, and that if you were to runaway you could sustain yourself and be safe. These are important things to consider when contemplating running away. You bring up another important thing to consider, which is the legality of running away. If your parents do report you as a runaway, the police will be obligated to make a good faith effort to find you and bring you back home. Perhaps to get around this, you can talk to your parents about your thoughts. If you are able to get their consent to live in this other place, it would remove you from the potential of having the police involved. Maybe introducing the idea as a temporary solution would make them more understanding and willing to consent. You can also consider the process of emancipation, though this is a very long and involved process. If you want, you can call us to explore this option as well as other alternatives.

We know it is not easy to feel like are without help, but we hope we were able to support you through a process of healthy decision making. If you are looking for more ideas, you can always call us. Our number is 1-800-RUN-AWAY. We are open 24/7, and are here to listen and help. Good luck on your journey.

Sincerely,
    National Runaway Safeline

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Im 16 years old , i live in South Carolina , my dad is giving me a hard time right now , he has been to be honest . I need to leave , i want to runaway , i have a job , money , i even have a place to stay at if i do runaway . But i dont know what to do , my dad knows where i work , what school i go to . my mom isnt doing anything but believing anything my dad says about me , they are tag teaming on me and i just dont want to be there nomore and hear my dad talk sh** about me or to me anymore , how can i legally move out without them getting me back home , becuase if i runaway from home , and the cops bring me back home , there aint no telling what my dad would do to me . what should i do ? i turn 17 in 9 months but i cant wait that long . i need help .

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hello,

Thanks ever so much for reaching out to us. It sounds like things have gotten really tough for you at home, and you are thinking about leaving, but you’re unsure of where to stay and how to get to where you want to go. It’s really brave of you to reach out to us, and we want you to know that it is never ok for anyone in your household to be physically aggressive towards you. With that said, we can go over your options with you in this reply, but we encourage you to give us a call or send us a chat if you can if you need additional information.

Your options for where to stay really depend on whether you’re considered a minor in your state. One of your options is a youth shelter, but if you’re considered a minor, they will require parent or legal guardian consent in order to allow you to stay there. A friend is also an option, but it sounds like that would require someone giving you a ride, or finding public transportation to get you there. Depending on your age, Greyhound may require a parent or legal guardian to ride with you if you want to use their services.

We’re not legal experts, but if you are considered a minor, your parent or legal guardian would have the right to file a runaway report if you left without their consent. The police may or may not actively look for you, but if they do come across you, they would typically bring you back to your parents or have your parents pick you up. Regarding school, If you’re planning on continuing to go to school where you are currently enrolled, they may or may not look for you there if they suspect you’ll go. You do have the right to go to school, and if you decide to go to another school, the McKinney-Vento act details your rights as a youth to receive an education. You can find more information here: https://www2.ed.gov/policy/elsec/leg/esea02/pg116.html

Finally, we want you to know that it is never acceptable for your parents to physically hurt you. You are not alone, and we are here for you if you would like to talk about what’s been going on, as well as your options regarding the physical fights. You have the right to report what goes on to your local child protective services. If you don’t know how to reach them, Child Help, available at 800.422.4453, www.childhelp.org , are there to support you.

Whatever you decide, know that we are here for you. You can reach out to us 24/7 by phone at 800.RUNAWAY (786.2929). We are also available every day via chat. We’re here to listen, here to help. Stay safe!

-NRS

• ccsmod15
    Thanks for reaching out. It sounds like you're in a tough situation. It's great that you're taking steps to find a supportive environment.

FYI, we are not legal experts at NRS. But our understanding is that it's not illegal to run away. It's a status offense. If a youth runs, their guardian can file a runaway report. If they do that, the police's job is to return the youth to their guardians.

Sometimes guardians don't file those, and youth can find stability living with another family. Runaways have a right to go to school wherever they are.

If your situation at home is verbally abusive, or neglectful, you could also consider making an abuse report. If you want to explore this option without committing to anything, you could call Child Help at 1-800-422-4453. They are mandated reporters, so if you give your name, and report any abuse, they have to file a report. But if you call anonymously, you can talk about what you're dealing with, and they can describe next steps.

Also, if a guardian allows it, a youth can live elsewhere. This can help give everyone space. So consider if an arrangement like this might help in your situation.

If you do move to this other adult's house, reflect on if you trust them, and maybe think about talking about ground rules for the both of you, so it can be a safe and comfortable environment for everyone. Also, consider having a support network: people you can call to vent, and people can reach out to if the situation changes and you need to leave.

Guest replied
    hi my parents and i had gotten into many loud and physical fights i want to leave for a week or two but still go to school because of many reasons. I dotn know where i would stay my best friend is miles away from me i really want to leave. If i do where is a good place to go and how would i get there i have my go bag ready with a tent in it

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    We’re not legal experts here at NRS. Generally it’s not illegal to leave home, but your mom could file a runaway report, the police could get involved, and they could bring you home. The people you’re staying with could potentially get in trouble for having you stay there. You could consider calling your local nonemergency police department to ask about their policies. We also have legal aid resources here if you have specific questions about the laws in your state.

If you haven’t already, you could consider reaching out to a trusted adult, relative, worker/teacher/counselor at your school for help and support. You could also consider talking to your mom about how you’ve been feeling or having another trusted adult help you talk with her. Just so you’re aware, we have a conference calling service here where we could help mediate a conversation between you and your mom.

You mentioned some struggles with a panic attack and mental health concerns. If you want further information about mental health resources, you could check out the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA); 1-877-726-4727; samhsa.gov; findtreatment.samhsa.gov/.

There are also many resources that could help you with anything else you may need. If you want to talk more about what’s been going on, or if you would like more information about resources, you can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929) or chat with us online.

Again, thank you for contacting us. It sounds like you’ve been going through a really hard time, but you’ve shown a lot of strength by working through these challenges and reaching out for help. If you ever need anything in the future, please feel free to call us or chat with us online. We’re always here to listen and here to help.

Guest replied
    What happens if you run away and you're 15, and you don't feel mentally safe at home. And you run to another adults house to escape the situation at home?

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X