X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod6
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. The way that your parents are forcing you to live sounds stifling, unfair, and unhealthy. We would be happy to help you look for somewhere else you could live or talk about what kind of options you have. We do have a database of shelter resources around the country that we can look through for you. You are definitely welcome to call the police if you feel like the situation you are in is dangerous, though what they can do might be limited. With regards to getting into trouble, it is NOT illegal to run away. Unless you are doing something illegal as a runaway or if you have a history with law enforcement, you should not be arrested or charged with anything if you run away. Your parents can file a runaway report with the police if you do leave, but that would just mean that the police would notify your guardian and take you home if they encounter you. If you want to ask anything else or talk about what you can do right now, please call us at 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I'm 15, my parents are trying to send me to a mental hospital, and maybe even put me back in foster care. I'm trying to get to Florida from Texas. My parents are definitely gonna file the report. But they took away my happiness and now they're taking my hard earned money. Also I'm not allowed to go out anymore like I can't have human contact, I'm home schooled and can't even go to the store with them the only human contact I have is when I walk my neighbors dog which I get payed for by him. Is there a shelter I could go? Or could I go to the cops without getting into trouble? I don't want to live here anymore so could I call someone other than a hotline? I need to leave and I'm going to leave I just need to know if I'll get in trouble or where I could go since I don't have a place

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.
    Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
    If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best
    We hope to hear from you soon.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I'm always being blamed and put down at home. I'm 15 and I want to go to CA to see my gf. I'm tired of torturing myself

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    See our comments above.

• ccsmod15
    Hi there,

We're so sorry you're having a tough time with your parents, even to the point of attempting suicide. Most importantly, we do want you to be safe. If you ever are feeling like killing yourself again we hope you can reach out either to us at 1-800-RUNAWAY or the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255. Or, if you are in immediate danger, just dial 911.

It sounds like you are thinking about running away. That's certainly a big decision and it's great you are reaching out to us to get some information and support. Just so you know, running away is not a crime but it is a status offense. So, in and of itself, you can't get arrested simply for running away. But you can be detained by police until they release you to your parents. More seriously, anyone you stay with could be accused of harboring a runaway, which is a crime. We don't tell anyone what to do, but you should at least know this before you make a decision.

Perhaps there is a way to make the situation a bit better that doesn't include running away. Or, even if you do decide to run, we are here to help support you in any way we can. The best way for us to do that is if you give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We have a large database of resources, things like counselors, shelters, and the like. Another option would be to call us and we could act as mediators in a conference call between you and your parents. We wouldn't take sides, but we would advocate that you be respectfully heard and try to work with you and your parents to come to some resolution that is agreeable to all.

We hope to hear from you soon. You could also chat with us by clicking on the chat feature on the main page of our website: https://www.1800runaway.org/

Again: stay safe!

NRS

Guest replied
    hpw do you see what you have wrote

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I'm 15 and I recently got into some big trouble with my parents and I tried to kill myself and now I'm in even bigger trouble with my dad and I have been thinking about running away for a couple of days. I was going to do it after school but I didn't know if I could get arrested. I tried to go to a family member home and stay there for a while but my dad won't let me and they live too far to go myself. so I decided my only option was to leave myself and possibly stay at a friends house. I don't know what to do. my dad took away my phone and I would like to have it before I leave so I contact in an emergency but there is no way I could get it from him

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hey there,

Thanks for reaching out to us; it's very brave of you to open up about personal stuff like this. It also sounds like you really want help. That shows you care about your life, and that's so important. You're also very self-aware. We are here to help in whatever way we can.

Of course, we can't tell you what to do, but we can explore some options with you to help you figure out what YOU want to do. Even though we are not therapists, it sounds like you are having some issues with anxiety right now. It's too bad your parents are not taking your request for help more seriously. It's understandable that you might want to escape a situation that is not working for you right now.

Running away is a really big decision with lots of questions to answer. Questions like: How will I support myself? Where will I live? How will my family react? What about school? On top of all that, keep in mind that there is no guarantee that running away will solve the anxiety you are feeling around other people. It's possible the anxiety could even become worse because of all the uncertainties involved with running away.

Ultimately, you can decide how you will handle this situation. Some other possibilities might be: talking to a friend or adult you trust about what you're going through, mentioning the feelings you have to a school counselor or teacher, or giving us a call. In fact, calling us is the best way we can help you figure out what you'd like to do. We have a large database of resources: counselors, shelters, other hotlines, etc. In some states you may even be able to meet with a counselor for a certain number of sessions without your parent's knowing. Of course, we can just talk as well. We are okay with just listening, and are confidential and non-judgmental. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY and we're here 24/7. If you feel more comfortable chatting, you can use our chatroom by visiting our main webpage: www.1800runaway.org and clicking on the chat feature at the top of the page.

