Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm 17 years old, and my dad is feeling some type of way.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm 17 years old, and my dad is feeling some type of way.

My parents divorced when I was twelve, and I've essentially lived with my dad since then. I've always wanted to live with my mom and have made that fact known. Recently my dad has gone out of his way to prove that I'm always wrong and that what I was thinking isn't what I've REALLY been thinking, and it's finally set me off. He's always been strict and sometimes outright ignored my feelings, but he's never been this bad before. I can honestly say I'm ready to move out now, but I know that I'm not ready to support myself because of how my life has been here. If I left here to live with my mom, would that be illegal? Since I'm 17, do I get some leeway in the circumstances?

Hi there,
    Thanks for reaching out to us today. It sounds like things are really tough at home and you’re looking to leave now that you’re so near being an adult.
    Unfortunately, we’re not legal experts. We can’t speculate about the law and if you can leave before you’re 18. We do know that if you left, your legal guardian would have the right to report you to the police as a runway. Running away isn’t illegal, but the police could help them return you home. If mom doesn’t have legal custody rights, she may also face charges.
    If you wanted, we could help you call the local police and ask about what could happen if you left. Sometimes they are ok with someone who is nearly an adult leaving home, but that can be rare.
    We’re here to support you in this difficult time. Please consider giving us a call here at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We’re 24/7 and confidential.
    Take care,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X