Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hey....i’m 15 and my parents are divorced and i’m living with my mom....ever since we haven’t been able to get along and fought almost daily....recently she’s been excluding me from everything a family is supposed to be and literally treating me like nothing....she doesn’t talk to me nor try to give me food cuz that’s something i should know how to do at this age....after everything that’s going on emotionally and within my family i can’t deal with any more stress from her...i want to run away...but i don’t have a plan or anything i rly just want to leave this...this hell....idk what to do

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension. It's not fair that your mother excludes you and treats you so poorly. Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do.

You mentioned that your mother doesn't provide you with food stating that's something you should be able to get yourself. This raises sine concern for your safety and well-being since it can be considered neglect. If any harm, neglect, or abuse is happening at home, you have the right to report it. If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/. We can also help you to file a report if that’s the route you are considering. It may also be a good idea to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
      NRS

• Hey, I'm 15 years old and have been thinking about running away for a while now, but not for traditional reasons. I do indeed have a loving, caring family, and would like to stay with them. However, I feel like I need to explore the world. I am fairly different then everyone else at my school and do not have many people I truly connect with. I feel that school is acting as a border or wall, and is limiting my life. I want to explore the world, meet new friends, talk with different people, ect. I am not largely worried about where to stay. However, I do worry about what would happen to my parents, and what would happen to me if I am caught. What would happen to my pathway in school? I would greatly appreciate some advice, and would like to no if I really should run away and take a trip of my own.

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. While your story is not the same as others a good thing to understand is that you are a minor. This means that even the thought of exploring outside out of anywhere is impossible most traveling that can be done overseas or cross country means you need a visa, passport, and a consent form from a parent. It also is a good idea to understand that to survive you would need money for food. hitch hiking, and other things. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      We hope to hear from you soon.
      Be safe, NRS

• Hi, im 15 and my I live with my dad. His gf says stuff she shouldn't be saying to me, and its in front of my dad to. He really doesn't say anything, he just sits there with a blank face.They have been together for 3 three years. My dad got temp custody of me almost 2 years ago. I have cried myself to sleep most nights and have had 2 mental break downs in the last like 3 months. I tell my mom everything bc she deserves to know whats happening to me. I go to a consulor for this and tell her the exact same thing but to be honest she doesn't really help. I don't know what to do, all I could think of is running away. Since I'm 15 would it be illegal if I ran away. Because in my opinion, and other people have said, its not healthy for u there. Ive had ppl come up to me in school and always ask whats wrong because I always look so sad. I want to runaway.

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,

You mentioned some things that raise concern for your safety and well-being. If any harm or abuse is happening at home, you have the right to report it. We are not experts on the issue, but generally once it's been reported, social services will either decide whether or not to take the case and further investigate. If they do take the case, they will send out someone from child protective services to do an investigation (interviewing people in the household) and from there they will decide the level of danger within the household. It generally ranges from no danger (the youth stays in the home, some services are given, and the case is closed), moderate danger (they will provide family services with possible temporary displacement) and high danger (they will remove the youth from the home and offer certain services).

If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/. We can also help you to file a report if that’s the route you are considering.

Please be safe and reach out soon by phone or chat so that we may help.
      Take care,
      NRS

• Hi, im the stepparent of a constant runaway teen. We are from the Memphis, tn area. What facilities can you refer us to that will accept Tenn care insurance.

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe, NRS

• I have been abused sexually by a step brother a while back I am a male and I’m constantly being harassed and yelled at I like my dad and my mom at times but there is too much stress for me here I’m aware of the legal consequences and the runaway report but I can not stay here much longer I’m slipping into depression and alcohol abuse I need help

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.
      Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
      If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best
      Be safe,
      NRS

• Hi I am 15 years old and I am fed up with my moms rules and restrictions and just everything all in all. I have a safe place to stay and someone to help me when i decide to leave. My mom gave parental consent to me by saying ¨if i dont like her rules and ******** I can leave¨ and I took that into consideration. With that being said can she report me as a runnaway if she gave consent?

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension. Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do. It’s great to hear that you have someone supportive in your life who can offer you a safe place to stay.

If your mom does choose to rescind her approval of you leaving home and does file a runaway report you may be taken back home by the authorities; if you are located. Runaway reporting response can vary greatly from state to state so it may be beneficial to call through to your local nonemergency police line (you can usually dial 311) to verify their policy.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
      NRS

• I am 14 and I am being mentally abused and my Nana's she make me do chores like beyond chores as soon as I come in I am getting questions thrown at me left and right and I want to move back in with my mom but we keep going to court and they keep putting it off. She keeps me at home 24/7 and they now won't let me visit my mom. Her husband is very demanding and whatever he says I can or can't do goes. I thought about running away many times but I just don't know where I would go. They don't realize I have grades and test that I have to keep up and study for and I have homework and a relationship and I have things I have to do to and keeping me from my mom and not letting go nowhere kills me. I have been diagnosed with depression and anxiety at age 11 and it is getting wrose now I won't even eat. What should I do?