We hope to hear from you soon. Good luck and stay safe!

NRS

Guest replied
    Hi I’ve been thinking about running away because I have a pretty big problem with being around people, including my family. In big groups or conversations I get all tremble-y and my pulse rises, then my mind just goes blank. I feel like nowhere is safe. I’ve tried to address this to my parents but they refuse to take action. I’m not sure if it’s Social Anxiety Disorder or anything, but I’m finding it hard to withstand and I’m beginning to develop a fear of my brother. I just want to get away from it all and restart. I’m not sure if running away is the option I’m looking for, but I’m still looking into it. I’ve never done a forum or anything before, so I hope I am doing this right. I’m confused, so what do I do?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    Hi there,

We are really glad you reached out to NRS for help. Abuse of any kind is not okay, and it is completely understandable you would want to leave home if you are not feeling safe.

We are not legal experts, but we can share some general information. If you leave home without permission, your parents do have the right to file a runaway report. Running away is not illegal and you would not be arrested. It means that if the police know where you are, they will return you home. It is a possibility that your parents could try charging your friend's parents with harboring a runaway. From what we know these charges are rare and usually only happen when people lie to the parents or the police about housing someone who was reported as a runaway.

Since you mentioned that your family is abusive, you are able to file an abuse report. It can be an intimidating decision to make and we are always available if you want to talk to someone more about it. If you would like to go this route or you just want some more information about what the reporting process looks like, you can call the national child abuse hotline at 1-800-422-4453 or go to www.childhelp.org.

Please do not hesitate to call us at 1-800-786-2929 or chat with us through our website if you want to talk more about your situation and explore your options.

Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    um im 15 and im ready to run away from a very abusive family, if i were to run away and stay with a friend who is also a minor with his parents, what trouble could the parents get into even if they were just trying to help or thought i was just there for vacation or something?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod10
    Thanks for reaching out. It sounds like you’re coping with a very difficult living situation. Before we answer your question, please know that abuse is never okay, and you deserve to live a safe and happy life without fear of abuse. You may consider filing an abuse report by calling Child Help at 1-800-422-4453 or contacting them online at childhelp.org. If you have questions about that we’d be happy to help. We can even file the abuse report on your behalf if you’d prefer to contact us.

We will try our best to answer your question, but please understand we are not legal experts. Typically, what happens when you run away from home is that it’s considered a status offense rather than a crime. Depending on your state and even your local law enforcement, if you are picked up as a runaway, you could be punished and returned to your home.
    Although it is rare, if you are staying with an adult (such as your best friend’s parents), they could be charged with a crime called harboring a runaway. This doesn’t happen very often but it is a possibility.

Unfortunately, it’s impossible to say what will happen, but these are some of the possibilities. If you want to make a plan to stay safe, or even if you just have more questions or want to talk, please don’t hesitate to contact us through our live chat or call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY.

Guest replied
    I’m 15 and I’m emotionally abused at home and was going down a bad path but I met my bestfriend that really motivates me to do be better. I have been doing better with her help but my grandma hates seeing me happy and doing better. She told me she would call the cops on me if I go there. I go over there when me and her get into big fights and she’s hates it. I cant handle it anymore and I’m planing to run away to my bestfriends but I don’t want to get her or her mom in trouble with the cops.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod16
    Thank you for reaching out to NRS, we will be happy to help in the best way that we can. We’re sorry to hear about what’s been going on! It must be really stressful dealing with such a tough situation. We really appreciate you coming to us for help, if you were to leave with your girlfriend and your parents were to file a runaway report considering your age you are still a minor therefore your parents are legally responsible for you. If a report was filed and you were found by police there is the possibility that you could get sent back to live with your parents. You’ve mentioned that you don’t want your brother to move back in, we understand how stressful that must be but we have to understand that we cannot change what other people want to do but it could be a good option to have this conversation with your parents and let them know about how him moving in makes you feel. If you don’t feel comfortable doing that by yourself, here at NRS we have the option called conference calling and what that would look like is you would call out to us (1-800-RUNAWAY) and we would set up a 2 way call between you and your parents that would be mediated by one of our trained staff to make sure that the call is kept calm, constructive and professional.
    All the best,
    NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X