No announcement yet.

Running Away From Home 20 Years Old

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My parents want me to move out next year. I have a little money, and I need a roommate. What shall I do?

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to write us here at NRS. Its sounds like you are in a tough spot and needing to come up with a plan to live independently.

Since you are 18 you are more than likely considered a legal adult which means that you can move out if you want to and you won’t be considered a runaway.  As a legal adult, you have a right to make your own decisions about where you live.  We can help you make a plan for how to deal with your situation and help you find resources to land on your feet. Having a plan for where you will live and how you will survive once you move out can be very helpful. Moving can be a huge step, and you don’t have to be alone. Some steps you can take towards independence might be to find employment if you don’t have an income, or to save up money for moving expenses. It can also be helpful to research rents in your area, find a roommate, or make a budget. Another thing you might want to consider is what kinds of things you depend on your parents for currently such as tuition expenses for school, or health insurance, and whether they would continue to provide those things after you leave. There may be social service agencies in your area that can help meet some of these needs, such as Transitional Living Programs, a kind of shelter where young adults can live and get services to help them transition to independent living. We are here to listen and help however we can.

We are available 24/7 by phone at 1-800-RUNAWAY or through live chat at 1800runaway.org if you would like to talk more about your plans or you are interested in any resources.

NRS

I’m a 20 year old soon to be father and a victim of emotional abuse and gaslighting. It had always been bad with my family and I was always made to believe it was my fault and that I was a terrible person it wasn’t until I told them about the pregnancy that I saw their true colors. I want to be there for the baby and my girlfriends family is supportive of me being there yet my parents are threatening to get legal guardianship to prevent me from seeing the child. I tried to fly once before and they took my passport and I missed my flight. I have another flight booked and I plan to leave tonight. I want to change my name and seek legal help and stay far away from my family. I plan to inform the local police that I am not missing and that I am running away. What should I do to avoid this legal guardianship?

Comment

• ccsmod5
      ccsmod5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out, it sounds like things have been pretty tough at home lately. We hope to help as best we can. Since you are over 18 you are more than likely considered a legal adult which means that you can move out if you want to and you won’t be considered a runaway. As a legal adult, you have a right to make your own decisions about where you live. We can help you make a plan for how to deal with your situation and help you find resources to land on your feet. Having a plan for where you will live and how you will survive once you move out can be very helpful, if your girlfriend’s family is willing to help, that’s a great step in the right direction! Moving can be a huge step, and you don’t have to be alone. Some steps you can take towards independence might be to find employment if you don’t have an income, or to save up money for moving expenses.
      Also, if you are traveling within the United States, you should be able to board to the plane with just a state ID but it’s safer to have your passport. It might be a good idea to call the airline your traveling with to confirm just in case. In regards, to the guardianship of your baby, your parents have no legal rights over the baby and could not simply request guardianship because they want to. The only reason why you or your girlfriend would lose guardianship over the child is if there is abuse going on or neglect. Being there for your baby is all you need to do!
      We are here to listen and help however we can. If you would like to discuss any of these topics further, please don’t hesitate to reach out!

Stay strong,
      NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X