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,

You mentioned some things that raise concern for your safety and well-being. If any harm or abuse is happening at home, you have the right to report it. We are not experts on the issue, but generally once it's been reported, social services will either decide whether or not to take the case and further investigate. If they do take the case, they will send out someone from child protective services to do an investigation (interviewing people in the household) and from there they will decide the level of danger within the household. It generally ranges from no danger (the youth stays in the home, some services are given, and the case is closed), moderate danger (they will provide family services with possible temporary displacement) and high danger (they will remove the youth from the home and offer certain services).

If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/. We can also help you to file a report if that’s the route you are considering.

Please be safe and reach out soon by phone or chat so that we may help.
      Take care,
      NRS

• I'm more than likely gonna run away then hit up a friend stay there for a bit then just keep going from house to house until I'm out of state from there I don't ********ing know but at least no one in my family will miss me.
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 05-07-2019, 12:25 AM.

Comment

• ccsmod4
      Super Moderator
      • May 2007

Reply: I'm more than likely gonna run away

Hello,
      Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.
      It sounds like you are contemplating running away from home and perhaps it has something to do with feeling disconnected from your family. It’s not hard to understand how that might feel frustrating.

Sometimes talking things out with the people there may be issues with might open communication and options on how to improve relationships.
      We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Take care,
      NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us
      Last edited by ccsmod4; 05-07-2019, 12:33 AM.
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

• I’m 14 but I really want to run away. My parents are against me for everything I do and my mom says she doesn’t care about me anymore. I need to leave or I’ll kill myself

Comment

• ccsmod6
          ccsmod6 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. We’re sorry to hear that your parents are treating you in such a hurtful manner. Everyone deserves to feel loved in their own home. Your mom telling you that she does not care about you is inappropriate and cruel. What you’re feeling is valid and it is okay for you to feel like you need to do something desperate. If you feel like a danger to yourself, it might be worth it to call us on our 24/7 confidential hotline at 1-800-786-2929 or on chat at 1800runaway.org. Additionally, you can always reach out to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255. You can also give us a call about running away. We can talk about how to plan safely and look at options as to where you could go. Again, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us at 1-800-786-2929.

Take care,
          NRS

• Hi I'm 15 gonna be 16 soon and I really wnat to run away I feel like I'm hated and that I don't belong in my family well not completely hated but it's a long story anyways I feel like it is very emotionally damaged more everyday and I'm getting to the point where I can't take it andand I'm losing my temper which will only get me in trouble and I feel as if there's nothing I can do be just go and be aways from here idk what to do. Can you help?

Comment

• ccsmod4
          Super Moderator
          • May 2007

Reply: Hi I'm 15 gonna be 16 soon

Hi there,
          Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.
          It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and not sure what to do.
          We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
          We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance.
          If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Take care,
          NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us
          Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
          [email protected] (Crisis Email)
          1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
          https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

• I am 15 and I’m thinking of my parents have threatened to kick me out but I know if they do they will tell everyone that I ran away and that they’ll be looking for me, but if they do kick me out I’m not gonna want to return so is there a maximum time I can be gonna in Washington state and or what will happen to me if I get caught, cuz if they take me back I’m most likely to leave right after that

Comment

• ccsmod15
              ccsmod15 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi, and thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like there is a lot going on right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. Sorry to hear that your parents are threatening to kick you out. Unfortunately, what you shared with us, parents kicking out a youth and then saying that they have run away does happen.

In most states, including Washington, the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission is 18. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

We are here as support to help through this challenging time. If you'd like to talk in more detail about your situation or have any questions please call 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chat with us (www.1800RUNAWAY.org) as we can best help by phone or chat. Best, NRS

• I'm 15 and it has been my desire to get away from my grandparents my grandpa is a JPO and my grandma is Hippocratic. It hurts to say this but i hate them both so much I've ran away multiple time but now i'm turning 16 in 118 days. Yes i have been counting that's how bad i wanna be gone i'm just worried that i will get arrested if i leave. will i?

Comment

• ccsmod7
              ccsmod7 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like living with your grandparents has taken a major toll on you and you are wanting to leave at 16. That must be an incredibly difficult situation and we truly want to be a support for you.

18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. However, in that case there may be services (family counseling, etc.) available to you as a youth in crisis/runaway but again, police procedures related to offering those services can be different based on your location or the details of your situation. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. One way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth.

Please do not hesitate to call or chat if you have questions, need resources, or need to talk. We can explore your situation, go over all your options, and come up with a plan and resources to deal with your situation over the phone or on live chat.

We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck.

-NRS

• What happens if I’m 15 and runs away from home? I’ve been kicked up and offered to leave but I never did leave. I have a place to stay just concerned about what could happen, iv left a note for my mum and dad. What would happen if I ran away?

Comment

• ccsmod9
              ccsmod9 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi there,
              Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
              While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
              We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
              Be safe,
              NRS
          Working...
          X