Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parents forcing me to get a job at 18

Can my parents force me to get a job at 18, I’m turning 19 in 2 months, also graduated. The problem is my depression is causing me to fall asleep in the day when I don’t want to. I have a doctors appointment to check what’s wrong in early November. I want to wait until then to get a job but they’re saying if I don’t have a job by Friday that they’re forcing me to move into my grandparents. Can they force me to get a job at 18 and move me into my grandparents without my permission? Again turning 19 in 2 months.

Hello there,

Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline today.

We’re so sorry to hear about your depression. It sounds like a hard time, especially with all the pressure to get a job. It sounds like things are really overwhelming right now and we’re glad you contacted us.

Unfortunately, since you’re an adult, your parents can set a standard of expectations for being housed and fed by them. If they don’t feel like you’re actively contributing to the household, they can choose to ask you to leave.

You could try suggesting that you do chores or something else that needs to be done around the house in exchange for housing, but it sounds like they want you to get a job. We can help you with job resources if you’re interested. www.jobcorps.gov is a program to help youth train and find a job. It is similar to college but is typically tax payer supported.

If you’d like to talk about other options, feel free to give us a call. We’re 24/7 and confidential.

Best of luck,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X