Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Hi I’m 19 and I plan on leaving my home bc it doesn’t fell like home anymore I have two siblings who are both 15 year of age and they wanna leave also will I who is 19 have any charges against her.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hello! Thank you so much for reaching out.

You mentioned that you want to know what the consequences of a 15 year old running away are. You’re really brave for wanting to know what consequences if any lay ahead. Running away is not a crime. We’re not legal experts, but in most states anyone under 18 is considered a minor. If you were to leave your home without parental consent, your guardians can file a runaway report with the authorities and whoever you end up staying with, may face some charges for harboring a runaway. To know more about runaway laws in your city and state, you can contact your local non-emergency number and inquire anonymously.

We hope these resources have been of some use to you. If you need additional help, or want us to make a call to another organization on your behalf, feel free to reach out to us anytime at 1800) 786-2929. Best of luck!

Guest replied
    What if i run away at age 15 what will happen will i go to jail?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod0
    It looks like you might have contacted NRS today through another means (for example, live chat, email or bulletin) for the same issue. Thank you for contacting us. NRS understands it takes courage to reach out for help; therefore, we would like to minimize the need for you to repeat your situation and avoid offering you duplicate services. Please call or chat us again if your situation changes or if you have more questions or concerns, or if you need additional support. We are here for you: 1-800-RUNAWAY; www.1800runaway.org.

We are not legal experts. You may want to reach out to TSA or your local police department to determine the consequences of this in your area.

Best of luck,
    NRS
    Last edited by ccsmod0; 12-19-2019, 03:43 AM.

Guest replied
    Hi I’m 15 but will be 16 soon. I’ve been engaged for awhile now and can’t stand to live with my family anymore they’ve been quite abusive and I’m not happy here and mentally tormented. If I leave the country with my fiancé could I be arrested if I return?
    I’m 15 going to be 16 and wanting to leave the country with my fiancé. I’m been mentally, emotionally and physically abused and tormented from my family and I am just not in a livable situation. Could I be arrested if I come back to the country? Or can I be arrested in the country I arrive in?
    Last edited by ccsmod0; 12-19-2019, 03:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod0
    Hey there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.

While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.

You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. They can tell you more about how CPS could respond to your situation. If you ever need assistance calling out to CPS to make an abuse or neglect report please call is at 1-800-RUNAWAY.

We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I've been in a home i hate since being adopted at the age of 6 (im 15 ill be 16 in less than two months). My parents treat me like crap. Recently i informed the school my dad shook me around and pushed me the ground hard enough to leave bruises from his fingertips. They alaways ground me because they think im a bad kid when im really not. I dont want to live with them anymore. Today they found the phone ive been using since im grouneded and they flipped out!! Ive comteplated leaving and running away to a friends house. What will happen to me if i do?

Hello, I'm 15, actually almost 16, and I am thinking of running away from home. I live in the U.S and I want to leave home because having parents of Asian heritage is extremely stressful to me. I'm trying to do better in school but somehow everyone does better and they have better lives than me. Please reply soon because I might go after Christmas. By the way, I have no place to stay and if I do run from home, I'll take some clothes, food, water, supplies and I'll just go wherever I can as I have no place to stay. Please reply soon! Thanks!
    Last edited by ccsmod0; 12-17-2019, 11:46 PM. Reason: two posts. combined into one. deleted second post.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hi,

Thanks for reaching out. It sounds like you’ve been going through a very hard time at home. No one deserves to be mistreated by anyone, least of all their parents. But we’re glad you reached out for some support. That takes a lot of courage.

The most important thing is that you’re safe. If you’ve been having thoughts of hurting yourself, you can always call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255. You can also call our crisis hotline anytime, 24/7, at 1-800-786-2929. Someone is always hear to listen and to help. If you’d rather not call, you can try our chat service at 1800runaway.org.

We’re sorry to hear your mom has been verbally abusive. If you’ve been abused, you always have the right to report that. For help with that process, you can call Child Help at 1-800-422-4453. Someone will be there to hear your story and to help. You can also call our crisis hotline if you want information or support with abuse reporting.

As for running away, it’s possible that your mom might file a report and that police would take you back home. You wouldn’t be breaking any laws, but the person you stay with could get charged with harboring a runaway. However, police might be less likely to intervene if they know that you’re in a safer environment than you were at home, i.e., if an abuse report is in place.

If you have any more questions or just want to talk, please don’t hesitate to give us a call. Thanks again for reaching out and we hope to hear from you soon.

Guest replied
    hi, im 15 years old and i’ve been planning on running away.

i live in an unhealthy and unsafe environment. i constantly get remarks about stuff regarding what i do, my appearance and just everything about me. it hurts a lot. i get verbally abused, and because of these said remarks i’ve developed depression, suicidal thoughts and also anorexia. there hasn’t been a day where i don’t think about committing suicide. my parents are almost always fighting. my mother is always harsh towards me. my siblings never stand up for me. i’ve always felt alone and isolated here, a place where im supposed to feel loved and safe. i’ve tried talking to them about it, which resulted to me getting made fun of and mocked. im losing hope, and i just want all of it to stop. im thinking about running away, maybe stay at a friend’s house for a while. im thinking of leaving a note explaining everything and how im never ever going back home again. but if they still report a runaway file, i see that if i get caught they’re going to try to make me go home again. if i explain everything and convince them to not take me back home, what happens next? i don’t want anything to happen to my friends, nor to any of my siblings. i just want more information as to what happens after they let me stay. thank you.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    Hi there, thank you for reaching out to us! It’s important for you to know that running away is not a crime nor is it illegal, which means you won’t have any serious legal consequences for running away and getting caught. When you run away it is considered a status offense, police must return you home simply because you are a minor. At 15 your parents/legal guardians do have the right to file a runaway report with the police and they would then actively search for you. Although it may not be common it is possible that your parents/legal guardians can charge the person you are staying way for “harboring a runaway” which means keeping you without permission. You may also want to consider shelters in your area, but you should know that each shelter is different some will take you in with no questions asked, some will require to notify your parents/legal guardians (not permission just an attempt to notification), and others will require consent. If you are looking for resources in your area we can help you out, for specific questions please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chatting with us at 1800runaway.org. We are 24/7, confidential and toll-free. We understand that it can be difficult to reach out for help, so we thank you for contacting us! Best of luck!

Guest replied
    Hi, I'm 15 years old what happens if I run away in Georgia I have somewhere safe to stay but will how much trouble will I get in?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod0
    Hey there,
    Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We understand it can be difficult to talk about these things you're dealing with, and we are here for you. Because your aunt and uncle have temporary custody of you, they are your legal guardians. If you do leave their home before the age of 18, they could report to the police that you are a runaway, and your mom could be prosecuted for harboring a runaway. If the court granted your aunt and uncle custody, there could be major consequences for your mom if she takes you to San Antonio, especially if this requires her to take you across state lines (you didn't mention if you are also in Texas). You could possibly talk to your aunt and uncle about spending more time with your mom instead of completely leaving and moving in with her. If you would like to talk in more detail about your situation and explore options, you can reach us by phone or by chat through our website. A service we provide is conference calling, and we could help facilitate a call between you and your aunt and uncle if you feel like that would help you talk to them about what you are wanting.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    his i am 15 and i wanna run away my aunt and uncle have temporary custody of my but i don't wanna stay here no more what happens if my mom comes and picks me up and takes me to san antonio

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. It makes sense that you would want more freedom and independence and it sounds really frustrating to be under such intense supervision. Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do.

We aren’t legal experts here at NRS, but generally speaking, if you do opt to leave your home your parents can file a runaway report, which is essentially a missing person report. Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor. If a runaway report is filed and you are located by the authorities you will most likely be returned home.

It seems like your parents don't fully understand how their constant supervision is affecting you. It could be a good idea to work with a local family counselor or have a conversation mediated by a school counselor/social worker, trusted friend, or family member to help clear the air. If you'd like, you can also call us directly and we can conduct a conference call with your parents so you have a safe environment where you can express yourself.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hello, I'm 15 years old and Live in Colorado (U.S) and I want to get away from home. My parents have me under their thumb with everything and all I want is some freedom and privacy, They love me and care for me, but they stress me out too much. I say I'm "Saving money for a Switch, however, I'm just saving money So I can get a start on running away, most likely to another state. They also took away everything from me (Other than my Computer for HW) so they have no way of knowing where I am. In the event they might find me, are there any consequences against me for running away for a bit?

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X